USA-No longer a free country

Page 7 of 8« First<45678>
January 9th, 2017 at 8:24:47 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
City destroys woman's survival garden.

Not just a loss of freedom, but why I say the USA will never again win a major war. Way back we were encouraged to plant "Victory Gardens" to be more self-sufficient. Today if you house is not all artificial landscape the city cannot stand it!

BTW: I don't care if part was the "front yard." No good reason you should not be allowed a vegetable garden in your front yard.

Much ado about nothing
The community allows a garden to grow food
Anything over 12 inches allowed if its edible
She simply let her front yard grow wild
She was not growing food, she was lazy
She claimed all the overgrown wild plants were edible
Of course she lost her case

Had a coworker Cowboy Bob Burke. neighbor complained his grass was tall, no weeds, just tall grass. Bob got a permit for a bird sanctuary and let weeds grow 5 feet tall the next summer.
January 10th, 2017 at 12:03:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I can't imagine anybody passing a law against that in Michigan.

It's why god invented remote car starters.
My wife wouldn't have a car without one.
She lets it run 15min before she even
goes outside. Installing them is big
business around here.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 10th, 2017 at 2:02:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yards are new in America.
One family in Pasadena makes a living from their yard including chickens and over a dozen different crops. Pasaden, California that is.
Bird Sanctuary....that's clever.

I wonder about perhaps a dozen 128.00 citations a year versus perhaps one stolen car per year?

Just a way to raise funds and anger the public. Most laws are like that.
January 10th, 2017 at 10:59:11 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Until civil asset forfeiture laws are corrected, I agree with the OP and thread title. We are not free.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 10th, 2017 at 11:17:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: JimRockford
Until civil asset forfeiture laws are corrected...
You mean the police should actually fight crime rather than seize assets to get more funds?
January 10th, 2017 at 3:34:08 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Vladimir Putin banned swearing (curse words) in 2014. Now Putin is proposing a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after 2015.
January 10th, 2017 at 3:40:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
Vladimir Putin banned swearing (curse words) in 2014. Now Putin is proposing a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after 2015.

That's a tough one, big smoking culture.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2017 at 11:55:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: JimRockford
Until civil asset forfeiture laws are corrected, I agree with the OP and thread title. We are not free.

From TechDirt:

Chuck Canterbury, the president of the Fraternal Order of Police, has been given an editorial megaphone over at the Daily Caller. Canterbury's using this platform to defend the pretty much indefensible: civil asset forfeiture.

Colloquially known as "cops going shopping for things they want," asset forfeiture supposedly is used to take funds and property away from criminal organizations. In reality, it's become an easy way for law enforcement to take the property of others without having to put much effort into justifying the seizures. In most states, convictions are not required, meaning supposed criminal suspects are free to go… but their property isn't.

Canterbury, who previously aired his grievances nationally over director Quentin Tarantino's participation in an anti-police brutality rally, opens up this piece by trying to equate factual reporting with current hot button topic "fake news."
January 11th, 2017 at 12:15:43 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Can a newborn leave the hospital without a SS#? I don't think so, or giving at least a footprint or fingerprint. If the baby was free, it could leave when the parents felt like it, not when the feds say it is ok.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 11th, 2017 at 1:16:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
finger prints are pretty much useless on a newborn,,, foot prints are routine as is a heel stick with a needle for a state mandated metabolic diseases scan (about forty rare diseases). See my prior post about a 1.999 result that was less than 2.0 and so was reported as 'normal', costing millions in lifetime medical bills. No need for a SS number.
Page 7 of 8« First<45678>