1 vote (7.14%)
8 votes (57.14%)
5 votes (35.71%)

14 members have voted

October 13th, 2015 at 6:41:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The second is actually had much fewer printed than the first and much fewer remain. However, there is no substitute for being first. Any issue from 1954 to around 1957 will be worth in the low hundreds in good condition.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 13th, 2015 at 6:46:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I once had an issue where the Playboy had a reversed letter. I think it was a the P. But I have found nothing about it so far.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 13th, 2015 at 7:04:32 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
I have looked into this a fair bit and they are basically worth nothing after 1970 and not very much in the late sixties.
When I was about 10 years old in 1971 I lived in a rural mountainous area near Albuquerque. Our neighbor was in the habit of dumping some of his trash in the woods behind his house. He apparently decided to dispose of his Playboy collection because my friend and I happened upon a huge pile of magazines while out for a hike. They spanned from the late fifties to the current time. They may not have been worth anything, but to a couple of 10 year old boys in 1971 the value was indescribable.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 13th, 2015 at 7:29:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Any issue from 1954 to around 1957 will be worth in the low hundreds in good condition.

Nah. They sell for 25-50 if you can get it. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/August-1955-Playboy-Centerfold-Pat-Lawler-/391284272264?hash=item5b1a5c2c88

The 1954's are the best, but after 54 they drop
way down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1954-Playboy-magazine-April-vol-1-number-5-Marilyn-Waltz-Farhrenheit-/391277998739?hash=item5b19fc7293
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 13th, 2015 at 7:59:47 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
I have looked into this a fair bit and they are basically worth nothing after 1970 and not very much in the late sixties.

And yet those 1970s centerfolds depict the hottest Playmates of all time. Curvy, horny, and all natural.
October 13th, 2015 at 8:44:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: JimRockford
When I was about 10 years old in 1971 I lived in a rural mountainous area near Albuquerque. Our neighbor was in the habit of dumping some of his trash in the woods behind his house. He apparently decided to dispose of his Playboy collection because my friend and I happened upon a huge pile of magazines while out for a hike. They spanned from the late fifties to the current time. They may not have been worth anything, but to a couple of 10 year old boys in 1971 the value was indescribable.

I remember waiting for the bus when I was in about 5th grade. It was a trash day and a neighbor looked like he was cleaning house. I must admit I rummaged through his stuff a bit and found a recent issue, for the time. I recall it was black with models spelling out "Happy New Year" with their bodies. I also recall the centerfold was missing, but it still had the Playboy Playmate Review of the previous 12 centerfolds. I found this in the company of several other boys my age and shall we say my popularity suddenly skyrocketed. In fact, they started chasing me to get it and I dumped it through a crack in my mom's car window. Fortunately, she is pretty liberal about such things and gave it back to me when I got home, wondering how it got there. I'll always remember that fondly as the first Playboy I ever owned. When I got rid of most of my collection, I did keep a copy of that issue, for sentimental reasons. Thank you Hugh.

Quote: reno
And yet those 1970s centerfolds depict the hottest Playmates of all time. Curvy, horny, and all natural.

Another agreement! I wouldn't begrudge the early 80s either. That era epitomized the "girl next door," which is what Playbody was supposed to be. While the models today are certainly very sexy, it is hard to fantasize about a girl you think wouldn't give you the time of day in real life.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 13th, 2015 at 9:37:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Playboy was a young mans best friend. We always
had to hide them, that was half the fun. Then in
the mid 60's my dad started getting XXX junk
mail from Calif and from then on I got to the
mailbox first and pilfered most of it. Playboy
went way down on my list after I started seeing
the real thing.

FrG thinks people are obsessed with sex now. He's
wrong, they're used to it now because it's available
everywhere. It's 50 years ago when you couldn't get
it that we were obsessed with it. When you had
to fight and expend effort just to see it. I can go
this minute and in 15 sec be looking at anything
I want. But I don't because I don't care, it's no
fun if it's that available.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 13th, 2015 at 9:50:01 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I found a shopping bag full of Playboys in a dumpster when I was in HS around 1979. Maybe 12 issues, featuring Debra Jo Fondren, Patti McGuire (Mrs. Jimmy Conners) and other famous ladies of the era. I was locked in to the brand! I've been a continuous subscriber since around 1980. I read the articles too by the way. Very progressive. But Playboy has gone downhill tremendously lately though. The design has seemed to target the younguns in the last ten years, ladies no longer have pubic hair, and when they went from 12 issues to only 10 in 2010 or so, I saw the end was coming. Bankruptcy was imminent back then. I've been debating ceasing my subscription, and this is probably it. I've complained twice to their "letters to the editor", the latest being earlier this year when they featured a delightful centerfold, but all nine of the photos were from the exact same camera angle (I mean c'mon! all photos were from the front, from the waist up, there were even FOUR ON THE SAME PAGE FOR GOD'S SAKE exact same angle like their design team was asleep or something, so I wrote in wondering WTF). Both times, they edited my comments to make them less angry.

Playboy's time is in the past. When Hef dies, daughter Christina should let it go, if she's still in charge.
October 13th, 2015 at 10:54:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Penthouse in September 1969 was launched in the U.S., bringing new competition to Playboy.Due to more liberal European attitudes to nudity Penthouse was already displaying pubic hair at the time of its U.S. launch.
Playboy started showing wisps of pubic hair about nine months after Penthouse (June 1970).
Hustler was launched in 1974, it outdid both Playboy and Penthouse in explicitness.
October 14th, 2015 at 12:42:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin

Hustler was launched in 1974, it outdid both Playboy and Penthouse in explicitness.

Hustler was in the airbrushed pink business,
it was ridiculous. If you ever see a real girl
that pink, call 911, she has a problem.
Page 3 of 23<123456>Last »