Mystery Chargers

Page 2 of 2<12
October 23rd, 2015 at 3:17:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
As long as you are not crossing USA/EU phones and plugs I do not think it will hurt. The cord just connects things, the AC power is the same 110.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2015 at 7:51:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
As long as you are not crossing USA/EU phones and plugs I do not think it will hurt. The cord just connects things, the AC power is the same 110.

Hmm. The charger will have a AC to DC convertor in it, and then step down the voltage to 12V or 5V depending, and set the current too.

It turns the 110V 50Hz AC into something DC. That something for most USB chargers will be the same, but on older chargers (single pin stuff) that might be all sorts of different currents and voltages. Stick 12V, 1A into something expecting 5v and 250mA and can cause damage. Not saying I did this in the past.... but it might have happened near something I was working with that got kinda hot.

The AC to DC conversion doesn't happen in the phone.

I suspect it's all fine and dandy, chargers have changed to be relatively standard and use standard, micro USB style connectors. Apple is special, of course.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 2 of 2<12