Hey FrGamble!

June 28th, 2020 at 1:13:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
"Why are we here?" is another big question that we should all answer.

Evil is not a human construct. Murder, which I am pretty sure animals do not commit is evil. Basically anything that goes against reason is bad and reason also is not something we constructed. Now for sure there are many ways that people reason, one glance at Evenbob and I will show you that. This difference in reasoning is what leads to some people thinking abortion is evil and some who think of it as just another medical procedure. However, reason will clearly say one of those ideas is true and they both cannot be.
If evil isn't a human construct, then it is evil when the Vatican shuffles pedo priests around and protects them, time after time. Either the church is evil, or raping children isn't, both cannot be true. Or, evil is a human construct.

Quote:
You could look at it as first principles. Those determine just about everything in your life. It begins with your conception of God? This is a big answer we all must answer. It determines if life is just accidental or with purpose, is there meaning to be found, is there a goal or order that guides us, etc. Then we can ask who are human beings and who am I? Do we have rights that are ours not from government or society? Is there a dignity to every human person that deserves to be respected and honored? Or am I and everyone else just an animal?
Yes, we are another species of animal that took advantage of our special survival skill of higher intelligence. Dogs can smell thousands of times better than humans, birds fly, we inveigle .

Quote:
Etc. These first principles also shape our morality.
Morals are derived from property rights [ possession being 9/10 of the law] by threat of violence.

It is easy to understand that there is power in numbers, back in year one if you weren't in a clan, how safe were you? How were you going to not get robbed or killed if you didn't belong to a powerful group? Xtianity grew, at the tip of a spear.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 28th, 2020 at 1:20:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

It is easy to understand that there is power in numbers, back in year one if you weren't in a clan, how safe were you? How were you going to not get robbed or killed if you didn't belong to a powerful group?.

I've said that in the Dark Ages in
rural England they would eat
strangers for dinner if they weren't
recognized. Nothing evil about
it to them. Plenty evil to the dinner
guest, though.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2020 at 2:00:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
I've said that in the Dark Ages in
rural England they would eat
strangers for dinner if they weren't
recognized. Nothing evil about
it to them. Plenty evil to the dinner
guest, though.
Long pig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cannibalism
June 28th, 2020 at 3:12:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph

The article says it was practiced in GB
in the Iron Age, ended about 700-800 AD.
There is still no law against cannibalism
in GB.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2020 at 4:45:19 PM permalink
petroglyph
The article says it was practiced in GB
in the Iron Age, ended about 700-800 AD.
There is still no law against cannibalism
in GB.

I read that there could be some relation between cannibalism and prion disease. They thought my sister may have had mad cow disease for awhile, and also my wife's family has some weird disease related to Amyloidosis which I believe is a prion disease. I read where it was suspected that having had ancestors that had cannibalized, increased a persons chances of getting Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease [mad cow].

From link: "Such cases generally involve necro-cannibalism (eating the corpse of someone who is already dead) as opposed to homicidal cannibalism (killing someone for food). In English law, the latter is always considered a crime, even in the most trying circumstances."
June 28th, 2020 at 4:47:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
The only way you could say such evil things like abuse of children are not evil is if you hold the ridiculous and dangerous idea that evil is just a human construct. It ia not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 28th, 2020 at 5:01:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: FrGamble
The only way you could say such evil things like abuse of children are not evil is if you hold the ridiculous and dangerous idea that evil is just a human construct. It ia not.
It sounds like we agree then that the church needs to be put out of business.
June 28th, 2020 at 5:34:29 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think we agree that evil is evil no matter who does it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 28th, 2020 at 8:27:21 PM permalink
Evenbob

Which writer in the NT saw Jesus
after he rose, or even saw his
death on the cross. Every Google
entry I saw say there is no such
writer. And please point out where
in the entire Bible original sin is
mentioned. Not alluded to in some
backhanded way, but actually discussed.
It was such a big deal Jesus died for it,
yet he never mentioned it once. And
you don't find that just a little odd?

You still have not answered which
writer of the NT actually saw
Jesus die or saw him after he
rose in the myth. Or how Jesus
died for a concept that was
unknown in his time. It's
blatantly obvious they took the
kernel of an urban legend and
embellished it over a long
period of time to a full blown
myth and then started believing
the myth was written history.
June 29th, 2020 at 4:27:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Most of the disciples except for John didn't see Jesus die, they ran away if you remember. There were lots of witnesses. Are you doubting that Jesus died on the cross? They all obviously experienced the Resurrection as well.
I just want to be clear you think that the largest religion on earth began by some made up story about Jesus? Do you think these first Christians were evil and just wanted to spread a lie for the heck of it? They left their livelihoods and died gruesome deaths for something you think is just made up? What evidence do you have to support that outrageous idea? You also think that billions of people throughout thousands of years are just lying about their relationship with Jesus or are crazy. Is that really what you think? I'm sorry but you are wrong.
Whatever you want to believe about Jesus you have to realize that the dispcles had some type of extraordinary experience of His Resurrection. You also cannot really think that myself and others in your life are just lying to you about a real loving relationship we have with Christ.

Once again the concept of Original Sin and sin itself is as old as time and as common as the air around us.