Uber?

April 2nd, 2018 at 10:07:28 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
I'm only telling you how things work here. the "city limits" is a sign on the road. Lots of streets begin in the city and end outside it. By one such sign, part of a Walmart is in the city and part isn't. I wonder how property taxes work ;)

I gotcha, but my point is that Taxi drivers overcharging and scamming people is a widespread issue, it happens all the time with cabs picking up at McCarran International. Uber completely solves that problem. Even if the driver does pull something shady, Uber has good customer support and is very generous about refunding rides. The people at the end of the phone for Taxi 1-800 numbers are the absolute rudest employees.
April 2nd, 2018 at 11:08:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I got picked up by Uber yesterday in
a car I never heard of, a VW Phaeton.
It's the nicest car I ever rode in, cost
$100,000 new. Like a Bentley or a Rolls
inside.

12 cylinder, takes 12 quarts of oil, 450hp.
Better go a million miles like a Mercedes
for that kind of money.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:25:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
inside.

for that kind of money.

I have always like VW. Even the cheap vw pickup I had was amazing with it's front wheel drive in the snow. Couldn't get it stuck in mud or snow unless it was up to the axle.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-01/volkswagen-filling-abandoned-stadiums-and-swaths-desert-repurchased-diesel-cars This is such a waste, and a shame. Great vehicles rotting in the sun because of politics. America won't let Americans buy diesel rigs from Europe that get 50mpg.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:55:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: gamerfreak
I gotcha, but my point is that Taxi drivers overcharging and scamming people is a widespread issue,

<shrug> that's what they do for a living. Getting you to your destination is incidental :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 3rd, 2018 at 3:37:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
inside.

for that kind of money.

I thought that would be too old to Uber. Total overbuild to compete with the real luxury names. Windshield is so thick the EZPass often will not read. Didn't sell because few people would pay that for a VW.

Saw a review on YT. It had early GPS and you had to load the region you were in from CD-ROM. IIRC it had 5 regions. Cross country trip meant you had to stop and reload. At the time it was probably amazing.
The President is a fink.
April 12th, 2018 at 2:12:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
.S. District Judge Michael Baylson on Wednesday said San Francisco-based Uber does not exert enough control over drivers for its limo service, UberBLACK, to be considered their employer under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The drivers work when they want to and are free to nap, run personal errands, or smoke cigarettes in between rides, Baylson said.

The legal classification of workers has been a major issue for "gig economy" companies that rely on independent contractors. Uber, in particular, has been hit with dozens of lawsuits in recent years claiming that its drivers are employees and are entitled to minimum wage, overtime, and other legal protections not afforded to contractors.

An Uber spokeswoman said the company is pleased with the decision.

Jeremy Abay, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said he would appeal the ruling to the Philadelphia-based 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The 3rd Circuit would be the first federal appeals court to consider whether Uber drivers are properly classified as independent contractors.

Many of the cases filed against Uber have been sent to arbitration, but the plaintiffs in the Philadelphia case were among a small minority of drivers who had opted not to sign arbitration agreements with the company.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/judge-says-uber-drivers-are-not-company-employees/ar-AAvOPBh?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 12th, 2018 at 2:21:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/judge-says-uber-drivers-are-not-company-employees/ar-AAvOPBh?ocid=spartanntp

Gig economy is here to stay. I'm happy for Uber.
The President is a fink.
April 29th, 2018 at 1:55:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Rented a Subaru Outhouse this week,
they were out of compacts. What a
gas guzzling tank of an SUV.

And so many whistles and bells. If
you get near the center line or the
white line on the right, a 'beep beep
beep' annoying alarm goes off. Even
changing lanes, it's drove me nuts.
Just one more thing to break down
in 5 years.

When you get in the vehicle,
music plays for a few seconds. Lights
everywhere for everything. The control
panel lights up to tell you what you're
doing at times. Ridiculous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2018 at 2:16:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think you can turn off the lane alarms thing, although my typical experience in the newest vehicles, is where the hell is the button for this at.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 29th, 2018 at 2:20:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
I think you can turn off the lane alarms thing, although my typical experience in the newest vehicles, is where the hell is the button for this at.

It took me 5min to find where the
time and temp were. Crazy. The
thing had giant wheels and tires,
they must have weighed 200 pounds
each.