Did you ever notice?

November 16th, 2015 at 8:04:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I think your confusion comes because you don't know the author, getting to know Him and the Church He establish will help you know what is unknown, true, exaggeration, history, instruction, stories, literal, or parables.

When you don't have a Real answer,
you Like to fall back on Silliness. The
only Way us pitiful Atheists can ever
Understand the the bible is to Believe
in a god that doesn't exist.

Knowing the 'author', as you claim to,
hasn't helped you understand how to
answer most of the questions we ask
in a satisfactory manner. Why do you
assume us getting to know him, a god
that doesn't exist, would help us understand
anything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2015 at 8:09:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You continue to hold a positive statement that there is definitely not a God when you have no reason, evidence, or logic to support this position. That is why you continue to misunderstand or not accept any of the answers I have given.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 16th, 2015 at 8:15:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
You continue to hold a positive statement that there is definitely not a God when you have no reason, evidence, or logic to support this position..

I hold a negative position. I will also
say there are no horses on Mars. Can
I prove it, no. Can you prove me wrong,
no. Neither can you prove me wrong
about god. You say potatoe and I say
potato.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2015 at 8:45:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
You hold a positive position in the sense that you are making a statement of certitude for which you then bear the burden of proof. One can easily say there are no horses on Mars because we know horses need breathable air and since there isn't on Mars it is clear that there cannot be horses on Mars. What about magic alien horses that don't breath air? Well then you have changed the definition of horses as we understand it and I would be forced to be agnostic to the existence of such alien horses.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 17th, 2015 at 12:40:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
One can easily say there are no horses on Mars because we know horses need breathable air

No no no. These could be special horses
that don't need the same kind of air we
do. They could be magic horses that go
about doing miracles and raising the dead.
They can walk on Martian water and turn
Martian water into wine. Just as preposterous
as what is recorded in the NT, and just as
believable.
November 17th, 2015 at 5:04:39 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I was reading about the history of athiesm on wikipedia. Athiests have been persecuted and put to death for over 2500 years. Some might say that since their beliefs have persisted, they must be true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_%C5%81yszczy%C5%84ski

That person, a polish nobleman and judge, was put to death by the catholic church in 1689. His tongue was pulled from his head with a burning hot tool, and he was beheaded. His crime was athiesm.

Here is the article on the history of athiesm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 17th, 2015 at 8:08:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Just as preposterous
as what is recorded in the NT, and just as
believable.

You need to think through your bias about what you are saying. Are alien horses on Mars really the same thing as a historical figure who is attested to by the most documented and complete ancient manuscript by leaps and bounds who is also mentioned in other secular histories and whose followers started a world wide religion that has changed human history in ways that nothing else ever could? You comparison would be laughable except I have the sinking feeling you actually believe it.

*edit* also be careful about your language, in describing your alien horses you said they could do this or that. Remember your position is not about "could" or "maybe" as an atheist you are 100% certain that there is no God and that some 90% of human beings now and throughout history are foolish.
November 17th, 2015 at 8:15:33 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
I was reading about the history of athiesm on wikipedia. Athiests have been persecuted and put to death for over 2500 years. Some might say that since their beliefs have persisted, they must be true.

Some people then would be wrong. Persecution and perseverance does not make things true, but it should be noticed as evidence especially when the claims against one's beliefs are that they are simply made up lies. In the case of Christianity or Atheism I don't think either is made up. However, the next step would be to look a little closer and see if there is any proof or logic for what they believe. Christianity has evidence and reason and logic. I have yet to hear evidence or any logic behind the belief that the universe popped into existence without a cause and that all life is accidental and in the long run meaningless. By the way, why would anyone want to die for such preposterous ideas?
November 17th, 2015 at 8:15:58 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
A lot of people believing something does not prove that it was true.

A LOT of people used to believe that everything rotated around the earth. a lot of people used to believe that the earth was hollow. A lot of people believed in gods who aren't believed in anymore.

The fact that a person existed does not prove that any particular thing written about him was true.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 17th, 2015 at 8:26:56 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
A lot of people believing something does not prove that it was true.

I agree, but it should be looked at. For example we used to believe that everything rotated around the earth. At the time this made sense it was based on our experiential knowledge. It would be considered obvious until we could explain and show that despite how it looks and feels we are actually orbiting the sun. Lots of people believe that the Son of God is at the center of our lives because of experiential knowledge. You consider it obvious that there is no God because it is what you feel and what life looks like without Him. I wish I could explain and show you that despite what you feel you too are orbiting the Son and He desires that you come to know Him and experience the joy of faith in Jesus Christ who loves you.

Quote:
The fact that a person existed does not prove that any particular thing written about him was true.

I also agree, that is why we have to look also at other evidence and find out if they collaborate together. What does oral tradition say, what do other historians say, does what was written play out and is still effective today? Did the contemporaries of this person, including neutral observers and enemies agree with what was written about him? These things and more can all be used to determine if what was written is true.