refusing to accept cash

August 24th, 2018 at 12:12:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: JimRockford
A growing number of the food trucks around here don't take cash. I don't like it but I get it, faster service, safer for employees. However when they can't provide a printed receipt, I'm never going back. I should be able to buy a bowl of noodles without giving up my phone number or email address.

So I assume your phone number or email address is just to get a receipt. Why do you need a receipt? Just to dispute errors?
August 24th, 2018 at 1:15:12 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
So I assume your phone number or email address is just to get a receipt. Why do you need a receipt? Just to dispute errors?

I keep CC receipts for the month and use them to verify the accuracy of my CC statement. I always lose track of a few, but I keep as many as possible.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 24th, 2018 at 1:19:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I keep CC receipts for the month and use them to verify the accuracy of my CC statement. I always lose track of a few, but I keep as many as possible.

My dad would spend hours doing that. I just give a glance.
The President is a fink.
August 24th, 2018 at 1:40:12 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
My dad would spend hours doing that. I just give a glance.

To be honest, Mrs. Rockford does the household accounting. She has her methods and I don't dispute them. I'm grateful she likes to do it.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 24th, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
To be honest, Mrs. Rockford does the household accounting. She has her methods and I don't dispute them. I'm grateful she likes to do it.

I just shook my head but then again it was about his only hobby. Most of my bills get autopaid. I will be on the news one day found dead after years in my house because all my bills took care of themselves and nobody missed me.
The President is a fink.
August 24th, 2018 at 2:31:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin

In June, PayPal introduced a no fee debit card with the Master Card logo. It takes care of two situations.

(1) Debit cards directly linked to you checking account. In the event of fraud your checking or even you savings account can be drained if you have overdraft protection. For this reason many people don't use these cards.

(2) Huge fraudulent charges on your credit card that can be disputed but may take a while to resolve and cause you annoyance like tearing up your credit card and tying up your line of credit.

The advantage of this system is you only load your PayPal account with enough cash to cover some routine expenses (in this case perhaps $100 to cover lunches).
The debit card with Master Card logo draws direct from the PayPal account and cannot go over the amount you have in the account. This limits the damage from any fraud.
August 25th, 2018 at 6:50:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I just shook my head but then again it was about his only hobby. Most of my bills get autopaid. I will be on the news one day found dead after years in my house because all my bills took care of themselves and nobody missed me.

Wow, you must have lots of money in your account (or very small bills).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 25th, 2018 at 8:25:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
Nobody has very small bills.
August 25th, 2018 at 9:05:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich

All you need is a source of income and bills lower than that. Say you have SS and a personal account you draw money from. Monthly it would be less in than out. It would likely end when your property tax did not show for a few months.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2018 at 2:23:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The new Europa €100 and €200 were unveiled on 17 September 2018 and will start circulating on 28 May 2019. They will complete the issuance of the Europa series.The ECB has decided to stop producing the €500 banknote, although the first series €500 remains legal tender.

The notes of the first series €500 banknote in circulation (~500 million) should gradually dwindle as they are deposited in commercial banks which will send them to the ECB to be destroyed. They are expensive to keep as souvenirs, and they may become harder and harder to spend as they become increasingly unfamiliar. The 1928 and 1934 series of US$500 banknotes are still legal tender and roughly 7% of the production quantity (~4 million) remains in souvenir collections and usually sell for more than face value. It is not expected that the ECB will declare a date when the old notes are no longer legal tender.

A total of 553 million €200 original series banknotes were produced from the preparation of the introduction of the Euro in 2002 through 2014. No notes were produced for in 2015 and 2016. The €200 note was never as popular as the €500 or the €100 as it didn't seem to provide much utility. The €500 note circulates at twice as many as €200 , and the €100 note is 10X as common as the €200 note.

As there will be no €500 Europe note, roughly a billion €200 Europa banknotes have been produced in less than 2 years to fill the gap.

How many people expect to see the money laundering activity severely incapacitated by having to deal with €200 banknotes instead of €500 banknotes?

Do you expect this trend to continue, so that when the Europa series is replaced, the largest banknote will be the €100, or do you think USA will issue a $200 banknote?