Yet another aviation thread.

August 7th, 2017 at 11:23:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Chicago Midway passed LaGuardia in 1948 and kept the title of "world's busiest airport" for 12 years until 1960. Chicago O'Hare had most passengers from 1960-1998 when Atlanta took the title. Sooner of later Beijing Capital International Airport will probably take title from Atlanta.

Quote: Nareed
I'd no idea airlines actually build terminals...

I think JFK circa 1960 is relatively unique as when the terminals were being constructed it was clear that the airport would be the primary international gateway . Los Angeles as the primary Pacific gateway and Miami as the primary gateway to Latin America now rival JFK for international passengers.

2014 international passengers
JFK 27,428,335
MIA 19,301,670
LAX 18,677,379

I doubt that any airport authority would let an airline own it's own terminal today, but they do heavily negotiate cost sharing with airlines.
August 7th, 2017 at 12:51:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think JFK circa 1960 is relatively unique

At Monterrey, Viva built Terminal C, which is in the cargo/freight area (very appropriate) of the airport. I know of no other such case in Mexico.

BTW, and moving on, Lucky at One Mile at a Time took a flight on Spirit. This guy complains about business and first class seats for insufficient privacy, so you'd think he'd rip Spirit to shreds. Quite the contrary, much to my surprise.

He does make one good point: the Big Front Seat on Spirit is comparable to domestic first class, but can be had for less (albeit without priority boarding, extra luggage allowance, in-flight WiFi, seat back screen or even meals).

He also notes Spirit charges more for a carry-on bag than for a checked bag. the worst part of this, is that it made perfect sense to me, given Spirit's model (ugh). One consequence is that the lines at Spirits' counters are insanely long, like figure standing in line for an hour to an hour and a half long.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 8th, 2017 at 3:29:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
He also notes Spirit charges more for a carry-on bag than for a checked bag. the worst part of this, is that it made perfect sense to me

In theory your "carry on" should be for things you are going to use while in-flight plus spare underwear and socks in case your luggage is lost.
August 8th, 2017 at 6:58:59 AM permalink
Nareed
In theory your "carry on" should be for things you are going to use while in-flight plus spare underwear and socks in case your luggage is lost.

In practice passengers with carry-on bags slow down the boarding and deplaning processes. Ergo Spirit discourages such bags, or at least makes a pretty penny from them.

I read a note the other day that Ryanair cabin crew now have sales quotas for buy on board items. At least there's a minimum average of sales per crew member per flight. I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit has a similar system, or if it adopts one in the near future. And it does make a difference. Typically buy on board items are way overpriced, worse than at the concession stand at a movie theater. But if the crew has sales quotas, they'll be more pushy about it.

I don't see the legacy airlines, or Jet Blue, copying this particular aspect any time soon. But come the next travel industry down-turn, who knows.

those of us who wonder how flying could get worse, keep getting more and more answers to that question.

Even Interjet is going down the tubes. yesterday on Facebook they announced the cancellation of one flight to and from Merida to MEX. The directions for re-booking had tons of limitations, and there was an explicit line about NO REFUNDS, except for the highest level fare. But at least they still have 34" pitch.
August 8th, 2017 at 7:26:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
In practice passengers with carry-on bags slow down the boarding and deplaning processes.

Allegiant Air flies from Orlando FL to my small airport in PA (885 miles one way) They schedule 50 minutes to deplane the passengers and board new ones, refuel, and unload luggage and put new luggage onboard. The round trip time take off from Florida and land in Florida is 5:35.

The rapid turnaround is critical to allowing them to make three flights in one day on at least some of the days.

So while it is critical to their business model, pricing the carry on bags higher than checked bags makes it less stressful on the passengers as well.
August 8th, 2017 at 7:57:08 AM permalink
Nareed
So while it is critical to their business model, pricing the carry on bags higher than checked bags makes it less stressful on the passengers as well.

You know what would speed up turn-around times?

1) Get rid of the jet bridge and use stairs instead, placing them at both the forward and aft doors in narrow bodies.

2) Add a second jet bridge to all gates and use both doors in narrow bodies.

Option 1) was standard in TLC (I suppose it still is, but that airport is deader than a door nail), and is standard in some small airports like Cd. del Carmen. Deplaning in particular is very fast, with a normal load of carry-on bags aboard.

Spirit's price difference between carry-on and checked bags isn't that big in absolute terms. Given the long lines to check a bag, more over, I assume experienced travelers pay the carry-on fee instead.

Another option would be to do away with overhead bins entirely. Limit passengers to items up to 10 lbs that fit under the seat (you'd need a bin or closet for passengers on the overwing exit row). That saves you the weight of the bins themselves, and gives the cattle car (passenger cabin) a more open and airy feel.
August 8th, 2017 at 9:16:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What do people really need in flight? A book, breathmints, ? Best thing would be to ban carryon and ban anything that delays loading or unloading: strollers, brats, physically impaired.
August 8th, 2017 at 10:22:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Spirit's price difference between carry-on and checked bags isn't that big in absolute terms. Given the long lines to check a bag, more over, I assume experienced travelers pay the carry-on fee instead.

I am obviously a big proponent of pay per use airlines and I will gladly pay $5 extra to carry my bag on as opposed to checking it. For me even worse than checking in the bag is waiting for the bags to come out. I can usually be at my home before the luggage hits the carousel.

Besides, those that fly Spirit a lot learn to cram everything in your "personal item" and not pay for any bags.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 8th, 2017 at 11:22:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I am obviously a big proponent of pay per use airlines and I will gladly pay $5 extra to carry my bag on as opposed to checking it. For me even worse than checking in the bag is waiting for the bags to come out. I can usually be at my home before the luggage hits the carousel.

Fair enough. but is't not $5 per carry-on. it's about $5 more than for a checked bag.

Quote:
Besides, those that fly Spirit a lot learn to cram everything in your "personal item" and not pay for any bags.

Mark my words: within 5 years, Spirit, or some other ULCC, will be charging for personal items as well.
August 8th, 2017 at 4:16:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Mark my words: within 5 years, Spirit, or some other ULCC, will be charging for personal items as well.

I suppose anything is possible, but charging for a briefcase or a purse may put people off flying completely.

But you never thought you would be charged for selecting a seat or picking up a boarding pass at the airport.