Hey evenbob, I have a question for you.

Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »
November 24th, 2015 at 11:27:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
Correct. If you believe in reincarnation, then there must be a transference of souls from one brain to another, and there is no observable mechanism for that to happen. Therefore this is a supernatural phenomena.

Wow, you talk to and pray to a guy that's
been dead for 2000 years and you doubt
something because there is no 'observable
mechanism' for it? Really?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2015 at 11:34:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
Thanks for the link but the thread devolved so quickly I couldn't get much from it.

So watch the videos provided, do a
search on Stevenson and others.
Perform the due diligence and your
questions will be answered. I'm not
an expert on the subject, I'm a
student. And no, if it's part of life,
a natural phenom, it's not 'supernatural'
at all.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2015 at 11:56:39 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
It's a bunch of wish fullfillment. Just like the magical man in the cloud. I want to be special and live forever, and keep existing. For some that gives them peace to get through.

Tough love time: you die, and you end. What was the energy inside you and matter may stay around, but when your dead, it's game over, man, game over. And the only high score table is in the minds of everyone else. And that's a respectable goal to have in life, for me at least.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 24th, 2015 at 12:18:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: TheCesspit

Tough love time: you die, and you end. .

Explain that to the thousands of researched
and vetted and documented cases where
kids remember a past life in such detail,
they can actually go to those places and
verify it's true. Explain to the kids and the
researches that it's not real. Explain to the
kid how he has all these memories of a
past life in such tremendous detail.

Go ahead, try and explain it. You can't. So
the only conclusion is the obvious one. As
the research continues, the evidence is
growing almost daily. Oh well, science is
a bitch when it goes against your beliefs.

It took a year after the Wright Bros flew at
Kitty Hawk for the science community to
acknowledge what they had done. Scientific
American wrote a story called The Lying Brothers,
because nobody believed it was true. Old
beliefs die hard. The German doctor who proved
washing your hands before surgery meant many
fewer cases of disease, was almost laughed out
of the profession. He proved it with actual
science methods, and they still wouldn't believe
it.
November 24th, 2015 at 2:00:32 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I'm not that concerned about reincarnation itself, what I want to know what you think it is that reincarnates. Those guys in the video don't address that issue and they are obviously not materialists so please address the question from a "matter/energy is everything" world view. Do human beings have a material soul or not?
November 24th, 2015 at 3:37:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm not that concerned about reincarnation itself, what I want to know what you think it is that reincarnates. Those guys in the video don't address that issue and they are obviously not materialists so please address the question from a "matter/energy is everything" world view. Do human beings have a material soul or not?

Do the research, come to your own
conclusions.
November 24th, 2015 at 4:25:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I watched the first five minutes of the video in the other thread. In it the man said that there are cases in India and Sri Lanka where young children recounted such specific details of a past life that they were able to put together a location and found the people he remembered existed or were still alive.

I also noticed he said that such cases were more common in places where people believe in reincarnation to begin with. Funny that. As a skeptic, I would attribute this to the lively imaginations of children and adults embellishing the details of these alleged verifications (why is my spell checker flagging that word?) to fit their preconceived beliefs.

Also funny how adults like Shirley McClain who claim to have been reincarnated were also people of historical significant in their past lives and never just some ordinary person. From my perspective, I see the same anecdotal evidence as I do to support religious miracles, aliens, etc..

However, I welcome a change of topic from the usual bashing of Catholicism. EB, the floor is yours to present the evidence in favor of reincarnation, preferably in your own words and not just a bunch of links.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 24th, 2015 at 5:09:33 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
Do the research, come to your own
conclusions.
I'm disappointed to see your not willing or able to dialog on a most interesting subject. I've read a lot of your stuff on both forums and thought someone as verbose as you would be able to respond to a simple question with a probably complex answer. Oh well, I guess you like soft targets, on with the catholic bashing I suppose, but isn't that just a little too easy?
November 24th, 2015 at 5:33:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know whether it can be considered related or not to this, but there used to be a lot more discussion of ESP back a few decades. But science never documented actual ability to transfer thoughts to another human being through that method.

UNLV even used to have a chair for some paranormal studies in the 90s.

We would certainly be using it to interfere in things like the Paris attacks, one would think.

Now we do have some methods to transfer thoughts, but it's still in the realm of science.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2015 at 5:50:58 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'm disappointed to see your not willing or able to dialog on a most interesting subject. I've read a lot of your stuff on both forums and thought someone as verbose as you would be able to respond to a simple question with a probably complex answer. Oh well, I guess you like soft targets, on with the catholic bashing I suppose, but isn't that just a little too easy?

If you do your research and come to conclusions different to bob, you get compared to the backwards people who didn't believe in the Wright brothers.... (shrug).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »