3 votes (16.66%)
8 votes (44.44%)
No votes (0%)

18 members have voted

September 28th, 2015 at 5:05:28 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: JimRockford
The exit row seat on the big planes has about 6 feet of clear space in front of it so leg room is unlimited

Many airlines are charging extra for exit row seats. Interjet has great pitch (Paco knows how much), and on the exit row it's insanely large. I don't even try to seat at the exits anymore. I get enough room on regular seats, and I prefer to have my stuff handy under the front seat rather than overhead.

Quote:
Since I have been flying business class it has been on United or American. There is no question the service is better on the Asia based airlines, although it probably doesn't make much difference in business class, because even the American crews treat you better in Business / First.

Partly, I think, it's because the crews in business and first get better pay. Partly, too, it's a nicer environment for them as well. Wide aisles, fewer people (though perhaps more demanding), more room for them to move about, etc. they're bound to be in a better mood. I wonder what the work load is like? In some airlines food service in first/business is on demand. That is, passengers eat when they want, and possibly what they want.

Quote:
In coach class I have flown Cathay, Singapore and JAL. The food is better (you are better off ordering the Asian choice instead of the western choice). You get complimentary beer or wine with meals.

Interjet still offers complimentary beer and spirits, alas no wine, on all flights at all times. Though in flights before 11 am, you have to ask for them, as they won't offer them in the drinks cart. I think Aeromexico still does. I don't think Volaris does any more, and Viva Aerobus never did. No idea about Aeromar.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2015 at 8:06:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Many airlines are charging extra for exit row seats. Interjet has great pitch (Paco knows how much), and on the exit row it's insanely large. I don't even try to seat at the exits anymore. I get enough room on regular seats, and I prefer to have my stuff handy under the front seat rather than overhead.

The closest airline to Interjet in the USA is Jetblue. But all three low cost carriers in Mexico (Interjet, Volaris, and Vivaaerobus) have single class configurations. They all fly primarily the A319-A320-A321 models. But if Viva puts 30 rows of seats, Interjet only puts 25 rows, leaving 36" pitch.

Interjet still has 3 and 3 seating, but they fill a relatively small number of the middle seats. Certainly for domestic business travel they are the overwhelming favorite All of the Low Cost Carriers in Mexico have some international travel, but only AeroMexico has widebodies for long distance travel. So Aeromexico still controls most of the air traffic in Mexico.

Essentially, Mexico has only three air hubs, (Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey) with MC much bigger than the other two. The two outlying airports of great importance are Cancun and Tijuana. With air travel exploding in Mexico in recent years, the need for a new airport in Mexico city has moved beyond critical.

Mexico moves at least 2 people by executive/luxury bus (a form of transport almost nonexistent in the USA) for every person that goes by domestic air. Of course, no matter how luxurious you make a bus, it is still slow. The low cost air carriers in Mexico want to take over most of this traffic.
September 29th, 2015 at 8:44:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Interjet still has 3 and 3 seating, but they fill a relatively small number of the middle seats. Certainly for domestic business travel they are the overwhelming favorite

I wonder how much longer it will last.

At our company, we almost invariably use Interjet, with Aeromexico as a second option and only if scheduling is more convenient. But Volaris is embracing the Spirit philosophy of reducing fares and charging extra for everything but the seat and air. If their fares drop enough, and management notices it, that may become the airline of choice.

I've flown it several times. It's not bad at all, though it's more cramped. I understand now they'll charge for drinks and snacks. That's ok, as I can make do on a domestic flight without either (usually these flights are between 45-90 minutes long, after all), But I would miss Interjet.

Out of curiosity I did a comparison on the flight to Vegas. Assuming two checked bags, Interjet remains cheaper! Assuming one checked bag, they're about the same. I'll take the leg room, free snack and two checked bags.
September 30th, 2015 at 7:09:06 AM permalink
Nareed
I went into Interjet's page yesterday (doesn't everyone browse airline websites for fun??) and found out they now offer a taxi service in Vegas. A "shared" cab Downtown goes for about $35 US round trip. That's about double the price of a round trip on a shuttle. I'll try to get more details. I mean, it would seem a shared cab would hold 4 people and their bags. But at two bags plus carry on per passenger, a sedan would have no room. So maybe they use small vans?
September 30th, 2015 at 10:16:19 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
SAS flies the longest nonstop 737 flight in the world: 10 hours from Stavanger, Norway to Houston, TX.

Now before you disparage the thought of being stuck in a (relatively) small 737 for 10 hours, this flight offers a great perk for a 737: no economy class. All 44 passengers sit in business class, with lie-flat seats.

Apparently this perk isn't unique to SAS. La Compagnie does not offer economy class. All of the seats on La Compagnie's 757 service from Newark to Paris (or London) are business class with lie-flat seats. It's one of the world's smallest airlines: they have a fleet of, uh, 2. Two airplanes.

October 1st, 2015 at 3:07:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: reno
SAS flies the longest nonstop 737 flight in the world: 10 hours from Stavanger, Norway to Houston, TX.

Quote: http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/15/sk-iahewr-w15/
The airline cancels existing 6 weekly operation on Stavanger – Houston route, on board Boeing 737-700 by Privatair. The 44-seater all-Business Class Boeing 737-700 will be re-configured to 2-class C20Y66 88-seater, which will be operating on Copenhagen – Newark SK901/902 service.

I guess the oil executive business is cutting back. Copenhagen is only 345 miles from Stavanger, so SAS will probably put in a connector flight that matches the new flight time schedule. The 737 flight will actually be 326 miles longer.
October 1st, 2015 at 7:45:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: reno
Apparently this perk isn't unique to SAS. La Compagnie does not offer economy class.

I can't help but notice there is no screen in front of the seat in the top picture. I may be a trick of the angle, I suppose.
October 1st, 2015 at 9:08:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I can't help but notice there is no screen in front of the seat in the top picture.

Lie flat seats are incompatible with screens built into the back of seats. These airlines use hand held DVD players.

October 1st, 2015 at 2:08:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Lie flat seats are incompatible with screens built into the back of seats.

That's why other airlines use the plastic shell pods to contain the screen and storage area.
October 2nd, 2015 at 10:40:44 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
For me the biggest benefit of business class is the lie flat seats. As I said when I fly internationally, I have my travel time is about 24 hours and being able to REALLY sleep is valuable. However don't underestimate the ancillary benefits. Whenever you encounter a long line, there is a short line for you. The airline lounges are quite a relief when you have a long layover. Decent coffee, comfortable seating, lots of places to plug in, no hassle WiFi, free snacks and beverages. In Seoul you can get a hot meal from a buffet. In the US they have free bars. In Asia it's self server beer wine and hard stuff. The lounge also has an airline customer service counter so if your connection got canceled or something you can re-book at the lounge and there is usually no line. Business class gives you double miles.

Did you say pajamas? I've never seen that, must be a first class thing. That's silly. Am I supposed to put my 6'1" 200lb frame into that tiny airplane bathroom and change clothes or just change in the isle? If I am allowed to take my pants off in the cabin, I'll just do that. Who needs pajamas.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 3 of 9<123456>Last »