June 4th, 2017 at 6:06:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
If you want to live elsewhere, find out about
lightening. By your cockeyed reasoning, people
in NYC should be taught how to scuba dive,
just in case.

Didn't NYC have severe flooding not that long ago?

You're just making the wrong assumption that information should be given equal priority.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2017 at 6:08:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Unless your brain is too small and slow, then it's okay to learn things in general.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2017 at 9:22:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Didn't NYC have severe flooding not that long ago?.

Yeah, scuba diving in flood waters,
now that's real good idea. Jeez..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2017 at 2:34:41 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The purpose of studies is to do a whole hell of lot of them that get the same results, not depend on one or a few.
You missed the point entirely. It was one study expressed in five different ways, if people could not recognize that, then how can they sensibly allocate risks and rewards when they don't even understand the nomenclature involved.
June 5th, 2017 at 2:38:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, scuba diving in flood waters, now that's real good idea. Jeez..
hey, Flood Girl on McTavish in Montreal got famous when that reservoir burst and she "surfed" down the flood and made internet history for the number of hits on McGill University and brave broad.
June 5th, 2017 at 2:59:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
CNN creates fake news about muslims denouncing attack:

The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2017 at 4:25:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Let's take the bias completely out. A non-partisan group of people can compile the top 100 risks, they can include any known benefits and long term risks.

Once we have them ordered by risk, we just put blank numbers over them. You won't be able to know anything about them except where they rank.

Then you choose. Why would you choose out of order? It's not smart. You put the most resources where the biggest risk. If 80% of spending need to go to the top 20, so be it.

I like this thinking. We would stop funding anti terror measures and increase funding anti sugared soda measures. But I get your point about being asked to pay for something you feel is not worth it. Last time at my airport I counted 20 or so TSA agents that to me appeared to be doing absolutely nothing. That does not include the many that were doing something. And the value of that something is questionable at best.
June 5th, 2017 at 4:40:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
CNN creates fake news about muslims denouncing attack:

I think this is a COMMON practice, not a rare event. I was part of it once. I was at a local bar known for chicken wings and beer for a MNF Bills game. A TV crew showed up to film the raucous crowd feasting and cheering on the home team. Unfortunately, there were around 8 of us in the entire bar. The crew asked us if we would mind sitting at the same table, with a TV on in the background. So when the piece ran it looked like a full bar because the entire picture was filled with people, (the 8 of us!). That is not how the narrative went, of course.

The news crew might interview 20 people at the scene of a news event. They pick the interview that fits the narrative they WANT to portray, even if 19 say one thing. As long as they find the 1 that says what they want to hear, it is what you will see. Does anyone here actually believe if CNN is doing a piece on the travel ban and the first person they interview says he is for it, and lists cogent reasons why, that you will see him on TV? Get real....
June 5th, 2017 at 5:45:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

I think this is a COMMON practice, not a rare event. I was part of it once. I was at a local bar known for chicken wings and beer for a MNF Bills game. A TV crew showed up to film the raucous crowd feasting and cheering on the home team. Unfortunately, there were around 8 of us in the entire bar. The crew asked us if we would mind sitting at the same table, with a TV on in the background. So when the piece ran it looked like a full bar because the entire picture was filled with people, (the 8 of us!). That is not how the narrative went, of course.

Should have went to Buffalo Brew Pub at Main/Tranist for a full place.

But seriously, yes, it is common and I have seen it. I was in Dallas when the Iraq War was heating up. A few blocks from where JFK was shot there was a Kurdish rally. Saw the news herding them into an area narrow and deep, it looked like the little square was crammed, but we walked a few feet away from it all, no big deal. Saw it on TV later, looked many times the size. To be fair it was was bigger than this example, but was set-up for the camera.

Point is I do not believe most of what I see on TV.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2017 at 11:50:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Point is I do not believe most of what I see on TV.

A few years ago NBC got caught setting
up an entire crime scene, yellow police
tape and all, and reporting it as breaking
news. I watch very little of what AMS is
hooked on, the 3 cable news whoring
networks. Fox, CNN or MS. I only look
at them when something real happens
and they have to report in real time and
can't lie about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.