Hey FrGamble!

March 20th, 2016 at 6:43:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Two good things that came out of the Church.
They invented distilled spirits in the 11th
century. And Gregorian chants. I've listened
to them for over 20 years.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 7:58:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
It's actually easier and more gratifying
having conversations with you when
you have me blocked. I don't have to
hear how wrong I am after every single
post and how superior you are. I also
know every single answer you can
give to anything I say, so you typing
it would just be redundant. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2017 at 9:44:26 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Evenbob, I had to read this post to reply to it. I too have found the forum easier, kinder, and more gratifying without having to read your posts. I would like to unblock you and have come up with a simple way to do so. Simply answer appropriately and honestly the two questions below in this thread:

1) Roughly how many people were killed in the Inquisitions run by the Catholic Church and how many during the over 200 years of the Crusades?

2) Are you sorry for offending so grievously and falsely the person FrG loves most in all the world, Jesus Christ?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 5th, 2017 at 2:29:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I too have found the forum easier, kinder, and more gratifying without having to read your posts.

There you go, then.

I would like to unblock you

Why, it contradicts what you just said.
October 5th, 2017 at 3:14:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Why, it contradicts what you just said.

Because I believe in dialogue and discussion as a means to learning and to having my views challenged and changed. The problem is when one side of the discussion is not interested in true discussion and is unwilling to learn or open to change. Until you demonstrate a sense the you actually are interested in learning about things you don't know and until you demonstrate some sense of empathy there is no reason to unblock you and that saddens me.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 5th, 2017 at 3:27:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Until you demonstrate a sense the you actually are interested in learning about things

We've been having almost daily discussions
here since Nov of 2013. We've exchanged a
couple thousand PM's. You just now decided,
after 4 years, that I don't meet your standards
of 'learning' and it has to change for you to
continue?

Does this mean I get a refund on my tuition
and won't graduate? Nobody told me you
were in charge of the conversation. You
would make a very poor member of a debate
team, you just want to take your toys and
go home when people don't agree with your
opinions.
October 5th, 2017 at 4:09:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
I guess I can continue to be berated and insulted by you on this thread, at least it is no where else. I've thought many times that you weren't really interested in learning, but I guess I just kept waiting and hoping. You might remember that you recently without shame continued to propose bald faced lies as historical truth and when called out on it doubled down and compared Christ to Hitler. If you don't admit your mistake and apologize I have nothing further to say. I refuse to think all that time I had interacting with you was a waste and I hope you don't either. I am not in charge of your education, you are! You should do a much better job. Thanks for the discussion and I wish you the best in your life. Know that I will be praying for you.
October 5th, 2017 at 4:12:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
I am not in charge of your education, you are! You should do a much better job.

LOL! The Vatican puppet right to the
end, you're a piece of work..
October 7th, 2017 at 1:21:32 AM permalink
Evenbob

1) Roughly how many people were killed in the Inquisitions run by the Catholic Church and how many during the over 200 years of the Crusades?

Lets just talk about one Crusade, to set an example.
An estimated 1 million were slaughtered in the
Albigensian Crusade alone. (1208-49) Is that
enough slaughtered in Jesus name? Hardly, it
was just the beginning.

Mark Gregory Pegg writes that "The Albigensian Crusade ushered genocide into the West by linking divine salvation to mass murder, by making slaughter as loving an act as His sacrifice on the cross."

Albigensian Crusade (1208-49) 1,000,000

The traditional death toll given for the war against the Cathars is one million, which is repeated in these:

John M. Robertson, A Short History of Christianity, London: Watts, 1902, p.254 ("It has been reckoned that a million of all ages and both sexes were slain.")
Christopher Brookmyre, Not the End of the World (New York: Grove Press, 1998) p.39
Max Dimont, Jews, God, and History, (New York: Penguin, 1994) p.225: 1,000,000 Frenchmen suspected of being Albigensians slain
Dizerega Gus, Pagans & Christians: The Personal Spiritual Experience (St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn, 2001) p.195
Helen Ellerbe, The Dark Side of Christian History (Orlando, FL: Morningstar & Lark, 1995) p.74
Michael Newton, Holy Homicide (Port Townsend, WA: Loompanics Unlimited, 1998) p.117

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albigensian_Crusade

Crusades (1095-1291) 3,000,000 Deaths

NOTE: No scholar has ever published a death toll of less than one million or more than nine million, so the order of magnitude is generally accepted even if the precise number is unknown.

Estimated totals:
Robertson, John M., A Short History of Christianity (1902) p.278: 9,000,000
Aletheia, The Rationalist's Manual: 5,000,000
Henry William Elson, Modern Times and the Living Past, (1921) p. 261: 5,000,000
Om Prakesh Jaggi, Religion, Practice and Science of Non-violence, (1974) p. 40: "The crusades cost Europe five million young men"
Fielding Hudson Garrison, Notes on the History of Military Medicine, Association of Military Surgeons, (1922) p. 106: 3,000,000 total, incl. 2,000,000 Europeans
MEDIAN: 3 million
Philip Alexander Prince, Parallel universal history, an outline of the history and biography of the world divided into ... (1838) p.207: "Although two million souls perished in the Crusades..."
Charles Mackay, Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841): 2,000,000 Europeans killed.
Wertham: 1,000,000
John Shertzer Hittell, A Brief History of Culture (1874) p.137: "In the two centuries of this warfare one million persons had been slain..."
October 7th, 2017 at 8:39:07 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think you missed what he said. He moved the goalposts by saying "inquisitions run by the Catholic Church" rather than just "the inquisitions"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan