Terrible, horrible attack in Paris

June 4th, 2017 at 3:44:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
What are the odds I will die or get hurt by a terrorist
Tiny.
So tiny, I have a much better chance of getting hit by lighting.
Just being realistic about living in the real world
Huge 50k concert in Manchester today for the victims. If I was there, I would attend

To repeat what Bob said, you don't get it at all. In 1941 your chances of being killed by a Japanese Zero were near zero. Did we still have a problem? Should FDR have said, "My gardener is Japanese and a fine fellow, nothing to see here! Quit hating Japan!"

Funny how your chances of dying by global warming are even lower yet that is a bigger problem to you.

ISIS and other islamic terrorists must love people like you. You are kind of their PR department.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2017 at 4:50:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Even though the chances of any individual being killed by a terrorist are relatively small, I want that chance decreased. Let's also not forget the billions of dollars spent in necessary security measures, that if there was no terrorism, could be spent on fighting poverty or the arts or lowering taxes (or giving raises to politicians). You also don't think that tourists will be preferentially be going to countries that are more secure? As the terrorists know, their knife blades cut more than just the necks of their victims.
June 4th, 2017 at 5:21:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Even though the chances of any individual being killed by a terrorist are relatively small, I want that chance decreased. Let's also not forget the billions of dollars spent in necessary security measures, that if there was no terrorism, could be spent on fighting poverty or the arts or lowering taxes (or giving raises to politicians). You also don't think that tourists will be preferentially be going to countries that are more secure? As the terrorists know, their knife blades cut more than just the necks of their victims.

Right, chances of getting killed low, but attacks lower the quality of life. Forgetting the cost even, security eventually makes life feel like a prison camp. How many places do you get searched at nowadays? Years ago, almost every man carried a pocket knife for little emergencies, can't even do that anymore. Like NYC in the 1970s/80s. You might not get mugged, but all around the quality of life just awful.

We are headed that way, it may be too late for Europe.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2017 at 5:50:59 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

Well said!
June 4th, 2017 at 7:24:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

And I thought you were the doctor who thinks motorcylists should choose whether they want their brains to ooze out by not wearing a helmet.

Now you think the rest of us should respond to whatever risks you deem relevant?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2017 at 11:45:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Watching the One Love Manchester concert.
Its on now live
Pretty moving
Pharrell just did his 2 big hits, Get Lucky and Happy
14k seats up front were reserved for everybody that attended the Arriana Grande concert
Huge Stadium crowd
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2017 at 11:53:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What are the odds I will die or get hurt by a terrorist
Tiny.

What were the odds of it in
the US in 1985? Non existent.
That's the point that eludes
you and your ilk, what you see
is the start of something that
MUST be stopped or it will
spiral out of hand. In 20 years
you'll be saying, gee, only a
10% chance of being killed if
I leave the house, that's pretty
good.

Smart people nip evil in the bud,
ignorant ones tolerate it until it's
too late. They bury their heads
under their pillows and do nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2017 at 12:42:34 PM permalink
terapined
Watching the One Love Manchester concert.
Its on now live
Pretty moving
Pharrell just did his 2 big hits, Get Lucky and Happy
14k seats up front were reserved for everybody that attended the Arriana Grande concert
Huge Stadium crowd

I am really impressed by Ariana Grande
Never heard of her till last week.
Pretty impressive talent.
A natural on stage with a great voice
Very emotional concert
Music is so powerful
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2017 at 1:42:40 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
And I thought you were the doctor who thinks motorcylists should choose whether they want their brains to ooze out by not wearing a helmet.

Now you think the rest of us should respond to whatever risks you deem relevant?

Yes.

You really can't see the difference between an individual choosing to protect himself and himself only by wearing a helmet and our government keeping out the animals that commit the recent crimes in Manchester and London?

I guess I can't help you then.
June 4th, 2017 at 1:44:52 PM permalink
terapined
Yes.

You really can't see the difference between an individual choosing to protect himself and himself only by wearing a helmet and our government keeping out the animals that commit the recent crimes in Manchester and London?

Keep out who?
Most incidents are committed by people born in the country