Yet another aviation thread.

April 2nd, 2018 at 4:52:56 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
About that: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/03/29/qantas-fined-jfk-lax/

Though I liked the headline "Airline Fined for Selling Tickets" better :)

Nah! I knew you would have posted this one! Should have checked before posting it in the 5th freedom thread. :)
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:12:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
See, the old way of travel involved 14 hours Melbourne to Dubai. The new way involves 17 hours from Perth to London.

14-17 includes 14 :)

Still, people know flying to Australia from virtually anywhere, except Polynesia and New Zealand, is bound to be a long, long flight. The thing is now we have more such ultra-long haul flights around. I wonder if that trend will die when oil prices climb enough...

On the other hand, if Boom manages to succeed, that might change things.

Quote:
If the A321LR flies 4725 miles so the next iteration (the A322) will be developed to counter the B797.

I should hope Airbus won't perpetuate a narrow body design like Boeing did.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:13:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Aussie
Nah! I knew you would have posted this one! Should have checked before posting it in the 5th freedom thread. :)

I almost didn't.
April 3rd, 2018 at 6:55:42 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Still, people know flying to Australia from virtually anywhere, except Polynesia and New Zealand, is bound to be a long, long flight. .

I did SFO-SYD and LAX-SYD those are definitely the longest flights I have flown.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 3rd, 2018 at 9:15:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
I did SFO-SYD and LAX-SYD those are definitely the longest flights I have flown.

The California to Sydney routes were established in the mid 1970's by Pan Am on a B747-SP . At the time San Francisco was the major trans Pacific hub, and traffic gradually moved to LAX.

It was roughly two decades before a new generation of B747-400s permitted longer routes. United broke that distance with Chicago to Hong Kong 5 Jul 1998.

Today US flagged carriers fly 9 routes longer than LAX-SYD with a 10th to restart on 20 July 2018

1 United Airlines Los Angeles Singapore
2 United Airlines Houston Sydney
3 United Airlines San Francisco Singapore
4 Delta Air Lines Atlanta Johannesburg
5 American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth Hong Kong
6 United Airlines Newark Hong Kong
7 United Airlines Los Angeles Melbourne
8 United Airlines Newark Mumbai
9 United Airlines Chicago—O'Hare Hong Kong
10 Delta Air Lines Atlanta Shanghai (begins 20 Jul 2018)

Boeing is still trying to develop an ultra long range version of B777-8 that will carry a full load from Sydney to JFK (and possibly to LHR)

Singapore Airlines will be flying from SIN to both LAX and Newark this fall, but with only 162 seats (68 business). It is difficult to see how they can compete with United on the LAX-SIN as United will have 252 seats (48 business).

Qantas puts 174 seats in their B737s, so they are very unlikely to buy any of these planes.
April 3rd, 2018 at 9:36:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Nobody cares how wide an airplane is they only care about the interior seating giving them aisle seats or atleast seats where not everyone is crawling all over them while the kid behind them kicks.
April 3rd, 2018 at 9:49:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
1 United Airlines Los Angeles Singapore Don't sell much
2 United Airlines Houston Sydney Don't sell much
3 United Airlines San Francisco Singapore Don't sell much
4 Delta Air Lines Atlanta Johannesburg Sell a lot. Its either this or SA out of IAD through DKR to get to JNB
5 American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth Hong Kong don't sell much
6 United Airlines Newark Hong Kong don't sell much
7 United Airlines Los Angeles Melbourne Sell a lot
8 United Airlines Newark Mumbai Sell a ton. I sell this particular flight more then any other flight on the planet
9 United Airlines Chicago—O'Hare Hong Kong sell some
10 Delta Air Lines Atlanta Shanghai (begins 20 Jul 2018)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2018 at 9:54:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I doubt very much Airbus will respond to the B797 with their own mid market dual aisle jet. I think some sort of response will be required, but I suspect the A322 will be a single aisle jet which will push past the 5000 statute mile range.

If they just flew 4728 statute miles with the A321LR they are almost there.
April 3rd, 2018 at 10:03:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Boeing is still trying to develop an ultra long range version of B777-8 that will carry a full load from Sydney to JFK (and possibly to LHR)

I wonder if Airbus could take part of the lower deck of the A380 to add fuel tanks. That should push the range to well within SYD-LHR, which would at least be a wider prison.

But then whichever airline does it, will likely go 11 abreast, too.
April 3rd, 2018 at 12:37:24 PM permalink
Nareed
I doubt very much Airbus will respond to the B797 with their own mid market dual aisle jet.

I don't know, and I suspect neither does Airbus.

Quote:
I think some sort of response will be required, but I suspect the A322 will be a single aisle jet which will push past the 5000 statute mile range.

By all menas.

My point is I hope Airbus ins't doing the A320 neo novus in the 2030s(*).

IMO if Airbus wants to maintain its lead over Boeing, they should focus on a new narrow body design entirely. true, the A320 family can be stretched more and re-engined a few more times. but if they went with a composite design, lighter and with better environmental comfort, they'll surely skip way ahead of the Boeing 737 MAX ULTIMATE by then.

(*) I know it's likely the current neo run will stretch into the 2030s.