Yet another aviation thread.

Page 109 of 110« First<106107108109110>
March 26th, 2022 at 1:20:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I renewed my passport (I kind of got lazy during COVID and did not worry about it, so its technically been expired for some time). I am not a huge fan of the process (this is my first renewal). It took 22 days including shipping (I did expedited, and paid for one day shipping on both ends).

You have to mail in your current passport book (which if something happens during this period and you need to travel, you are kind of out of luck, yes I know there are ways that you can go to the State Department in person if you have an extreme circumstance, but if you don't live near one, this is not realistic).

But, you also have to go to a photography place, get a passport photo, staple it to your application (on a place that is not convenient to staple precisely on each corner), it seems very archaic. Now, renewing is not nearly as bad as obtaining one for the first time (which requires a lot more documents to be mailed in). (I remember my birth certificate was wrong, or it was technically just a birth abstract, or it was short form or something, so I had to go through a whole thing to get my full birth certificate from the State I was born in, which was far from where I lived at the time, which was a process in itself).

I still have not received my passport card (which to be fair does not really matter, since I don't know if I ever used it, or even carried it much as if I ever needed a passport I usually just had the book with me, I guess it never hurts to have a backup ID), but it also seems silly that for some reason one day shipping cannot apply to this, and it has to be mailed separately via regular mail (can't they just dump it in the envelope, clearly its generated the same place as they use the same physical photo that gets mailed in).

It just seems like a lot can be modernized and streamlined.

And, I am being told by some I actually had it quite good and got very lucky, some people who did expedited recently, had to wait close to two months which seems crazy, and people who did not do expedited had to wait far longer. But, I also took the time to make sure my application was proper, and there were no issues, I don't know how many delays were really issues with application or improper photographs that required additional mailings back and forth (I am not going to ask somebody, "Oh but did you do your application properly").
May 17th, 2022 at 2:57:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
June 4th, 2022 at 10:23:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just booked my summer flights on Breeze Airlines. I am excited as it will be my first flight on an A220.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 4th, 2022 at 4:18:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
I still have not received my passport card (which to be fair does not really matter, since I don't know if I ever used it, or even carried it much as if I ever needed a passport I usually just had the book with me, I guess it never hurts to have a backup ID),

As of May 3, 2023 you will need a REAL ID to get on domestic flights. In some states you automatically get an Enhanced Drivers Licenses. EDLs are state-issued enhanced drivers licenses that provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship. They are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. EDLs are a low-cost, convenient option for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.
EDLs make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the border into the United States because they include:
A Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth.
A Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

EDLs are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

In Pennsylvania you must pay extra and it is difficult to get qualifying birth certificate to get a REAL ID. The birth certificates that you get from the hospital don't count. You can always use your Passport Book, but it is simpler and easier and cheaper to get a PASSPORT CARD.

It is much cheaper if you either have a current passport, or if your current passport expired less than 5 years ago.

My mother is age 88 and she hasn't driven in years. So she will just let her driver's license expire in a couple of years and use her PASSPORT CARD as her main ID and to take domestic flights. You CANNOT fly internationally with a PASSPORT CARD, but you can use it when driving to Canada or Mexico.
June 5th, 2022 at 6:17:39 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Pacomartin

My mother is age 88 and she hasn't driven in years. So she will just let her driver's license expire in a couple of years and use her PASSPORT CARD as her main ID and to take domestic flights. You CANNOT fly internationally with a PASSPORT CARD, but you can use it when driving to Canada or Mexico.

Does your mother still travel much? My parents are 86 and I think their travel days are behind them. They are physically weak and I can't imagine them trying to maneuver an airport at their age.
June 6th, 2022 at 11:36:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
They are physically weak and I can't imagine them trying to maneuver an airport at their age.

No, my parents have not been on an airplane in years. My mother can't step up on a curb, she needs to find a curb cut.
June 7th, 2022 at 5:25:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
As of May 3, 2023 you will need a REAL ID to get on domestic flights. In some states you automatically get an Enhanced Drivers Licenses. EDLs are state-issued enhanced drivers licenses that provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship. They are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. EDLs are a low-cost, convenient option for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.
EDLs make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the border into the United States because they include:
A Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth.
A Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

EDLs are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

In Pennsylvania you must pay extra and it is difficult to get qualifying birth certificate to get a REAL ID. The birth certificates that you get from the hospital don't count. You can always use your Passport Book, but it is simpler and easier and cheaper to get a PASSPORT CARD.

It is much cheaper if you either have a current passport, or if your current passport expired less than 5 years ago.

My DL is already a real ID. Its not an EDL, in fact I do not think that my State offers this even now (I just checked the DMV website). To me this is not a big deal, I would never leave the country without my full passport (not just card), just to be safe, even if I had an EDL. But, I can see how its a nice perk if you live in those states.
June 8th, 2022 at 4:20:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Gandler
I would never leave the country without my full passport (not just card), just to be safe, even if I had an EDL.

I went to Guam with just my Driver's license. When the agent asked me for my passport, I told him that Guam was a US territory. He didn't look amused. But after a while he let me through as he didn't know what else to do.

In theory the Passport Card is valid,not just if you travel to Canada or Mexico by vehicle, but also if you go to any country by ship. But it turns out cruise operators want you to have a regular Passport as well in case of medical emergency when you might have to fly home.
July 22nd, 2022 at 3:26:21 PM permalink
DRich
I am disappointed because I booked a Breeze Airlines flight nonstop from RSW to LAS. I chose it for three reasons. One, I have never flown Breeze, two it is nonstop, and three it is on an A220 which I have never flown. Sadly, they seem to be replacing the A220 with an E195 on this route, and the E195 doesn't carry enough fuel for a nonstop so they are stopping in Oklahoma. I guess at least I still get to try Breeze airlines.
July 23rd, 2022 at 6:45:08 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: DRich
I am disappointed because I booked a Breeze Airlines flight nonstop from RSW to LAS. I chose it for three reasons. One, I have never flown Breeze, two it is nonstop, and three it is on an A220 which I have never flown. Sadly, they seem to be replacing the A220 with an E195 on this route, and the E195 doesn't carry enough fuel for a nonstop so they are stopping in Oklahoma. I guess at least I still get to try Breeze airlines.

They must have heard my bitch. Today's flight is direct on the A220.
Page 109 of 110« First<106107108109110>