Page 2 of 3<123>
September 20th, 2015 at 4:01:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Care to expand on that?

She is just stating the truth:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/in-clinic-abortion-procedures

As to the question, PP has several streams of funding, and in reality should not be getting funds from the Feds in the first place. So they will remain available. At most maybe reduce a few hours here or there, close a marginal office or two, or charge a few dollars more. Same as any private organization.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2015 at 12:33:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: HotBlonde
i know someone who got an abortion through PP

"Through" does not mean the same thing as "at."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 20th, 2015 at 12:36:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
She is just stating the truth:

Where is it on that web site does it say that abortions are done at a PP facility?
September 20th, 2015 at 1:27:38 PM permalink
HotBlonde
Threads: 2
"Through" does not mean the same thing as "at."
i know someone who got abortion pills "AT" a Planned Parenthood facility. Meaning walked in and took a pill in front of the nurse to stop the heartbeat and left with a pill to take 24 hours later to abort the fetus.
September 20th, 2015 at 1:31:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Where is it on that web site does it say that abortions are done at a PP facility?

Wiz, please, you are better than this.

It says right there, "in clinic." I clearly take that to mean a PP clinic.

From Wikipedia: (bold edited)

Quote:
Planned Parenthood is the largest single provider of abortions in the U.S.[8] According to PPFA's own estimates, its contraceptive services prevent approximately 612,000 unintended pregnancies and 291,000 abortions annually.[[42][104]

I will concede that there may be some locations where they do the abortions on-site and some where they use another facility, it is a nationwide outfit after all.

To say PP does not perform abortions is to say GM does not build cars, but Buick does.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2015 at 3:26:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: HotBlonde
i know someone who got abortion pills "AT" a Planned Parenthood facility. Meaning walked in and took a pill in front of the nurse to stop the heartbeat and left with a pill to take 24 hours later to abort the fetus.

It could be argued if that is an "abortion." My interpretation of the word is a medical procedure. By your logic, taking a birth control pill could be called an abortion, because one of the ways those work is to cause a miscarriage after fertilization.

It says right there, "in clinic." I clearly take that to mean a PP clinic.

It does't say whose clinic. It is my understanding they refer people to other clinics.

Quote:
From Wikipedia: Planned Parenthood is the largest single provider of abortions in the U.S.[8] According to PPFA's own estimates, its contraceptive services prevent approximately 612,000 unintended pregnancies and 291,000 abortions annually.[42][104]

Hmmm. I'm not conceding defeat, but it is possible I was wrong. My contention was mainly based on my understanding that federal money cannot be used directly for abortions, which is a policy I support, by the way.
September 20th, 2015 at 4:02:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Hmmm. I'm not conceding defeat, but it is possible I was wrong.

I can find no evidence anywhere that
most abortions are performed anywhere
else other than a PP facility. I looked and
looked.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/in-clinic-abortion-procedures
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2015 at 4:06:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman

It does't say whose clinic. It is my understanding they refer people to other clinics.

They might, but here is how it is locally:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/five-abortion-facilities-have-closed-in-pittsburgh-because-of-gosnell-inspi

Quote:
There are now only two abortion centers operating in the Pittsburgh area.

The new, higher health standards have cost remaining facilities hundreds of thousands of dollars as they struggle to elevate their traditional practices.

One of those is Pittsburgh Planned Parenthood, which had to spend more than $300,000 on upgrades to the facility and the hiring of additional staff to meet basic safety requirements. Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Rebecca Cavanaugh told the Tribune-Review that the cost of the upgrades may have to be passed on to their consumers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=abortion+clinics+in+pittsburgh+pa

To be fair, I did the same search for Las Vegas and PP did not make the list, but the list was larger. This is not a surprise as LAS is a younger city than PIT and has more features that might push the woman towards choosing an abortion (e.g.: more transient so less family support.) However, a google of "Planned Parenthood Las Vegas" shows 2 of 3 listing "abortion" under "services provided." No disclaimer of it being referred out. A search in Reno said that PP was closing their clinic in 2011.

I am going to use the civil standard of "preponderance of evidence" and rest my case at this point.

Quote:
Hmmm. I'm not conceding defeat, but it is possible I was wrong. My contention was mainly based on my understanding that federal money cannot be used directly for abortions, which is a policy I support, by the way.

It goes back to what EB said. The money goes for other things, but once mixed it is mixed. PP makes a profit on a mammogram, they can then lower prices for abortion, even if federal dollars cannot be used directly.

Follow the money and follow who is defending PP. There are any number of places a woman can go to get "woman stuff" done at a doctor. But the most pro-abortion pols defend PP to the point that they will shut the government over it. Why?

If the GOP was really smart, and sadly they are not, they would just re-direct the same funds to other clinics for a good flanking maneuver.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2015 at 4:11:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

It goes back to what EB said. The money goes for other things, but once mixed it is mixed.

It's like giving money to the Nazi Party
in 1938 with the understanding none
of it would go towards the death camps.
Even if none of it did, it goes for
what the Nazi's stood for, death camps.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2015 at 4:54:38 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I sort of agree with the "same pot" argument.

If some organization, such as PP, spends $100 on services but doesn't provide abortions, which then gets $100 from the government to spend on services other than abortion,

Well now they have $200 to spend on services and can expand their services by spending $50 to provide abortions.

On the one hand, they can say that $50 came out of their original $100.

On the other hand, it sure looks like federal funding allowed them to expand their services and provide abortions.

I'm not suggesting that PP did not provide abortions before they received any federal funding, but just as an example of how this restricted funding can be used to free up unrestricted funds.

So, while technically PP might not be spending federal dollars directly on abortions, those federal funds free up other dollars in the budget that can be used for abortions.

From following all of these links, it also looks to me like PP does directly provide abortions, something near 300,000 a year.

I think AZ copied and bolded the wrong thing, though - I think what that sentance says is through contraceptive services PP prevented 291,000 abortions.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 2 of 3<123>