Yet another aviation thread.

April 7th, 2018 at 1:20:24 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
Here's a review of the new Singapore suites: https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/03/29/singapore-airlines-new-suites-a380-review/

Spoiler alert, the reviewer wasn't impressed.

Lufthansa and Etihad also offer a separate seat and bed on some first class configurations

Not impressed is relative. A lot of reviews I have read have felt that while it is a fantastic product, there were certain aspects that could have been done better and as a result SQ have missed an opportunity to create something that is a real game changer.
April 7th, 2018 at 2:04:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Aussie
Not impressed is relative. A lot of reviews I have read have felt that while it is a fantastic product, there were certain aspects that could have been done better and as a result SQ have missed an opportunity to create something that is a real game changer.

I don't know if Singapore Airlines is going to use the same suites that are on the A380 on the A350-900ULR (7 orders). Also the intention for the A350-900ULR was always to fly nonstop to Newark Airport, there are enough planes now to fly to two more destinations.

While LAX was an original destination for the ULR, in the past two years both Singapore Airlines and United Airlines are now flying nonstop to Singapore from SFO. UAL also has a nonstop from SIN to LAX. SIA has two one stop flights to LAX via both Seoul and Tokyo.

So besides Newark, what are the other possibilities? My guess would be Chicago and possibly Houston (if they can fly that far). But Miami and Denver are also conceivable.

April 9th, 2018 at 7:24:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Lufthansa's configuration seems to be the oldest. It is a little more utilitarian, and does not come with the double bed option.

You read the reviews of Lufthansa's first class these days, and you wonder how the poor habitual premium-class travelers can possibly enjoy their champagne and gourmet meals when there is so little privacy. I tell you, some of them are so eloquent and expressive about it, it's all I can do wedged in a middle seat with overpriced buy-on-board options not to cry.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 9th, 2018 at 7:25:42 AM permalink
Nareed
I don't know if Singapore Airlines is going to use the same suites that are on the A380 on the A350-900ULR (7 orders).

My limited understanding of Singapore is that the A380 first class is specific to the A380.
April 9th, 2018 at 8:04:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
My limited understanding of Singapore is that the A380 first class is specific to the A380.

I think you are correct. But there is also a business shared bed that is on the A380 and may be on the A350-ULR

Normal business class has a divider you can pull down to talke to your colleague, but sleeping arrangements are a little less intimate.

SIA is configuring the ULR plane with 162 seats (ZERO first class 68 business and 94 premium economy), and expect to be flying in about 6 months. Qantas is willing to wait four more years as their range requirement is longer and they want 300 total seats. New Zealand Air may copy SIA configuration to put in a nonstop to NYC without having to wait more than four years.

United is now flying nonstop from LAX to Singapore, and Singapore Air now has two one stop flights (Tokyo and Seoul). Both United and Singapore Air have nonstops to San Francisco .

It is difficult to understand how much more people will pay for the 900ULR version with cheaper competition available.

... it's all I can do wedged in a middle seat with overpriced buy-on-board options not to cry.

For normal people it's all we can do to hope that the Bombardier brings back 2-3 seating configuration for single aisle jets (with a slightly wider middle seat) or that Boeing's NMA will return the 2-3-2 configuration of the B767. Statistically that will reduce the possibility of a middle seat to 1 in 5 or 1 in 7.
April 9th, 2018 at 11:52:20 AM permalink
Nareed
I think you are correct. But there is also a business shared bed that is on the A380 and may be on the A350-ULR

That I don't know.

Quote:
It is difficult to understand how much more people will pay for the 900ULR version with cheaper competition available.

And I don't think they're counting on last-minute business travelers. But consider, a connection, even a short flight LAX-SFO, can add considerable time to what's already a long trip. If you're willing to pay premium class, you may splurge for the time savings.

Quote:
For normal people it's all we can do to hope that the Bombardier brings back 2-3 seating configuration for single aisle jets (with a slightly wider middle seat) or that Boeing's NMA will return the 2-3-2 configuration of the B767. Statistically that will reduce the possibility of a middle seat to 1 in 5 or 1 in 7.

The difference between coach and the premium classes is ridiculous, isn't it?
April 9th, 2018 at 1:20:41 PM permalink
Nareed
BTW, today, April 9th 2018, marks the fifty-first year since the B-737's entry into service.

I'll get off the hobby horse of chastising Boeing for keeping such an old design flying.

Instead I propose a comparison with the A320 family. overall, there isn't much difference. That is to say, an airline looking to buy a narrow body for mainline travel would be about equally justified choosing either, even if the Airbus product is about two decades younger.

So what does this mean?

It means that the oval airplane fuselage with swept wings is played out. All the improvements between the original 737 and today's various MAX versions lies elsewhere. Where exactly? in stuff like engines, fly-by-wire, materials, and possibly winglets or wing fences (there are many other ways of reducing drag in the wing tips, as you can see from the 787's raked wing).

To be sure, the 737's 51-year old design is more played out. For one thing, it can't take a larger engine without a more radical redesign of the landing gear. See a photo of the first generation 737s, and you'll notice the engines seem tiny, and more importantly their nacelles are not flattened at the bottom. A larger engine would mean raising the landing gear, and dealing with the subsequent structural issue. It would probably cost more than a clean slate design.

The A320 could take a larger engine. Therefore it may reach the 50+ year mark as well.

But in both cases, additional fuel efficiencies will come from elsewhere.

Very likely the next generation mainline narrow body will be larger (longer) and make use of composites to reduce weight. They'll be able to fly longer routes, too, displacing more wide bodies from established routes as well.

What about the generation after next? Unless A very cheap power source is developed, the law of diminishing returns will force the very conservative plane manufacturers to look at radically different aircraft shapes, like blended wing bodies (think B-2)
April 11th, 2018 at 6:55:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Now you can sleep in the cargo hold.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/11/news/airbus-cargo-hold-beds/index.html
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 11th, 2018 at 7:48:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Now you can sleep in the cargo hold.

It's not a bad idea, except that it'll never happen. Same as with other radical innovations by manufacturers.

Why not? Because it doesn't increase passenger density, and likely won't increase revenue enough.

As is, airlines do get income from flying cargo, but I don't know how much. Still, if they wanted to make use of the cargo space for passengers, they'd most likely add seats there (awaiting the very obvious objection).
April 11th, 2018 at 9:32:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Still, if they wanted to make use of the cargo space for passengers, they'd most likely add seats there (awaiting the very obvious objection).

The very obvious objection is the FAA rules on maximum number of passengers that can safely evacuate in 90 seconds. They are retrofitting only A330 which has an internal staircase. If you add a handful of passengers in a conference room or in sleeping quarters they can get up the stairs, but if you add 50 passengers in regular chairs, they will overload the stairway.