Did you ever notice?

November 16th, 2015 at 8:05:00 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

So, why isn't it done anymore?

I don't know. Is that what it would take for you to believe, someone rising from the dead?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 16th, 2015 at 8:08:32 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
People respond to friendship,

People do respond to friendship. The greatest friendship one can have is with God who loves them. Our friendships are all reflections of and in imitation of the true friendship that Jesus Christ has with us. Friendships themselves are spiritual.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 16th, 2015 at 11:23:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I don't know.

Yes you do. It's not being done because
it was never done. Duh..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2015 at 11:26:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
People do respond to friendship. The greatest friendship one can have is with God

Imaginary friends are really no help at
all. I'd rather count on my brother in
law to fix my water heater, he's much
more dependable than god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2015 at 11:52:26 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I don't know. Is that what it would take for you to believe, someone rising from the dead?

No, I would also require no valid scientific explanation to be possible, and require that that any supernatural explanation could be attributed solely to god and no other supernatural explanation.

A bunch of catholic priests going around and raising the dead without using modern medicine would go a very long way in making me believe, though, especially if no one else could do it. It might be enough.

It is just another inconsistency in the Bible - Jesus told his followers to raise the dead, but he might not have actually said that, as it looks like those words were added later, and now his followers don't raise the dead. One or more of those parts of the bible which are believed to be the literal truth can not all be true.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 16th, 2015 at 12:00:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The greatest friendship one can have is with God who loves them.

This week one of the greatest problems was some people putting an imaginary being ahead of real lives. (terror attacks).
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2015 at 1:16:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Imaginary friends are really no help at
all. I'd rather count on my brother in
law to fix my water heater, he's much
more dependable than god.

Call your brother in law to fix your water heater. Call on God to fix your heart.
November 16th, 2015 at 1:23:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
No, I would also require no valid scientific explanation to be possible, and require that that any supernatural explanation could be attributed solely to god and no other supernatural explanation.

The only supernatural explanation for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is that He is who He says He is - God.

Quote:
A bunch of catholic priests going around and raising the dead without using modern medicine would go a very long way in making me believe, though, especially if no one else could do it. It might be enough.

I'm sorry then you won't accept spiritual resurrections, because we are doing that all the time.

Quote:
One or more of those parts of the bible which are believed to be the literal truth can not all be true.

This anyone with a good education can recognize. There are some parts of the Bible that were not written to be literal truth, look at the book of Revelation. It does not follow that none of it is true.
November 16th, 2015 at 2:31:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You told me all of the resurrections in the bible are literal truth, not spiritual resurrections.

Jesus may or may not have told his followers to (literally) raise the dead.

The bible also claims that his followers did in fact literally raise the dead.

Is it that hard for you to understand why I can't accept this, when for the past 1950 years or so there are no more stories or claims that christ's followers literally raise people from the dead?
You already agreed you don't know why raising the dead doesn't happen anymore.

Spiritual resurrection is a completely different thing, and I'm not talking about that right now.

Every single innaccuracy, exaggeration, contradiction, and fable one passed off as fact in the bible calls into question the rest of them.

The fact that some things may be true is not proof that any of the other things are true or not. It is like you have a book called "10 truths 5 unknowns and a lie" and are trying to use the fact that there are 10 truths to prove the unknowns are also true, and then go and reinterpret the lie in a way to make it seem "truthy"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 16th, 2015 at 7:53:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think your confusion comes because you don't know the author, getting to know Him and the Church He establish will help you know what is unknown, true, exaggeration, history, instruction, stories, literal, or parables.