Yet another aviation thread.

April 24th, 2018 at 9:14:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
You have a tendency to take everything to an extreme.

I don't mean reams of printouts on maintenance records.
Oh, I know that. Its just that if passengers will pay super low fares knowing that those fares are too low for the airline to be flying them safely, knowing when the plane's birthday is won't be much help.

If the fare is too low to hire and train experienced pilots and too low to perform maintenance properly, the difference between a twelve year old plane and a four year old plane won't really matter much.
April 26th, 2018 at 6:59:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Soon we will learn that:

The C Series is dead. Long live the A200!

This should give Sheldon Cooper a brain itch, as properly it should be the A360.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 26th, 2018 at 7:43:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
The C Series is dead. Long live the A200!

If you spend $6 billion than you wold probably want to rename it as well.
April 26th, 2018 at 7:48:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If you spend $6 billion than you wold probably want to rename it as well.

Yes, but they break with their own system, or so Sheldon claims ;) It feels tacked-on, as if they didn't develop the plane themselves (I know what I said). I assume they'll be the A210 and A220. Do you know how hard it is to type about an Airbus model in an aviation thread and not automatically begin with A3? It would be like Boeing having named the B717 B606.

I could go on, but surely you get the point.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 27th, 2018 at 2:30:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
The unfortunately named Boom aviation company . The stated goal is that a Mach 2.2 ticket from NY to London or Paris should cost about as much as a current business class ticket.

Boom's plane, if it gets built and if it succeeds, would still be a prototype of sorts (even if it can get permission to fly over land). It's a first generation kind of plane, and we still have to see what the market actually makes of it.

C Trip: China's largest online travel agency. is the latest investor in Boom technology.

I wonder what the acceptance to overland supersonic flights will be in Asia? Tokyo to Singapore (3,324 miles) is similar in distance to London to NYC (3,451 miles) and mostly overwater, but the Asian millionaire will want some over land routes.
April 27th, 2018 at 9:20:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I wonder what the acceptance to overland supersonic flights will be in Asia?
Beats me, but in Asia the decision is likely to be made by fewer than twenty men. Millions may be affected by it but the decision will be made at the top.
April 27th, 2018 at 10:50:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Beats me, but in Asia the decision is likely to be made by fewer than twenty men. Millions may be affected by it but the decision will be made at the top.

Well as long as we are talking stereotypes, Asians are much more likely than Europeans or Americans to do things just because they can (status symbols).

We know that people will fly supersonic from (JFK-LHR:3,451 mi) and we think that they will fly (JFK-LAX :2,475 mi) if they were permitted. They would certainly fly (LAX-NRT: 5,451 miles) if there was a plane that could go that distance.

But what about shorter distances? If there was a lot of VIP treatment at the airport that sped up your time through the airport on both ends, would people fly supersonic for as little as 500 miles? For a trip that short you might end up at supersonic speeds for only 10 minutes, just enough time to say you did it.

This is a similar argument to the Heathrow Express (16.5 miles) built in London in the 1990s , compared to the Shanghai Maglev (18.95 miles) which began operations in 2004. The Heathrow Express takes 15 minutes, while the Shanghai train normally takes 8 minutes. There is no long term benefit from saving less than ten minutes, but many people want to ride the fastest rail in the world.

NRT SIN : 3,324 mi
SIN HKG : 1,587 mi
TPE NRT : 1,356 mi
ICN TPE : 907 mi
ICN PVG : 511 mi

Personally, I think that many people would fly supersonic from Seoul to Shanghai. I am certain people flew the Concorde that were far less concerned about the value of 3.5 hours of their time, as they were about being in small space with celebrities or the mega rich.

It might be interesting to point out the routes that were tried in the 1970's on the Concorde. You'll note that they did not slow down when crossing Lebanon.
May 9th, 2018 at 9:31:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I learn something new everyday in this business
Got a client needed to get from PEN to KUL
I book a lot of people into KUL and pretty much just look at KUL
I just learned that they have 2 airports
I had no idea. I try to stay abreast of major cities with 2 or more airports
SZB is the alternative to KUL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 9th, 2018 at 12:12:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes, many people chose the Concorde as a status symbol but its sonic boom was across the water.
Sonic booms across Asian land will be allowed or denied by a very few decision makers but if the flights exist I'm sure there will be very many Asian status seekers who opt to take a very short flight at a nominal supersonic speed.
May 9th, 2018 at 12:12:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I would want to ride that MagLev train too even though the time saving is negligible.