3 votes (16.66%)
8 votes (44.44%)
No votes (0%)

18 members have voted

September 27th, 2015 at 7:39:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I've never seen the luxury you're describing. I mean, sure, I've seen it on the internet, probably one of Paco's posts talking about all these airlines. But on the planes I've been on, I saw no benefits from 1st or business outside of just having more room.

Me too.

Quote:
I had the TV experience a few times. On JetBlue, I did think it was neat to see the GPS, where we were, airspeed and altitude.

I love having the map and info display. Interjet does it but on tiny overhead screens. The new Aeromexico coach seats on all too few planes, do have it on seat back screens.

Quote:
But I am perfectly fine with my nose in a paperback.

Oh, it's been decades since I boarded a plane without a book or two, or a few magazines purchased at the airport. Lately I make use of the time with a lecture series or a podcast. Besides the map, I'd have little use for the entertainment system.

Quote:
I don't know what an "amenity" consists of or why I'd need a pack of them.

It varies. Most have something like skin lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, a sleep mask, ear plugs, things like that.

Quote:
I have never seen a seat that could go horizontal. Now that is worth whatever they're charging. But that falls under the "more room" category, which as I said, is the only benefit I see.

That and the food. But it's not just "more room" for me.

I have a hard time sleeping on a plane, or a bus for that matter, because I sleep on my side. that's impossible to do on an upright seat, even when reclined. A bed would be great. Of course, I'd hate to pay the exorbitant price for one, and then find out I still can't sleep for some reason...

The last time I slept well on a plane was in 1985, on a Continental DC-10 a bit over 1/3 full. Though I had a window seat, there were so many empty spots that one could take over a whole row of middle seats, raise all the armrests, and lie down rather comfortably. It helped that, at the time, pillows and blankets were complimentary on coach.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2015 at 7:14:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Come to think of it, I haven't considered a seatbelt in all this. Of course the seat lying flat with a mattress cover still has a seatbelt, and of course you should strap yourself in during the flight. Why? In case of bad turbulence. It's rare, but when it happens you'll be glad you had the seatbelt on. I've never experienced it, but I've seen the results. Or in case of a sudden dive. This too is rare, but it happens.
September 28th, 2015 at 9:22:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
I don't think you understand how simple I am.

I think your average person can understand money spent on non-transient things. He might understand $1500 spent on a television that will be with him for 7 years. Some people feel that $700 spent on an iphone for 3 or 4 years is worthwhile.

Some people can see spending $200 on a special occasion for a fine meal and a bottle of wine. But the idea of spending what a good hotel room costs for a week plus a dozen great meals for a 7 hour flight is completely lost on your average person.
September 28th, 2015 at 10:33:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
But the idea of spending what a good hotel room costs for a week plus a dozen great meals for a 7 hour flight is completely lost on your average person.

Hey, I won't pay for a cab to/from the airport in Vegas, nor for a cab to/from the airport in Toluca, though it would be faster than the shuttle in both cases. I shake my head at people who pay for premium class (about domestic business old style) for a 50 minute flight.

But in the abstract, flying business or first on a long-haul flight would be great. If I had the money to spare, if I had the miles to spare, etc.

If I flew more often on business, and in a variety of airlines, I'd write up reports for travel sites. That can get you noticed by airlines and you may, in time, get invited to try out their services.
September 28th, 2015 at 10:56:45 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I think your average person can understand money spent on non-transient things. He might understand $1500 spent on a television that will be with him for 7 years. Some people feel that $700 spent on an iphone for 3 or 4 years is worthwhile.

Some people can see spending $200 on a special occasion for a fine meal and a bottle of wine. But the idea of spending what a good hotel room costs for a week plus a dozen great meals for a 7 hour flight is completely lost on your average person.
I fly to Asia on business 2 times per year on average. The long haul across the Pacific each way is 12 to 14 hours. Since Austin has very few international flights my itinerary usually has two stops so total travel time each way is around 24 hours including layovers.

I have done this flying coach for years, but my company now allows me to fly business class on the long haul which means first class on the connecting flights. But there's a catch. If I choose to fly coach, I get a bonus at the end of my trip, about $900 after tax. At first, I took the cash, but then I went business class for a couple of trips that were booked on very short notice. Now I can't go back to coach, so I forgo $900 cash for the privilege. I feel a little guilty about it, but I just can't do it anymore.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 28th, 2015 at 12:41:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: JimRockford
Now I can't go back to coach, so I forgo $900 cash for the privilege. I feel a little guilty about it, but I just can't do it anymore.

If it's any consolation, the price difference between coach and business is a lot more than $900 for a trans-pacific flight. Would you get anything for flying one of the economy plus classes? they vary between more leg room to near old-style business class.

Would you say which airlines you usually fly? I hear the big Asian lines (Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Ana, etc) offer much better service than the American ones (like Delta, American and United)
September 28th, 2015 at 1:09:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: JimRockford
I fly to Asia on business 2 times per year on average. The long haul across the Pacific each way is 12 to 14 hours. Since Austin has very few international flights my itinerary usually has two stops so total travel time each way is around 24 hours including layovers.

Austin has no flights to Asia (not even Tokyo). What are your normal two stops? I would think for most routes one stop at LAX would be all that is required.
British Airways London–Heathrow
Condor Seasonal: Frankfurt (begins June 27, 2016)
Air Canada Express Toronto–Pearson

Foregoing a $900 bonus is still different than paying the true cost of a transPacific upgrade. I would probably be tempted as well if the total travel time adds up to 24 hours and you have to be awake for business.
September 28th, 2015 at 1:23:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Austin has no flights to Asia (not even Tokyo). What are your normal two stops?

I assumed Houston or Dallas. But then they may draw more European long-haul traffic.
September 28th, 2015 at 3:31:02 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: Nareed
Would you get anything for flying one of the economy plus classes? they vary between more leg room to near old-style business class.

Would you say which airlines you usually fly? I hear the big Asian lines (Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Ana, etc) offer much better service than the American ones (like Delta, American and United)
Economy plus is a lesser bonus, about $500 after tax. A few years ago when I had to fly coach, I almost always managed to get an exit row seat for the long haul. The exit row seat on the big planes has about 6 feet of clear space in front of it so leg room is unlimited and the guy on the window side can stand up and walk around the guy on the isle. Now those seats are classified as economy plus and cost extra.

Since I have been flying business class it has been on United or American. There is no question the service is better on the Asia based airlines, although it probably doesn't make much difference in business class, because even the American crews treat you better in Business / First. In coach class I have flown Cathay, Singapore and JAL. The food is better (you are better off ordering the Asian choice instead of the western choice). You get complimentary beer or wine with meals. The flight attendants are young and attractive and don't have the surly attitude that Americans have become familiar with. They are not overly friendly in the Western tradition. They are all business, but they are pleasant, efficient and they treat you with respect. The hair and uniforms make them look kind of like they stepped out of 1962.
September 28th, 2015 at 3:40:02 PM permalink
JimRockford
Austin has no flights to Asia (not even Tokyo). What are your normal two stops? I would think for most routes one stop at LAX would be all that is required.
British Airways London–Heathrow
Condor Seasonal: Frankfurt (begins June 27, 2016)
Air Canada Express Toronto–Pearson

Foregoing a $900 bonus is still different than paying the true cost of a transPacific upgrade. I would probably be tempted as well if the total travel time adds up to 24 hours and you have to be awake for business.
Yeah, that is part of my reasoning. After a coach flight, I arrive at my destination feeling tired and beat up to the point that it is hard to think clearly enough to get to the hotel. With business class, I am tired but not beat up and exhausted.

I go to Singapore, Seoul, Taipei, Shanghai and sometimes Manila, so the itinerary is rarely the same. the US connection is normally LAX, but sometimes Dallas, San Francisco or Chicago. There are direct flights to destination from there but usually for price or schedule considerations, I end up connecting through Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Taipei. I am planning a trip to Singapore in December and it looks like I will go through Taipei. The last time I went to Taipei, I had a layover in Tokyo.
Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »