evicting the illegal immigrants

Page 4 of 4<1234
September 15th, 2017 at 2:58:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3329
Quote: AZDuffman
It is an awesome thing. Great photo op for both sides.
I saw this story and wanted to post it as I thought the poster above was being ridiculous even mentioning illegals, in this kid mowing a ***ing lawn, without the backstory. Trying to turn even this into some racist divide.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
September 15th, 2017 at 3:06:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8875
Quote: petroglyph
I saw this story and wanted to post it as I thought the poster above was being ridiculous even mentioning illegals, in this kid mowing a ***ing lawn, without the backstory. Trying to turn even this into some racist divide.


Liberals I guess are all over Twitter about "child labor laws" and they are SERIOUS. I mean, you want to make a joke, make an intelligent joke. But they are actually getting upset over it.

Thing is, we have lost something in the USA with kids not doing lawns like they used to. Same with paper routes. This kid will not end up some sad cubicle monkey, counting the hours until friday. Need more of this!
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 15th, 2017 at 3:20:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3329
Quote: AZDuffman
Liberals I guess are all over Twitter about "child labor laws" and they are SERIOUS. I mean, you want to make a joke, make an intelligent joke. But they are actually getting upset over it.

Thing is, we have lost something in the USA with kids not doing lawns like they used to. Same with paper routes. This kid will not end up some sad cubicle monkey, counting the hours until friday. Need more of this!
I remember coming through my teen years feeling sorry for the younger kids getting locked out of jobs by labor laws.

Teaching our kids to earn their own money and not be afraid of work is one of the very most important things a parent can do for a child.

And this is coming from probably the most pro labor pro union member on the board.

Raising kids I preached two things to them. I wanted them, "to be happy", and to be able to stand on their own two feet. Christ, it's part of growing up, to have the skills to support ones self.

I was looking for a link I saw recently about the universal minimum income. I found one for Hawaii, and I think HRC tried to push for it, or maybe Bernie? This will hasten my demise.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
September 15th, 2017 at 4:01:54 PM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 15
Posts: 3417
Quote: petroglyph
I saw this story and wanted to post it as I thought the poster above was being ridiculous even mentioning illegals, in this kid mowing a ***ing lawn, without the backstory. Trying to turn even this into some racist divide.


It was a *joke*

Don't get your panties in a twist!
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
September 15th, 2017 at 4:15:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8875
Quote: petroglyph
I remember coming through my teen years feeling sorry for the younger kids getting locked out of jobs by labor laws.

Teaching our kids to earn their own money and not be afraid of work is one of the very most important things a parent can do for a child.

And this is coming from probably the most pro labor pro union member on the board.

Raising kids I preached two things to them. I wanted them, "to be happy", and to be able to stand on their own two feet. Christ, it's part of growing up, to have the skills to support ones self.


I grew up in a totally union family. My dad's brothers eventually fell out of it. What I regret was that we were taught to "work" not to "earn." Get a job with benefits. My old man harped "benefits, benefits, benefits!" As I fell into being a landman he stopped asking because I told him how it worked. But he never really got it.

My brother is really working to teach his kids to earn not work. They are all under 5, but we have discussed it. How much further we would have went.

To this day I can tell people who had a paper route or some other business as a kid. Their customer service is so much better. I had grown men didn't know what I new at age 14 about keeping customers happy.


Quote:
I was looking for a link I saw recently about the universal minimum income. I found one for Hawaii, and I think HRC tried to push for it, or maybe Bernie? This will hasten my demise.


It would be more Bernie than Hillary, though it is really more fringe-left than even both of them. It is a pet of Zukenberg to name one. It would be the end of freedom as we know it.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 15th, 2017 at 5:22:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3329
Quote: AZDuffman
What I regret was that we were taught to "work" not to "earn."
Same here. I think maybe that was because my first few years, he was a boss on some construction jobs I had, and wasn't concerned as much with me making a profit, as the company? Could be because he came up at the tail end of the depression, when any work was desirable?

When bosses kids come on a job, they are either coddled or worked double hard. I was the latter. But it taught me not to be afraid of it, and I think that is what a bit of what we are talking about here, is. What a wonderful thing confidence is, that comes from experience.

I've said before, sometimes it takes working some really crappy jobs, [ like lawn mowing or a paper route] to know when you have a good one.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
September 15th, 2017 at 5:37:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 112
Posts: 8875
Quote: petroglyph
Same here. I think maybe that was because my first few years, he was a boss on some construction jobs I had, and wasn't concerned as much with me making a profit, as the company? Could be because he came up at the tail end of the depression, when any work was desirable?


Could be. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a good boro. The "tracks" being the state highway that made us an exclave which while a nicer neighborhood was tougher than it looked. My brother and I were the only kids our age to not end up in a life a mess. Kids up the street on one side were juvenile delinquents. Kid down the street ended up killed by drug dealers in a beef with his sister. Other kid up the street is a late-40s dope addict and CI, meaning the cops will suck the life out of him until he ODs or gets whacked.

So coming out of that if you hold a steady job it is a real success I guess.

It was not until my 40s and near bankrupt I learned how to really hustle. How to really market, network, and think to earn career wise. One guy I worked with and got laid off with called me a "cat" for how I now land on my feet job wise. Youth is indeed wasted on the young.

Quote:
I've said before, sometimes it takes working some really crappy jobs, [ like lawn mowing or a paper route] to know when you have a good one.


I started the list on here somewhere of jobs every man should have in life. Working in the cold/hot. Working with the public. Working a job where money is based on how business is doing (i.e.: a busy or slow nite is how you earn.) I truly believe if more men had more of that kind of job the less entitled mentality we would have. Ironically, most of the rich people I know or meet have had crappy jobs at one point or another.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 15th, 2017 at 6:34:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 6717
I'm sure Trump gets many letters offering to clean his clock.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
Page 4 of 4<1234