Hey FrGamble!

February 28th, 2018 at 7:04:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: FrGamble
As someone who also gets too much of this crap I agree with you. I think many of these groups are either not affiliated with the Catholic Church or only vaguely connected because they have some priest of Msgr. as the head of them. My constant advice to people is two fold. Pray about something that truly moves you and stay only focused on that issue. This issue might be Africa or children in 3rd world countries or Pro-Life and it might change every so often. Anything not directly connected to this passion should be thrown away right away. The second bit of advice is to do research about the group or ask your parish Church for help in vetting such groups. I have helped many shut ins sift through the barrage of junk mail. The things I look for are honesty, a real connection to the Church, and financial responsibility and accountability. There are many excellent groups out there worth supporting but the other groups water down the ability of them to truly help others.

The thing that sends me off in the red are the snail mail versions of chain letters. If I ever see anything that promises some type of special blessing or promising some type of spiritual blessing or financial success if you generously give I tell people under pain of sin to not give to them. The good news is everyone of this particular manipulative and deceptive groups come from other groups than Catholics. It still infuriates me and in my opinion does great harm to Christianity.

I lost track of this thread and am.just now seeing this response. Excellent advice, FrG. Thank you.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 28th, 2018 at 9:08:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I think I do remember reading it. If I remember right it was from some wacked out web-site

No, it was the polar opposite of that. It
was a well researched scholarly piece
that took 45 min to read and had a
ton of footnotes of where they got
their info from. It was excruciatingly
detailed, had names and dates and
was very boring in places. It was
very informative and matter of fact
about how the Church went about
enriching itself for 1500 years.

Much of the Church's early wealth
came legally or illegally from them
inheriting the property of the former
Roman Empire, which had gotten most
of it's holding from theft and confiscation.
In the Church's defense, they were no
better or worse than any secular entity
in those periods. They got wealthy by
using coercion and force, there was
no other way. It was called the Dark
Ages for a reason.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2018 at 4:05:00 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
No, it was on a really sketchy website if I remember that all kinds of very troubling stuff on it. I also remember the article itself having basic things wrong pretty early on. But it did look really well written and had lots of footnotes.
Also when you use the phrase early Church you have to remember what that means. The early Church was the Apostles and Jesus' disciples. They had nothing, begged for food, were poor, some uneducated. What they did have was an experience of the Risen Lord Jesus, an unshakeable faith and a passion to share the Gospel. They were all except John, who was exiled on an island, martyred for the faith. Yet the faith under great persecution from Rome and their own people continued to grow. What you seem to be talking about is not the early Church.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 4th, 2018 at 5:11:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
You replied to my posts in the other
thread and completely ignored this
one. Why is that.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/2637/7/#post101070
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2018 at 5:19:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
I did address it in my response to the Wizard's post. I don't think you have honed any argument for atheism because you continue to just ignore things you don't like or can't answer. You truly are not searching for truth and that is what makes me so disappointed. I guess I should have figured as much since you have said you are selfish. If the only reason you are engaging in this discussion is for some selfish reasons and not an honest discussion and pursuit of truth that would make me think less of you than if you all of the sudden realized the error of you ways. In fact if you showed any sign of truly learning and understanding a different point of view than yours I would be overjoyed.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 4th, 2018 at 5:37:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
I don't think you have honed any argument for atheism

Why would you, I did it for myself,
not you. Every post you make is
for your own edification whether
you realize it or not.

You truly are not searching for truth

But neither are you, it's already been
found in your life as far as you're
concerned. Me too, why would I search
for a god who doesn't exist, talk about
tilting at windmills.

If the only reason you are engaging in this discussion is for some selfish reasons

We do EVERYTHING for personally selfish
reasons, even you. Especially you. Religious
people are the most selfish of all.

and not an honest discussion and pursuit of truth

Already found truth, just sharpening it
and making it clearer. As you are, about
what you perceive to be true. You've
admitted at times that you've gotten
a lot out of our discussions, are you
now saying it was a waste of time?

if you showed any sign of truly learning and understanding a different point of view than yours I would be overjoyed.

Wow. Look at that sentence see if you
spot any selfishness in it. It's dripping
with it.
April 4th, 2018 at 5:55:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Don't search for God, search seriously for truth and you will find both.

You keep using the words selfish for our motivation and I think you would be closer to truth if you said we all do what we think is good - whether it is good for us or for others.

I have gotten a lot out of our conversations. However, I don't think you have. I'm lamenting that it all seems like a waste of time for you.

That sentence is dripping with a desire for your good. I would indeed be very happy, but only happy because you demonstrated an openness of thought and the possibility to change your ideas.
April 4th, 2018 at 6:39:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
I have gotten a lot out of our conversations. However, I don't think you have.

I posted this:

I have learned a ton about Xtionity in the
last few years by being forced to look
things up... These are edge honing conversations,
not mind changing ones. The point is to clarify the feelings you
already have, not to change them.

Why do you think I posted that
if I got nothing from our discussions.
I don't stay in conversations I
get nothing out of, who does.
April 7th, 2018 at 10:05:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
I go thru all the trouble to post
this 2 days ago and you have
time to post in other threads
but not answer this?

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/2637/11/#post101123

Does this mean you have no response?
I understand. You had to run out of
arguments eventually, you have an
empty well.
April 7th, 2018 at 11:38:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
Unlike you I don't stop discussing something or block someone when I have been proven wrong. I just forgot about your post, sorry about that.