Yet another aviation thread.

October 29th, 2018 at 12:33:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How do you crash a plane that is two months old? they couldn't even glide.
October 29th, 2018 at 3:59:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Bad news for Boeing.

Quote: Fleastiff
I think this is the model that Lion Air ...

The Boeing 737-8 Max had been delivered new to Lion Air on 13 August 2018 and flown to Indonesia two months before the accident. At the time of the accident, the aircraft had flown about 800 hours in service.This is the first accident involving a 737 MAX since the type's entry into service in 2017.

Lion Air is the launch customer for the B737 Max 9.

The flight was a mere 275 miles, and the crash took place only 13 minutes after takeoff.

Roughly 1 million people live on the island which is slightly larger than Jamaica.

Jet photo
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/10/29/08/51BFEBD400000578-6327571-The_Lion_Air_aircraft_crashed_about_13_minutes_after_taking_off_-a-8_1540800296265.jpg
October 29th, 2018 at 5:16:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Crashed but was clearly in trouble right away.
Many speculated about a pitot cover having been left on which is a possibility on the first flight of the day but others looked at weight and balance and, knowing Indonesian customs regarding men and women felt longitudinal stability was a problem because males are seated first, in the front, and females must board later and sit in the back. On such a heavily loaded flight some feel the plane was unstable and even a bantam weight stewardess at the rear could have exerted an uncommanded input.
October 29th, 2018 at 5:42:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Crashed but was clearly in trouble right away.

It never got higher than 5400' altitude. It was bouncing around between 4800' and 5400' three times before it crashed.
October 29th, 2018 at 4:26:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
A lot of speculation about pitot cover(s), pitot obstruction such as water or insects, maintenance tape left over the static air source. Many forget that these pilots are trained to the minimum and even in clear weather have probably never flown by looking out the window. Never. How do you stall a brand new plane at low altitude on a clear sunny morning? By having button pushers instead of pilots who know how to fly a plane. That is a skill that is not tested, therefore its not trained.
October 29th, 2018 at 5:14:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I am pretty shocked by this crash.
Makes no sense

I book a lot of flights in that part of the world but rarely CGK and never PGK
I book a lot of SIN-PEN roundtrip on Silk air.
I generally over nite my USA based clients in SIN outbound and return to do business in PEN
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 29th, 2018 at 6:58:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
>makes no sense
Two and half minutes after take off in beautiful and calm weather they were in trouble and knew it but they didn't seem to know what to do.

I think they stalled, rolled left and crashed at ultra high speed. If it had been on land it would be 'cratered'.

any number of possibilities some rather remote some not. Already there are three versions of a critical document ... which if any is the truth?

Basic situation. They know systems integration and button pushing but do not know how to fly a plane. They never have to know that.
October 30th, 2018 at 12:06:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
I am pretty shocked by this crash.
Makes no sense

I book a lot of flights in that part of the world but rarely CGK and never PGK
I book a lot of SIN-PEN roundtrip on Silk air.
I generally over nite my USA based clients in SIN outbound and return to do business in PEN

Penang Island (PEN) actually has a smaller population than Bangka Island (PGK) , but Penang was part of the British crown colony of the Straits Settlements.

Everyone is muttering that this shouldn't happen to a brand new jet.

October 30th, 2018 at 1:53:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin

Everyone is muttering that this shouldn't happen to a brand new jet.

well it shouldn't
Perfect weather, bright sunny morning, no adverse winds aloft or clouds.
Airplane just out of maintenance though.
rainstorm at night. intense
almost immediate difficulty
telemetry data unreliable
if there is a speed error induced by blocked static air why let the plane lower the nose so far that it stalls and rolls to left and goes down at ultra high speed?
grab controls, look out the windo w and fly the plane.
October 30th, 2018 at 5:43:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
well it shouldn't
Perfect weather, bright sunny morning, no adverse winds aloft or clouds.
Airplane just out of maintenance though.
rainstorm at night. intense
almost immediate difficulty
telemetry data unreliable
if there is a speed error induced by blocked static air why let the plane lower the nose so far that it stalls and rolls to left and goes down at ultra high speed?
grab controls, look out the windo w and fly the plane.

Just saw this report regarding passenger experience on the plane on the previous flight

Passengers flying on the same plane the night before it crashed said it was like riding a "roller coaster" and that the engine made strange noise throughout their flight, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/passengers-on-doomed-jet-before-crash-described-roller-coaster-ride/ar-BBP6tje?ocid=spartandhp
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"