Yet another aviation thread.

July 18th, 2018 at 6:53:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I just checked schedules
Looks like arrival into JFK 657am if you are departing out of LAS and switching to a 835am departure out of JFK
Should be enough time as long as you arrive on time
You miss that flight, skyteam does not really have anything else that day
AA does operate a connection to SXM through MIA later in the day out of JFK if you miss the flight
Sometimes carriers will protect on competition, sometimes not. Its a case by case basis with a lot of factors to consider for the airlines.
if you are leaving out of LAS and delayed and will miss connect, ask DL to protect on the later connection out of LAS through ATL to SXM
If flying Delta, always better to be stuck in ATL rather then JFK if you miss a flight

We are going to be in Phoenix that week so we will be leaving out of PHX.

I just checked the reservation, flight arrives JFK at 7:20am and departs JFK for SXM at 8:35am.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 18th, 2018 at 7:13:20 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
We are going to be in Phoenix that week so we will be leaving out of PHX.

I just checked the reservation, flight arrives JFK at 7:20am and departs JFK for SXM at 8:35am.

Buy seats at the front of the PHX-JFK flight
It can take 20 min to get off a plane. Might need that 20 min
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2018 at 7:23:09 AM permalink
DRich
Buy seats at the front of the PHX-JFK flight
It can take 20 min to get off a plane. Might need that 20 min

I am counting on the fact that if the flight has landed at JFK, Delta will probably hold the SXM flight knowing that we are there and they don't have another flight that day.

I am too cheap to pay for seats on an airplane. Although we have free checked bags on Delta via my Delta AMEX card, I will try and convince the wife and girlfriend to just pack everything in the carry-on's. If it is close there is a good chance the bags won't make it even if we do.
July 18th, 2018 at 7:59:30 AM permalink
terapined
I am counting on the fact that if the flight has landed at JFK, Delta will probably hold the SXM flight knowing that we are there and they don't have another flight that day.

I am too cheap to pay for seats on an airplane. Although we have free checked bags on Delta via my Delta AMEX card, I will try and convince the wife and girlfriend to just pack everything in the carry-on's. If it is close there is a good chance the bags won't make it even if we do.

I really doubt that plane would be held for you
Airlines are real big on on time stats
and
There are passengers in SXM waiting to board that flight in the afternoon to go back to the USA
These passengers leaving SXM probably have connections and don't want to depart late and miss a connection
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2018 at 9:24:11 AM permalink
DRich
I really doubt that plane would be held for you
Airlines are real big on on time stats
and
There are passengers in SXM waiting to board that flight in the afternoon to go back to the USA
These passengers leaving SXM probably have connections and don't want to depart late and miss a connection

You may be right, but I know over the last 25 years I have probably had 10 flights held for me to make a connection.. It is probably less likely now but if they know your plane has already landed I think they still wait up to 15 minutes.
July 18th, 2018 at 9:33:24 AM permalink
terapined
You may be right, but I know over the last 25 years I have probably had 10 flights held for me to make a connection.. It is probably less likely now but if they know your plane has already landed I think they still wait up to 15 minutes.

I can see a flight being held if its the last flight of the day for that plane and its only going to sit at the airport overnite once it lands
Unfortunately that's not your flight
I am sure Delta wants an on time turn around because the majority of passengers leaving SXM are probably connecting to get home
July 18th, 2018 at 1:22:02 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Key will be do you have to change terminals in JFK? And if so do they still make you take the air train or can you change airside? Are all delta flights in the same terminal?
July 18th, 2018 at 1:46:58 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Aussie
Key will be do you have to change terminals in JFK? And if so do they still make you take the air train or can you change airside? Are all delta flights in the same terminal?

From the little bit I have read it looks like Terminal 2 is Delta domestic and Terminal 4 is international. It says a shuttle runs every 4 minutes.
July 18th, 2018 at 8:17:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Delta flies out of both Terminals #2 and #4. I don't know if they know gates that far in advance, but if you are in different terminals (Delta 2477 / 461) it could be a problem in 85 minutes if your first leg is late.

The only alternative to avoid transfers from Las Vegas is to vacation in Panamas since it is really the only true tropical destination with a nonstop to Las Vegas. Guadalajara and Mexico City are also in the tropics, but most women don't like big city vacations.
July 19th, 2018 at 7:29:54 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Pacomartin

The only alternative to avoid transfers from Las Vegas is to vacation in Panamas since it is really the only true tropical destination with a nonstop to Las Vegas. Guadalajara and Mexico City are also in the tropics, but most women don't like big city vacations.

I would spend a lot of three day weekends in Cancun, Cabo, or Puerto Vallarta if we had direct airline service. I am actually shocked that no airline can justify a twice a week flight to these locations.