Hey evenbob, I have a question for you.

Page 4 of 11<1234567>Last »
November 24th, 2015 at 7:21:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Good try pew. I was interested in how he was going to answer you but oh well.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 24th, 2015 at 7:48:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I guess no believes we are going to live an afterlife in an office job still not getting answers to big questions, and putting square pegs in round holes. No one wants to hear the real truth.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2015 at 8:21:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I guess no believes we are going to live an afterlife in an office job still not getting answers to big questions, and putting square pegs in round holes. No one wants to hear the real truth.
I'm listening, what do you got?

I am not sure I want to hear the truth as much, as I would like to be at peace with it.

By the truth do you mean, "sooner or later, we all sleep alone"?

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 24th, 2015 at 8:35:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
If you have a
bias, that will usually win out.

Exactly. Those going all the way to India and Sri Lanka I'm sure were biased in favor of reincarnation before they got on the plane.

I'm sure FrG could regale you with stories of modern miracles in the Christian Church. Would you be opened minded to investigate those claims?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 25th, 2015 at 5:39:44 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
That's too bad. I really didn't realize that evenbob was as weak as he has showed himself to be. For all his bluster and commenting on virtually every subject I thought he could handle himself pretty well. Oh well, when the going gets tough...........get out of the kitchen.
November 25th, 2015 at 5:45:31 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
BTW, I'm blocking this stupid thread, so
blather on as long as you like, I won't
see it.
You forgot to mention: WAH WAH WAH I'm taking my ball and going home! You boys play too rough for little me. Blather blather.....
November 25th, 2015 at 7:44:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I don't know whether it can be considered related or not to this, but there used to be a lot more discussion of ESP back a few decades.

Fads change in time. That's what makes them faddish :)

Quote:
But science never documented actual ability to transfer thoughts to another human being through that method.

There is some unconfirmed evidence that people have been transferring thoughts for millennia by means of speech and the written word (she said with a straight face). Some scientists speculate the same process might be involved in body-language gestures and some forms of representational art and symbolism (she added).

Larry Niven was caught up in this fad, populating his earlier stories with telepaths, telekinetics, empaths and more. Well done, for the most part. Later he issued his dictum that "Psi powers, if real, are completely useless." The reasoning is that if some people can really read minds, move objects, influence thoughts, predict the future, etc. they don't seem to be doing much with such skills past sideshow carnival acts and pandering to the gullible.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 25th, 2015 at 7:54:34 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Wow, you talk to and pray to a guy that's
been dead for 2000 years and you doubt
something because there is no 'observable
mechanism' for it? Really?

No I am saying that like God, your idea of reincarnation is a supernatural phenomena.
November 25th, 2015 at 8:31:37 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
LOL. I just finished reading the thread where EB doesn't want to openly express his beliefs and his thoughts behind his opinions. I think Nareed, FR and others are willingly wanting to openly express their beliefs and be open to criticism of said beliefs.

The biggest question I have is the same as everyone else's. He has stated over and over that there is no proof for God, yet he accepts an unknown mechanism for reincarnation as truth based on studies by Tucker and Stevenson at the University of Virginia.

The Wizard offered the greatest criticism, that people in the Hindu community that believe in reincarnation, a spiritual belief, are the only people who are having memories of a previous life. This lends an explanation to bias, and more than likely that the professors are staging a hoax to make money, you know, like the climate scientists.

My question to EB is "why accept the beliefs and studies of a couple of scientists as being true yet reject the concept of God?" Even the authors of the study state that the reincarnated lives takes years to transfer themselves into a new owner. Where are these souls stored? How does the transference happen? Why do the souls stay local? Why do some souls reincarnate while others don't? There are no answers to any of this, yet you still strongly believe in this concept?

Yet you vehemently oppose the existence of any supernatural being.
November 25th, 2015 at 12:34:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
The biggest question I have is the same as everyone else's. He has stated over and over that there is no proof for God, yet he accepts an unknown mechanism for reincarnation as truth based on studies by Tucker and Stevenson at the University of Virginia.

Evidence is evidence, regardless of what it's evidence of.

However, such evidence as there is for reincarnation is mostly anecdotal and rather flawed. And for some reason no one recalls being a poor peasant barely eking out a living. I find this amazing, as the vast majority of Earth's population from the dawn of agriculture until fairly recently were poor peasants. Odds are most people capable of recalling "past life" memories would have been poor peasants.

What's needed is tangible proof. There are many objects, places, buildings and even cities we think existed in the past and are now lost. Some of these might have survived, but are buried, hidden or their location was uncertain to begin with. If someone remembering a past life could pint-point one of these things, then I'd take a serious and very long look at it.

Besides, it may be the best chance of finding Alexander's sarcophagus.

I don't rule out the possibility of an after life, but it's one of the most incredibly unlikely things I can think of. A star made of solid gold (and still fusing something), shaped like a harp and capable of singing Broadway tunes, living in retirement in the Jovian Red Spot would surprise me far less.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 11<1234567>Last »