3 votes (16.66%)
8 votes (44.44%)
No votes (0%)

18 members have voted

September 25th, 2015 at 7:33:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Just curious.

I've never flown on anything other than economy (aka coach).

I can see the attraction for long flights, say anything over 3 hours, and certainly for long-haul flights of 10-14 hours (or longer), with or without intermediate stops. And if you have the money, go for it by all means. But it seems wasteful on short flights.

I'm not including any kind of economy plus, under any name, because that's a very different matter.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 25th, 2015 at 8:03:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I've never flown on anything other than economy (aka coach).

You need to fly over 50,000 miles in one year on a single airline. Then you get lots of upgrade certificates. It certainly makes crossing the ocean much more comfortable.
September 25th, 2015 at 8:34:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I try to fly in at least premium economy on long flights, depending on the additional cost. It tends to be cheaper to upgrade going to/from poorer countries. On my upcoming trip to Germany I'm flying business class on Condor. I know Germany is a rich country, but the cost of every seat on Condor was surprisingly cheap.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 26th, 2015 at 6:35:17 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I've obviously never flown fancy, though once I did get the very first row of coach that had the extra legroom due to their being nothing in front of me. It was like the height of luxury. That one detail was enough to take the experience past the next level.

I dunno what 1st class entails, but I'm sure most of it would be lost on me. All I want is one comfortable seat and to not be a casualty statistic.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 26th, 2015 at 7:37:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
You need to fly over 50,000 miles in one year on a single airline.

I'm not sure I've flown that much in my life (I mean, probably, but who knows).

I last crossed the Atlantic in 1985, Gatwick to Houston on a Continental DC-10 a little over 1/3 full.
September 26th, 2015 at 8:05:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
I dunno what 1st class entails, but I'm sure most of it would be lost on me.

I don't think it could be lost on anyone.

Until not too long ago, say the mid-90s or so, it meant merely wider, more comfortable seats, more legroom and better service (ie better food, complimentary drinks, amenity packs etc.) Individual screens, as opposed to overhead screens, first showed up on first class. Business was like first, except not so wide, not so much legroom and perhaps a little less better service.

Now things are really different. Your typical first or business class "seat," on long-haul and medium-haul flights (shorter flights on smaller craft can be different) are really individualized pods with seats in them. The seats in most airlines can be configured to lie flat, like a bed. There's a big flat screen for entertainment, amenity packs, pajamas, storage spaces, power outlets, etc.

Some airlines have a bar or lounge for business and/or first class passengers. The lavatories are roomier and more nicely appointed. Some airlines, notably the ones in the Middle East, have begun adding suites and showers on the A-380.

With first and business, you also get access to lounges at most airports.

Quote:
All I want is one comfortable seat and to not be a casualty statistic.

Oh, it's a well known fact first class passengers are teleported away in case of a crash ;)
September 26th, 2015 at 9:02:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
It isn't that business is great but that coach is simply torture. There was an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine flew in different classes that put it way better than I ever could.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 27th, 2015 at 5:01:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
There was an episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine flew in different classes that put it way better than I ever could.

It was way unrealistic and much exaggerated.

For one thing, no airline in existence would let a passenger hold his luggage on his lap at any time during the flight. like we see Elaine's seatmate do. And there were other misrepresentations and errors, too.
September 27th, 2015 at 6:32:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It isn't that business is great but that coach is simply torture.

It's the 17" width and 28" pitch that makes you crazy.
September 27th, 2015 at 8:23:01 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
I don't think it could be lost on anyone.

I don't think you understand how simple I am.

I've never seen the luxury you're describing. I mean, sure, I've seen it on the internet, probably one of Paco's posts talking about all these airlines. But on the planes I've been on, I saw no benefits from 1st or business outside of just having more room.

I had the TV experience a few times. On JetBlue, I did think it was neat to see the GPS, where we were, airspeed and altitude. And one flight I did consume one of the Hobbit movies. But I am perfectly fine with my nose in a paperback. All I ever drink in flight is water. I'm already in pajamas. I have nothing to store, nothing in need of charging. I don't know what an "amenity" consists of or why I'd need a pack of them.

I have never seen a seat that could go horizontal. Now that is worth whatever they're charging. But that falls under the "more room" category, which as I said, is the only benefit I see. Perhaps an actual businessman would dig the power and the internet access and being waited on hand and foot. I just want a comfortable seat and a water every 90 minutes. Because, well...

...coach is simply torture.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 91234>Last »