Yet another aviation thread.

July 19th, 2018 at 11:06:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
I would spend a lot of three day weekends in Cancun, Cabo, or Puerto Vallarta if we had direct airline service. I am actually shocked that no airline can justify a twice a week flight to these locations.

They tried service to all three of those cities from Las Vegas, but it didn't take.

VivaAerobus Mexico City
Interjet Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey
Aeroméxico Mexico City
Aeroméxico Connect Monterrey
LATAM Brasil Seasonal: São Paulo–Guarulhos
Copa Airlines Panama City

My suggestion for a three day weekend of pampering is to fly to Guadalajara on Interjet and check into a luxury hotel chain for around $150 per night.
https://quintareal.com/hotels

July 19th, 2018 at 1:03:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin

My suggestion for a three day weekend of pampering is to fly to Guadalajara on Interjet and check into a luxury hotel chain for around $150 per night.
https://quintareal.com/hotels

For my wife and I a nice beach is a prerequisite. She is going to Puerto Vallarta soon to try out a resort that we haven't been to. Sadly, she has a layover at LAX.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 19th, 2018 at 4:13:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
For my wife and I a nice beach is a prerequisite. She is going to Puerto Vallarta soon to try out a resort that we haven't been to. Sadly, she has a layover at LAX.

I suppose I am sympathetic.Personally, I think beaches are overrated as destinations.

Southwest Airlines flies nonstop to Puerto Vallarta from five of their cities. Vegas is so important to them you would think they would include Vegas and Phoenix.

Chicago–Midway
Baltimore–Washington
Las Vegas
X Denver
Phoenix–Sky Harbor
Dallas–Love Field
X Houston–Hobby
Orlando
X Oakland
X Los Angeles
Atlanta
St. Louis
X San Diego
Nashville
Fort Lauderdale
San Jose (CA)
Tampa
Sacramento
Kansas City
Austin

November 4, 2016 was also the date of a DHS announcement that eleven more airports in nine countries had been added to the list of possible preclearance airports:

El Dorado International Airport (BOG) in Bogota, Colombia
Ministro Pistarini International Airport (EZE) in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Edinburgh Airport (EDI) in Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Keflavik International Airport (KEF) in Iceland
Mexico City International Airport (MEX) in Mexico City, Mexico
Milan-Malpensa Airport (MXP) in Milan, Italy
Kansai International Airport (KIX) in Osaka, Japan
Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport (GIG) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport (FCO) in Rome, Italy
São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) in São Paulo, Brazil
Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) in St. Maarten.

While you are no doubt happy about the idea of pre-clearance at SXM, I wonder why Mexico city would be chosen before Cancun, Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.

Conspiracy theorists believe that the motivation is not so much to speed things up for tourists also by the desire to prevent the arrival of asylum seekers, who are otherwise protected under the 1951 Refugee Convention's non-refoulement provisions once they arrive at their destination.
July 19th, 2018 at 7:13:24 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Pacomartin
I suppose I am sympathetic.Personally, I think beaches are overrated as destinations.

That just tells me that you are a lot more motivated than we are. Our day starts at 8am on the beach and we read until about 4pm. At 5pm we eat dinner and by 7pm we are back to the balcony of the condo. Consume adult beverages until 10pm and go to sleep. Repeat every day of vacation. We probably each read about one book per day on vacation. If we get adventurous, we may try a different beach one day.
July 19th, 2018 at 8:12:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
That just tells me that you are a lot more motivated than we are. Our day starts at 8am on the beach and we read until about 4pm. At 5pm we eat dinner and by 7pm we are back to the balcony of the condo. Consume adult beverages until 10pm and go to sleep. Repeat every day of vacation. We probably each read about one book per day on vacation. If we get adventurous, we may try a different beach one day.

I am just saying that three hours in a plane, a luxury hotel room for probably $150 a night (unless you book the Presidential suite, which the President of Mexico really stays in). A beautiful restaurant in the hotel. Fine indoor outdoor dining including all the cuisines from Japanese, Italian, French all within an a mile of the hotel, and a beautiful swimming pool.

Plus the best margaritas you ever tasted, made from real ingredients and not a mix.

11:00 hrs - 16:10 hrs (3:10)Las Vegas -> Guadalajara
09:00 hrs - 10:20 hrs (3:20) Guadalajara -> Las Vegas

Or the best Cuban Music outside of Havana in a bar named after the ultra famous Havana hotspot, La Bodeguita del Medio.

Plus a 500 year old downtown that will rival a European capital.
July 20th, 2018 at 6:02:53 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Our day starts at 8am on the beach and we read until about 4pm. ...
We probably each read about one book per day on vacation

Spill the beans
Whats good to read
Always on the outlook
I tend to find a good author then read all their stuff.
Reading all of Michael Connelly books. He still has it
Reading all of Preston Childs, those guys have lost it. Disappointed in last book
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 20th, 2018 at 7:41:56 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
Spill the beans
Whats good to read
Always on the outlook
I tend to find a good author then read all their stuff.
Reading all of Michael Connelly books. He still has it
Reading all of Preston Childs, those guys have lost it. Disappointed in last book

I really don't read much. I generally only read on airplanes and vacations. I read nonfiction mostly, I enjoy biographies. If I read fiction it is usually just some throwaway detective novel that I can knock out in a day.
August 29th, 2018 at 9:25:50 AM permalink
DRich
I am excited. Frontier Airlines just announced non-stop flights from Las Vegas to Cancun and Cabo San Lucas(also to Canada, but I don't care about that because their beaches suck).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/tourism/frontier-airlines-to-launch-flights-from-las-vegas-to-mexico/
August 29th, 2018 at 1:49:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I am excited. Frontier Airlines just announced non-stop flights from Las Vegas to Cancun and Cabo San Lucas(also to Canada, but I don't care about that because their beaches suck).

Check out Playa Del Carmen, a little more low key, but a lot of good dining options.
https://www.playadelcarmen.com/

Also, Coba is a little more Indiana Jones than Chichen Itza
October 29th, 2018 at 12:27:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
Reviews of the new densified AA 737-8 MAX are not good:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/11/29/flew-americans-first-new-no-legroom-plane-heres-really-like/
About the lavs, the author neglects to consider how any woman would have trouble managing it.

I think this is the model that Lion Air just flew into the ocean off Jakarta after thirteen minutes. All believed lost. catastrophic rate of descent at the end
Probably won't even be large pieces.