Poll
1 vote (7.14%)
8 votes (57.14%)
5 votes (35.71%)

14 members have voted

September 11th, 2018 at 2:08:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Playboy has announced in 2019 they are cutting from bimonthly to quarterly. I didn’t even know they went to bimonthly.

How far off is the end?
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2018 at 2:16:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
How far off is the end?

Wikipedia does not even list it in the top 100 in the USA. The magazine peaked at 5.6 million in 1975.

They list Playboy at 321,000 a month and they are seriously considering killing the print magazine.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-playboy-magazine-20180102-story.html
September 11th, 2018 at 6:29:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I didn't know they went back to nude pictures. That, I think, was a good decision, correcting an awful one.

However, I'm pessimistic Playboy can be saved either way. It was a great idea for it's time, but it has become a buggy whip.

Meanwhile, I have a nice collection of Playboys from 1954 to 1965. Anyone interested in buying them?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 11th, 2018 at 11:51:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
I didn't know they went back to nude pictures. That, I think, was a good decision, correcting an awful one.

However, I'm pessimistic Playboy can be saved either way. It was a great idea for it's time, but it has become a buggy whip.

Meanwhile, I have a nice collection of Playboys from 1954 to 1965. Anyone interested in buying them?

Is there any new blood entering the print magazine collecting market? Seems like stamps or tin toys. The shift to the interweb is going to get them all.
September 12th, 2018 at 2:08:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Precisely. Its not so much that the centerfold is dying or morphing or anything but that the hard copy itself is dying as everything goes 'online edition only' and no one prints a hard copy and ships it somewhere. I guess parakeet owners will have to look elsewhere for their daily birdcage liners. No word yet from Fish 'n Chips shops as to possible alternatives.
September 12th, 2018 at 2:47:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is there any new blood entering the print magazine collecting market? Seems like stamps or tin toys. The shift to the interweb is going to get them all.

Rick Harrison mentioned that old "Playboy" mags do not bring much because so many guys kept them. I have pitched the few I had around, along with much other "collectable" stuff I hoped would have value. I now try not to collect anything except unusual money.
The President is a fink.
September 12th, 2018 at 6:21:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I had a Playboy collection that was nearly complete from 1954 to 1995. I could see others trying to sell their collections on Craigslist cheap, but nobody was buying. You saw the same ads over and over. So, I just offered for free everything after 1965, except some valuable ones like the Madonna issue.

I'm worried license plates aren't getting new blood at the same rate old collectors are dying off, which many are.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 12th, 2018 at 11:33:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I'm worried license plates aren't getting new blood at the same rate old collectors are dying off, which many are.

That is a problem with all kinds of collectables. Common thread seems to be baby boomers wanting to relive their youth and drove up prices, which froze Gen X out in a big way. Millennials came of age well past when you would remember seeing all kinds of cool plates on the road, which changed more often. They missed the better collectible years of many other things. They just are not into it.

My mother has a coffee cup for every state she has been in, which is most of them. I have a goal of driving a convertible to 49 states, and HI after the bridge is finished. She asked what I was going to collect from each one. I said "nothing." My collections are few and sporadic. Eventually I just wanted a more minimalist life. I got some 1999 Coca-Cola NASCAR bottles in perfect shape with some other KO bottles. Can't sell them online, shipping too high. Even local I might get a few bucks at most. I really want to put it into the hands of someone who cares more.
The President is a fink.
September 12th, 2018 at 11:38:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Interest in automobilia is dying. Since all
cars look alike now, there hasn't been
a new generation of interest in 20 years.

I'm watching a new show on Hulu set in
1960. Lots of vintage 50's cars, but
they're all showroom new restored cars.
I was there in 1960, 70% of cars were
50's rust buckets. But all that's available
now are the restored ones. Pretty funny.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 12th, 2018 at 11:52:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Interest in automobilia is dying. Since all
cars look alike now, there hasn't been
a new generation of interest in 20 years.

The younger set is into tuning riceburners. My dad said over the years they started hitting the cruises, both sides staying to themselves and bothering each other as little as possible.

I remember hearing studios used to keep fields of cars in storage to use. Now they rent them.
The President is a fink.