Uber?

May 22nd, 2018 at 1:46:35 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I took a Lyft to the bus stop when I took a Chicago trip last weekend.

The driver had an NRA bumper sticker on his car.

One star.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 22nd, 2018 at 2:03:52 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288

One star.

:-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:27:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If I were taking strangers into my car in the dead of night I would have a gun ownership bumper sticker and also a Police Benevolent Association symbol on my key ring. Its better to let them wonder than let them try to find out.
May 23rd, 2018 at 4:59:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
If I were taking strangers into my car in the dead of night I would have a gun ownership bumper sticker and also a Police Benevolent Association symbol on my key ring. Its better to let them wonder than let them try to find out.

Interesting thought. I wonder if there is something to the use of the sticker as a deterrent to crime?
May 23rd, 2018 at 5:26:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: SOOPOO
Interesting thought. I wonder if there is something to the use of the sticker as a deterrent to crime?
Depends upon the circumstances I would think. A homeowner's "Alarm Company" sign doesn't do much, a homeowner's "gun owner" sign just means a burglar is likely to get a good score there. In a vehicle there are no "neighborhood" considerations, particularly at night. So a typed card listing local departments and their radio frequencies goes a long way even if the would-be thief didn't see any aerials or microphones. A key fob that has a PBA emblem on it doesn't mean "ex-cop" or "presently armed" but it raises the likelihood of it and what thief wants an "easy score" to turn into a real mess. Its like that weird girl in San Francisco who carried a florescent bulb around the Mission District hoping that would be muggers would think it was a light saber and not mess with her. No way to really know how often it worked.
May 23rd, 2018 at 9:55:28 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: ams288

One star.

Petty and vindictive. Doesn't seem too much to expect people to rate their driver based on transportation service provided. It's a matter of treating people how you would like to be treated. I can't stand the NRA, by the way.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 23rd, 2018 at 10:11:07 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: JimRockford
I can't stand the NRA, by the way.
If the bumper sticker is thought to be effective as a crime deterrent, the driver's actual views are irrelevant. If it is actually his political statement, its also irrelevant to his driving skills or punctuality or the cleanliness of his car. Think of all those bumper stickers that read Visualize World Peace and also those that read Visualize Whirled Peas. Which was funnier?
May 23rd, 2018 at 10:34:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Depends upon the circumstances I would think. A homeowner's "Alarm Company" sign doesn't do much, a homeowner's "gun owner" sign just means a burglar is likely to get a good score there.

I have heard that thieves will usually ignore a house with an "alarm monitoring" sign. Logic is that why take a chance if you are just hitting a random place. Professionals using tipsters probably will ignore the sign, and if they are a pro probably know how to bypass a true alarm.

I used to have an NRA sign. Not to deter crime, just as a proud member.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2018 at 10:55:12 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Petty and vindictive. Doesn't seem too much to expect people to rate their driver based on transportation service provided. It's a matter of treating people how you would like to be treated. I can't stand the NRA, by the way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He works in customer service. He's moronic if he thinks putting a highly divisive bumper sticker on the car isn't going to rub some of his customers the wrong way. Especially here in far-left Ann Arbor.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 23rd, 2018 at 11:29:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I don't think its petty and vindictive
I never ever discuss politics with my clients
The uber driver is letting his clients know a political stance
I would never ever let a client know where I stand on any political issue
I treat all my clients in a professional manner
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"