Missouri Football

Page 3 of 3<123
November 14th, 2015 at 5:27:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Posting a link to an excellent article in the WSJ. I suspect the full article will be available only for a short period, so capture it now if you can't read it now.

Quote: link
[crybully charge against one college decrying] “institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism.” Really, you can’t make it up.

Quote:
The truth is that American universities are among the safest and most coddled environments ever devised by man. The idea that one should attend college to be protected from ideas one might find controversial or offensive could only occur to someone who had jettisoned any hope of acquiring an education.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rise-of-the-college-crybullies-1447458587
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 14th, 2016 at 3:03:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
The protests on this campus went on for months demanding University Tim Wolf to resign due to how he handles problems of racism on campus.

But the players of MO just showed who has real power.

Mizzou closes two dorms due to lack of students

Enrollment down by 1500 students forcing two dorms to close and other assorted austerity measures. Looks like a lot of people do not want to be around the childish student body there and the hostile environment that said students are creating.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 3:37:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman

Maybe Mizzou should get out of the football business and instead concentrate on education
If the price is being a smaller low profile University , so be it
The NCAA is a cancer on Universities and their student athletes
Taking part in a sport which can cause brain damage (CTE) in not what Universities should be participating in regardless of the millions at stake
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 14th, 2016 at 3:49:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

Maybe Mizzou should get out of the football business and instead concentrate on education

Maybe they need to get out of the babysitting business as well and tell their students to act like adults. That is what caused the problem, not the football program.

Quote:
The NCAA is a cancer on Universities and their student athletes
Taking part in a sport which can cause brain damage (CTE) in not what Universities should be participating in regardless of the millions at stake

I have no love for the NCAA, but not for your reason. Smart schools would bolt the NCAA and make their own association and run their programs like they want to. Let the smaller schools compete among themselves.
The President is a fink.
April 15th, 2016 at 11:46:12 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I wouldn't mind seeing schools do away with athletic scholarships. I believe the IVY league is that way.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 15th, 2016 at 12:06:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I wouldn't mind seeing schools do away with athletic scholarships. I believe the IVY league is that way.

I also would like to see
Freedom of movement, no coaches approval, no sitting out a year
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 3 of 3<123