1 vote (7.14%)
8 votes (57.14%)
5 votes (35.71%)

14 members have voted

September 15th, 2018 at 6:32:49 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Wizard
I'd be interested to know how much of a fight you had to make over it. Was with this the dealership on Sahara? I think the last time our car had some exhaust issue they also had to bring in an expert from elsewhere because nobody at the Sahara dealership knew what to do. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and they gave us a loaner car for about a week.

I was going to the Henderson BMW, but I think both are owned by the same company. I had my car in the shop on eight different occasions in three months. It was so frustrating because each time they gave it back they said it was fixed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 15th, 2018 at 10:19:48 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your's and Wizard's experiences, as my 2 BMWs have been the total opposite of lemons. So tight, and well-designed compared to American cars. I took my Z3M to that dealer at Rainbow and Sahara and they fixed a few little things with no problems.
September 16th, 2018 at 4:39:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I'd be interested to know how much of a fight you had to make over it. Was with this the dealership on Sahara? I think the last time our car had some exhaust issue they also had to bring in an expert from elsewhere because nobody at the Sahara dealership knew what to do. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and they gave us a loaner car for about a week.

This is not all that uncommon, even less uncommon for fancier cars like BMW and Audi. While today's mechanics are very well trained, the cars are so complicated that you need factory help when something out of the box happens. The factory wants to see a problem car like this direct as it means that there are hundreds to thousands of others that might end up with the same problem. If they find the fix, they nip things in the bud.

GM did not do this in the 1980s when they should have. When they switched to FWD, all kinds of problems surfaced. Had they taken the first few serious, it would have been expensive, but they would have not had as many POed owners.

One of the Germans, IIRC Audi, has a neat system with all kinds of cameras and video conference. They even have a borescope to look right into the cylinders. The tech video conferences with the factory rep for problems unsolvable locally.
The President is a fink.
August 3rd, 2019 at 5:54:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
TRIGGER WARNING---IF YOU ARE MALE AND OF AGE 45-60 (most everyone here) YOU WILL FIND THIS HIGHLY DISTURBING!

Can the Millennials Save Playboy?

This could be a parody movie. I thought I was reading "The Onion." "Playboy" trying to get a 50% female audience? Trying to appeal to gays? Won't even call the September Playmate "Miss September."

Quote: article
In the office, members of the staff use terms like “intersectionality,” “sex positivity,” “privileging” and “lived experience” to describe their editorial vision — and tout their feminist credentials. Two editors are former employees of Ms., the magazine co-founded by Gloria Steinem.

The article says they are more interested in the brand than the magazine. I said upthread that "Playboy" had 5 or so years left when they got rid of the nude models. In a way, it is now dead and just the name remains.
The President is a fink.
August 3rd, 2019 at 9:48:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
"Playboy" trying to get a 50% female audience?

According to what I heard from females I knew, it always had a small female audience. Perhaps they didn't actually buy the magazine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 3rd, 2019 at 10:00:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
. In a way, it is now dead and just the name remains.

It died for me when I became an
adult. Early 70's? Haven't looked
at it since.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2019 at 10:19:37 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
It died for me when I became an
adult. Early 70's? Haven't looked
at it since.

By this do you mean when you discovered the internet?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2019 at 10:37:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
By this do you mean when you discovered the internet?

Yeah, I discovered the internet in the
early 70's, 1971 it was.

Good grief.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2019 at 11:25:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
According to what I heard from females I knew, it always had a small female audience. Perhaps they didn't actually buy the magazine.

I can believe it did. Some women want to see how they stack up. But 50%? That’s just making it a mainstream mag.
The President is a fink.
August 3rd, 2019 at 1:26:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Just from a marketing standpoint, taking a well-established brand and changing it fairly radically, is usually bad idea. I suppose one can argue the magazine was done-in already, but still in principle, it's a bad idea. The brand is recognizable and took decades to build, and so forth. It's gives its own value even without a product as long as it's recognized widely.

people that sell illegal knock-offs can probably still market Playboy branded items, probably as far as in China still. It still makes money.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?