Yet another aviation thread.

February 23rd, 2017 at 7:42:08 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Maybe it is because the exit row has no under-seat storage.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 24th, 2017 at 7:27:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Maybe it is because the exit row has no under-seat storage.

It allows for two smaller carry on items/personal items like a laptop bag. There is overhead bin space.

I think they wither charge for regular carry on luggage, or are attempting to reduce it in order to speed up boarding and deplaning.

Let me tell you something else: it sucks to make accurate predictions. Not too long ago I said Viva was already Ryanair, and Volaris wanted to be Ryanair as well. I'm being proved distressingly right.

To finish the comparison, Interjet is kind of like the child of Southwest and Jet Blue.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 24th, 2017 at 11:46:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
It allows for two smaller carry on items/personal items like a laptop bag. There is overhead bin space.

I think they wither charge for regular carry on luggage, or are attempting to reduce it in order to speed up boarding and deplaning.

Let me tell you something else: it sucks to make accurate predictions. Not too long ago I said Viva was already Ryanair, and Volaris wanted to be Ryanair as well. I'm being proved distressingly right.

To finish the comparison, Interjet is kind of like the child of Southwest and Jet Blue.

The last time I flew, I was allowed two carry-on items, aka one carry-on and one personal item. Specifically, a duffel bag and a laptop bag. I was instructed to put the larger one in the overhead bin, and store the smaller one under the seat for takeoff and landing.

The exit rows don't usually have under-seat storage.

They don't want you to put two items in the overhead bins. Therefore, you don't get a small personal item.

That's my theory.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 24th, 2017 at 4:03:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Ryanair is part owner of VivaAerobus. Volaris and Southwest used to be partners. Interjet deliberately modeled itself after Jet Blue but they are probably unable to maintain it's initial high standards and remain profitable. Aeromexico has sold 49% to Delta.
February 24th, 2017 at 5:09:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Interjet deliberately modeled itself after Jet Blue but they are probably unable to maintain it's initial high standards and remain profitable.

It remains the best airline in Mexico, IMO.

But let me debunk the Jet Blue myth. They match Jet Blue in seat pitch and leg room, no question. they even brag about it. And in two complimentary checked bags (though Jet Blue dropped that). But there's never been any entertainment to speak of aboard, while Jet Blue was famous for having live TV at every seat. No clue what Jet Blue serves for meals/snacks.

And they've diverged more since. Jet Blue now has business class and lie flat seats, called Mint, in some routes, while Interjet remains all one-class
February 27th, 2017 at 6:22:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Newer developments: Ancillary fee creep is creeping ever higher.

Swiss will now charge business class passengers for seat assignments.
February 27th, 2017 at 9:27:05 AM permalink
Nareed
I just got the full story.

So Friday a couple of coworkers were heading to Culiacan for a meeting. Around 9 am I checked up on their flight, out of curiosity, and found them still far out of CUL, with a departure delay of over an hour. As their meeting was at 9:30 (8:30 local time), naturally they wouldn't make it. In fact, they were entering a holding pattern as I watched.

So I tracked flights from Interjet and AM as well, and also found them in holding patterns. But whereas these two planes landed, the one with my coworkers was diverted to La Paz. I tracked until they landed, then got no further info.

Turns out they were low on fuel and diverted to refuel. They arrived at CUL near noon, along with scheduled flights for that time.

They're leaving again today...
February 28th, 2017 at 9:44:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Interjet is near breaking...

Yesterday I noticed their cheaper fare changed. It used to not include seat selection, and thus no advanced boarding pass or check-in, and changes in schedule or name cost more, but otherwise included the same luggage and so on.

Now it only includes one 25-kilo (50-lb) checked bag.

Yeah, it's more than you get in other airlines, but how long before they begin charging for bags?
February 28th, 2017 at 10:10:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Interjet is near breaking...

Yesterday I noticed their cheaper fare changed. It used to not include seat selection, and thus no advanced boarding pass or check-in, and changes in schedule or name cost more, but otherwise included the same luggage and so on.

Now it only includes one 25-kilo (50-lb) checked bag.

Yeah, it's more than you get in other airlines, but how long before they begin charging for bags?

Is Southwest the last remaining US airline not to charge for checked bags? If so, I think by the end of 2018 they will be charging for them too.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 28th, 2017 at 10:33:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Is Southwest the last remaining US airline not to charge for checked bags? If so, I think by the end of 2018 they will be charging for them too.

We'll see. perhaps they are satisfied with early boarding fees...

But I wouldn't be surprised if, say, ten years from now, some airlines, at least, are charging fees for bags on business class and premium economy. Two airlines, Swiss and BA, already charge for (some?) seat assignments. Bags cannot be too far behind.