Being satisfied with incomes under 100k

Page 1 of 212>
November 16th, 2015 at 11:37:15 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Split from thread about ISIS attacks in France.

Quote: boymimbo

Look at face, for example. His bittnerness towards life and his disenfranchment has to do with the lack of opportunity in his life. Give people opportunities and they will be content members of society and not on the edge which he himself has admitted to.

This is true, though mine was most definitely "First World Problems" as I still had a roof, clean water, etc. But it did allow for a sort of empathy, and the lack of hope is almost guaranteed to create monsters.

As an aside, I heard that ISIS plans to attack Washington, DC. Therefore, you may now consider myself in the "wait and see" camp. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 16th, 2015 at 11:53:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face

As an aside, I heard that ISIS plans to attack Washington, DC. Therefore, you may now consider myself in the "wait and see" camp. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that =p

Have you been to Washington DC?
Its already under attack
Try walking around SE DC.
Extremely dangerous.
How many died in Paris?
About that same number in DC over the past year due to homicides.
1991 is the banner year, 479 homicides
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 16th, 2015 at 11:56:23 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Look at face, for example. His bittnerness towards life and his disenfranchment has to do with the lack of opportunity in his life. Give people opportunities and they will be content members of society and not on the edge which he himself has admitted to.

The problem with this thought (I am speaking generally not about Face in particular) is what people see as opportunity. We in the West have expectations that were once possible for the majority of people but no longer are. I only need to go back to my parents and most people didn't have a car now one isn't enough for most families. To own a under 1000 ft2 bungalow was the goal. Now if it isn't a new fully loaded 3000 ft2 home people fell they are disenfranchised. Once a job any job was success now if it doesn't pay $100K a year with full benefits including 10 days of discretionary leave a year they won't stick with it.

I repeat the rest of the world is catching up to the west and they will no longer allow us to live the lifestyle that was once feasible. This really what is going on today and in the end our standard of living is going down and will continue to do so.

Get used to it and quit trying to find someone to blame. Both left and right are doing the blame thing but to the polar opposite segments of society. The right wants to blame the immigrants the left wants to blame the rich (defined as anybody with more money than me).

Rant over
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 16th, 2015 at 12:15:35 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
The problem with this thought (I am speaking generally not about Face in particular) is what people see as opportunity. We in the West have expectations that were once possible for the majority of people but no longer are. I only need to go back to my parents and most people didn't have a car now one isn't enough for most families.

Things are changing
With technology today, many now work from home
Couples I know, 1 car is enough because many no longer commute by car
I walk upstairs to my home office. That my commute
I work for a gigantic company. We are a Dow Company, we are that big
More and more are working from home
The numbers and percentage are increasing every day.
That is the trend. That is reality.

Quote: kenarman

To own a under 1000 ft2 bungalow was the goal. Now if it isn't a new fully loaded 3000 ft2 home people fell they are disenfranchised. Once a job any job was success now if it doesn't pay $100K a year with full benefits including 10 days of discretionary leave a year they won't stick with it.

I don't make close to 100k and I live quite comfortable.
I am sticking with my job. They got me locked in with 5 weeks vacation
Home owner with a RV.
2 Vegas trips scheduled in December.
Life is good not making anywhere near 100k
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 16th, 2015 at 12:49:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined
Things are changing
With technology today, many now work from home
Couples I know, 1 car is enough because many no longer commute by car
I walk upstairs to my home office. That my commute
I work for a gigantic company. We are a Dow Company, we are that big
More and more are working from home
The numbers and percentage are increasing every day.
That is the trend. That is reality.

I am sticking with my job. They got me locked in with 5 weeks vacation
Home owner with a RV.
2 Vegas trips scheduled in December.

You are what we need more of terapined someone who is happy with their life. So many many aren't happy anymore. It doesn't matter what they have they want more. Some might claim they would be happy "if only" I had what terapined has. My experience is that people who use the "if only" just find another thing to whine about if they get what they were whining about.
November 16th, 2015 at 12:57:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined

I talk with my brother who used to pay over 400k in income taxes. When business started to collapse in 2007 he lost most of his business and dozens of employees. But now he pays over 40k in RENT in Atlanta (no tax deductions for rent). So given 100k it is doubtful if he could make enough money after taxes to cover rent, utilities and food, let alone car payments, or God forgive some discretionary choices.

The range in this country is pretty large. I am sure there are people in Manhattan who make 100k and feel like lower middle class.
November 16th, 2015 at 1:12:10 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin

The range in this country is pretty large. I am sure there are people in Manhattan who make 100k and feel like lower middle class.

I have a supervisor here in Tampa that manages employees in Manhattan.
The employees make more then their supervisor simply due to the cost of living differential pay benefit between the 2 cities.
November 16th, 2015 at 1:28:18 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Pacomartin
I talk with my brother who used to pay over 400k in income taxes. When business started to collapse in 2007 he lost most of his business and dozens of employees. But now he pays over 40k in RENT in Atlanta (no tax deductions for rent). So given 100k it is doubtful if he could make enough money after taxes to cover rent, utilities and food, let alone car payments, or God forgive some discretionary choices.

But this is exactly the problem I am talking about Paco. Your brother had a very nice life style and things changed. Nobody wants to ever take a step back. Your brother may well be living some place well below where he was but there are lots of nice homes in Atlanta for rent for $2000/month and less. It doesn't take $40K a year to keep a roof over your head in Atlanta. Maybe it does in the neighbourhood he wants to live in but that is a lifestyle choice. Not everyone gets to make every life style choice they want. I am not trying to pick on your brother and am sorry that he his business fell so far.
November 16th, 2015 at 3:37:31 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of disenfranchised.

Face is disenfranchised, at least he was for a while. A guy with a good resume, who is willing to work hard, yet has to make ends meet by refereeing. He has a kid, and gets by with a lot less than his skillset shows.

Disenfranchised does not mean dissatisfaction. To me it is an anger because you are not having the life you thought you would have. Part of it is due to an oppression that you feel. Perhaps it is racism, or a lack of opportunity.

I dunno.
November 16th, 2015 at 4:06:26 PM permalink
kenarman
I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of disenfranchised.

Disenfranchised does not mean dissatisfaction. To me it is an anger because you are not having the life you thought you would have. Part of it is due to an oppression that you feel. Perhaps it is racism, or a lack of opportunity.

I dunno.

One of the definitions of disenfranchised is "deprived of power, marginalized" which seems to me to be the one you are using. I have no problem with that use. Where we differ is when you say "you are not having the life you thought you would have". I see this as the problem since everyone has such high expectations now that society can't possibly meet those expectation for everyone. The west once could by and large meet the expectations for most people but the rest of the world has been catching up and there aren't enough resources in the world for that to happen. The rest of the world will not let us eat their lunch anymore.
Page 1 of 212>