Hey FrGamble!

June 2nd, 2018 at 7:56:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Is the novel "White Fang" hidden to you?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 2nd, 2018 at 8:10:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Is the novel "White Fang" hidden to you?

Haven't read that stuff since I was a kid.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2018 at 8:30:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
You should read it again and we can talk about something else for a change.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 2nd, 2018 at 9:09:28 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Face
I wouldn't use the word "scary", but I am equally confused that you cannot see outside of the church box.

As an atheist, I wouldn't say my morality comes from "me". Rather, I would use the word "us". I've longed believed in a sort of Naturalism, and I do believe that morality is a natural event. It's tough and arguable when looking just at humans, because humans have created a belief in God and it's hard to separate one from the other. But looking to the animal kingdom at large, I think it's easy and obvious to subscribe to this natural path.

Look to our closest relatives. Monkeys have no God. Even if you believe He created them, there is not one lick of Scripture involving the monkey. It is an animal for us to respect and use, no different than a mule. Yet don't they have morality? Does not a monkey do nice things for those in its family? Protection, the providing of food, grooming, consoling, nursing, petting, hugging, and all sorts of other "nice" things. They care for each other, celebrate with each other, play with each other. Do you not see this as a morality structure? I do. And I can go down the list of upper mammals and find the same. I see the same in them as I do in us. Whether a pack of dogs or a pod of dolphins or a herd of elephants, all social mammals act in similar fashion.

I see us mirrored in them all the time. If a monkey steals a fruit from its own pack, a fight ensues. This weakens that family. Trust is broken, hard feelings develop, injuries occur. The actions of one being weakens the entire unit. Isn't that exactly like us? If one monkey just doesn't tow the line, it is forced out of its society and left to fend for itself. Sound familiar? And while most monkeys are chill and spend their time grooming and playing and sharing food, if another family of monkeys gets too close and starts threatening the other family's resources, there's a hell of a fight. All the able bodied monkeys form a battalion and systematically attack the interlopers until they flee or until they are dead. Again, sound familiar?

Sure, some of my morality comes from "God". I have people in my family who follow Him, and as they have His lessons, so have they given them to me. But in that same fashion, so too has some of my morality come from Aesop's Fables. Some from The Cosby Show. Some from Little League Football. Some from Steven King's The Dark Tower. And some from simple personal experience. I have learned that doing good for others, for "the group", is more beneficial to me personally than things I have done purely for the benefit of me. Being nice, being "moral", is the best play. And so this atheist has morals.

That's not sick. It's purely natural. And a bit beautiful.

Good book (not "The Good Book"):

https://www.amazon.com/Rights-Wrongs-Origins-Experience-Injustice/dp/B0009K76B2
June 3rd, 2018 at 12:00:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
You should read it again and we can talk about something else for a change.

It's a kids book about wolves, I read
it in 7th grade. Why would I want
to reread a kids book.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2018 at 5:55:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Remember this thread from 7 years
ago? Some of our best work is here,
I'm learning from reading my own
posts. It's like both of us were better
at this in 2011.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/religion/7360-there-is-no-god/7/#post109039
June 14th, 2018 at 9:02:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
I have 2 of the 3 things. I admire FrG
for trying to quit tobacco. It's something
that will pay huge dividends. I'm old
enough that I lost count of the people
I know that died from tobacco abuse.
Some as early as mid 40's. Most were
in their mid 50's, that's a very dangerous
age for men.

Number 2 is I admire his ability to make
it thru seminary. I could never do that.
Not just because it's religious. I would
have to make too many concessions
along the way no matter what the subject
matter was, and I don't do that well.
I'm very good at questioning orders
and very bad at following them if I
disagree with them at all.
June 15th, 2018 at 3:39:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
#3. I admire the patience it takes to
be a priest. I have a friend who's an
ex priest and he says a priest has
to suffer a lot of fools, and a lot of
dealing with people he would never
deal with if he didn't have to.

They have to patiently answer stupid
questions, give people advice when
they ask for it, even when the answer
is obvious to anybody with half a brain.

I couldn't do that, I have little patience
for idiots, and people trying to waste
my time. Priests have to learn to deal
with it, I could not.
June 15th, 2018 at 3:57:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I can tell it wasn't easy for you two come up with that list. The compliments were somewhat backhanded, but I'm sure you did your best.

Go forth and sin no more.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 15th, 2018 at 5:18:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Thanks, Bob.