3 votes (16.66%)
8 votes (44.44%)
No votes (0%)

18 members have voted

October 2nd, 2015 at 11:27:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: JimRockford
For me the biggest benefit of business class is the lie flat seats. As I said when I fly internationally, I have my travel time is about 24 hours and being able to REALLY sleep is valuable.

Looking in from outside, that's also what I see as most attractive on long haul flights. Even shorter flights of around 10 hours.

Quote:
Whenever you encounter a long line, there is a short line for you.

Oh, I've seen that!

Funny thing, though, is travelling to and from the US with a Mexican passport. You always get the long line at immigration. See, in the US there's a line for US citizens and one for foreigners. Usually you have many more of the latter, regardless of time and place. Going back to Mexico there is one line for Mexican citizens and one for foreigners. But again usually there are more Mexicans than foreigners. So you get the long line also.

Quote:
Did you say pajamas? I've never seen that, must be a first class thing. That's silly. Am I supposed to put my 6'1" 200lb frame into that tiny airplane bathroom and change clothes or just change in the isle? If I am allowed to take my pants off in the cabin, I'll just do that. Who needs pajamas.

Think of me as the country bumpkin reading about high society in the city. Ok? Good. As I understand it, pajamas are standard in first class for most airlines. Some Asian ones apparently also offer them on business class. I gather one changes in the lavatory. And then you have to change back.

Personally I'd favor wearing some loose lounge slacks (not velour) and a flowing, light top with a belt. Undo the belt and you're ready for bed. Though after a 14 hour flight, I wouldn't mind changing into a spare set of clothes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2015 at 12:53:27 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I used to fly about once a week for business but most of my commercial flight is now for pleasure. I was lucky back then because probably 75% of my travel was first class. For me one of the biggest perks was getting off the plane first. Many times it was a rush to make an appointment and sitting at the back of the plane may add an extra 15 minutes to de-plane.

Fortunately, most of my business travel now is in private planes. Most of the planes are small 8 to 10 seats and they are not very luxurious. I compare them to a minivan with wings. The biggest perk for me of flying private is avoiding the airport terminals and TSA.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 2nd, 2015 at 1:05:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Most of the planes are small 8 to 10 seats and they are not very luxurious. I compare them to a minivan with wings. The biggest perk for me of flying private is avoiding the airport terminals and TSA.

As with everything, they exist in all kinds. A single engine Cessna big enough for two people is a private plane and worse even than coach.

Recently I've heard of "empty legs." Many "private" planes actually belong to companies who lease them or rent them for trips, kind of like a high-end charter. Often a plane will be in city X and is needed at City Y but lacks any passengers. When this happens, these companies offer passage on their plane rather cheap (in comparison). They usually sell a flight (from what I understand) rather than seats.

So, say a small jet for 4 people might be offered for $1,500, as an example, going from, also as an example, LA to San Francisco. If you can get three people to join you, that's $375 per head. Not bad if the jet is nicely appointed, though I'd doubt they'd include drinks, meals or even snacks.

Back to "private" jets, keep in mind Boeing ahs a whole division called Boeing Business Jet. Some people who have the means, and governments as well, one suspects, commonly use a B-737 for their private flying. The interior can be as luxurious as your means allow.

That's for starters. You can get any commercial Boeing type for a business/private jet, up to a brand new B-747 8I

As I said, they exist in all kinds.
October 2nd, 2015 at 1:45:11 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Nareed
As with everything, they exist in all kinds. A single engine Cessna big enough for two people is a private plane and worse even than coach.

Recently I've heard of "empty legs." Many "private" planes actually belong to companies who lease them or rent them for trips, kind of like a high-end charter. Often a plane will be in city X and is needed at City Y but lacks any passengers. When this happens, these companies offer passage on their plane rather cheap (in comparison). They usually sell a flight (from what I understand) rather than seats.

So, say a small jet for 4 people might be offered for $1,500, as an example, going from, also as an example, LA to San Francisco. If you can get three people to join you, that's $375 per head. Not bad if the jet is nicely appointed, though I'd doubt they'd include drinks, meals or even snacks.

Back to "private" jets, keep in mind Boeing ahs a whole division called Boeing Business Jet. Some people who have the means, and governments as well, one suspects, commonly use a B-737 for their private flying. The interior can be as luxurious as your means allow.

That's for starters. You can get any commercial Boeing type for a business/private jet, up to a brand new B-747 8I

As I said, they exist in all kinds.

All of our planes are Cessna Citations. We used to have a Gulfstream 3 for longer trips but we no longer have it.
October 2nd, 2015 at 4:59:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
All of our planes are Cessna Citations.

Which model? A Cessna Citation Mustang has an empty weight of 5,560 lbs. A 2016 Chrysler Town & Country minivan has a curb weight of 4,652 lbs.

Citation Mustang has a Maximum speed of 483 mph and a cruise speed of 390 mph and a range of (at max. takeoff weight) 1,343 mi ($3.28 million USD).

Fortunately, most of my business travel now is in private planes. Most of the planes are small 8 to 10 seats and they are not very luxurious. I compare them to a minivan with wings. The biggest perk for me of flying private is avoiding the airport terminals and TSA.

Cessna S550 Citation II | Capacity: 8 passengers and empty weight: 8,059 lb. Cruise speed 464 mph; Range = 2,300 mi
October 2nd, 2015 at 7:41:50 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Pacomartin
Which model?

A I/SP, a V 560, and a V Encore.
October 5th, 2015 at 10:39:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Someone asked me about the Residence one of the Gulf airlines is offering for about $40,000 one-way.

Talking about it, it occurred to me perhaps the target customer are people who own their own private jets, but may not want to fly them to certain destinations, or not on long-haul flights, or which are down for maintenance. The costs might be roughly in the same ballpark.
October 5th, 2015 at 4:04:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Talking about it, it occurred to me perhaps the target customer are people who own their own private jets, but may not want to fly them to certain destinations, or not on long-haul flights, or which are down for maintenance. The costs might be roughly in the same ballpark.

I think more accurately the target customer is someone who often leases a private jet. I heard that the price was £12,500 ONE WAY from Abu Dhabi
to London (about $20K) (3,433 miles) and it was immediately booked. Perhaps the $40K one way price is Abu Dhabi to Singapore (which is over twice the distance at 7,490 miles).

The Residence boasts a double bedroom, living room and an en-suite shower room. The price covers a one-way trip for two people, a chauffeur, private check-in and lounge access.

A I/SP, a V 560, and a V Encore.

See, I don't think these three Citations can fly 3433 miles, even with just two passengers. I don't know what they are rated for with a reduced payload. In any event they would probably cost more $20K each way to lease.

I think you would need a Citation Sovereign+ or a Citation X+. It is possible a Citation Latitude would work with the reduced payload of only two passengers.

While the 7,490 mile one way trip costs $40K each way for two people, it would cost much more than that to lease a jet that can go that distance.
October 5th, 2015 at 4:11:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I think more accurately the target customer is someone who often leases a private jet.

That makes even more sense. It might be cheaper than leasing a jet for only two passengers. I mean, the cost is usually per flight (figured on an hourly basis), so flying 6 people costs less per head than flying 2.

Quote:
Perhaps the $40K one way price is Abu Dhabi to Singapore (which is over twice the distance at 7,490 miles).

Honestly I can't recall where I got the $40 K price from.

Quote:
The Residence boasts a double bedroom, living room and an en-suite shower room. The price covers a one-way trip for two people, a chauffeur, private check-in and lounge access.

Nice, if you can afford it... Is there one Residence per plane, or more?
October 5th, 2015 at 4:21:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Nice, if you can afford it... Is there one Residence per plane, or more?

Emirates puts 76 business class seats and 14 first class seats on the top level of the A380. They have showers for the first class seats.
Etihad Airways puts 70 business class seats and 9 first class seats PLUS "The residence" (for one or two people) on the top level of their A380. The Residence has a private shower, and I presume they have a shower for the other 9 first class seats.

So right now there is only one residence per plane. But Etihad ordered 10 of these planes and only 4 were delivered. I presume they have two on the London route and two on the Singapore route. They may change the layout and add more residences if they are popular enough.

The Residence makes joining the mile high club not even a challenge.
Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »