Are Men Avoiding Women

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
December 9th, 2015 at 3:24:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
I don't believe it is a conscious decision by the young people. I am totally blaming it in television and technology. Young people just don't socialize outside their immediate group of friends anymore. Yound people are no longer going to the bowling ally's, skating rinks, etc. where they will have contact with people they haven't met before. They all play video games at home and watch Netflix and Youtube.
I'm not sure how much this Bowling Alone rather than Bowling in Leagues is valid. Some women used not to date... they just went out with friends and eventually some male bored his way to the inner circle and gained her attention. Some women used to do the 'dinner and a movie' first and some time the Third Date rule applied.

Trends change.

Young girls often have their own zero population growth goals. Some girls gleefully pose with their negative test results each month. They are still looking for Mr. Right or at least Mr. Much Better. Some girls defer not only kids but also husbands. Wet diapers are not really desirable goals but avoidance of poverty is desirable. No longer is marriage necessary and for many its no longer desirable unless its a mutated form that is more amenable to modern economics and modern views of "straying spouses".
December 9th, 2015 at 11:16:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
What is your opinion here? Slow and steady or parabolic down similar to up?

Slow and steady downward.

However, I don't rule out some kind of pandemic or world war that kills off the vast majority of the population. Then again, maybe I watch too many science fiction movies.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 9th, 2015 at 4:09:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Slow and steady downward.

However, I don't rule out some kind of pandemic or world war that kills off the vast majority of the population. Then again, maybe I watch too many science fiction movies.

Is there an actuarial reason here? Reason I ask is I am in the opposite camp and think the trend will be parabolic down similar to up. My reasoning is twofold. First, so much travels parabolic in nature as well even financially. Second, and maybe this is the same as the first, is that if you figure natural reproduction it should follow your parents by about 20-25 years in most places. Kind of an "echo" like the "echo boomer" term once used for Gen Y.

Am I thinking right?
The President is a fink.
December 9th, 2015 at 5:08:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Population growth has been more exponential than parabolic. So, actually, I think it will be exponential downward, but slow. Assuming a fertility rate of 1.8, the world population will decrease 10% every generation. That is manageable.

Then again, this will all happen long after I'm gone, so I don't really care.
December 10th, 2015 at 3:01:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Population growth has been more exponential than parabolic. So, actually, I think it will be exponential downward, but slow. Assuming a fertility rate of 1.8, the world population will decrease 10% every generation. That is manageable.

Then again, this will all happen long after I'm gone, so I don't really care.

OK, that makes much sense. Thanks for the math-answer. I wasn't thinking there was much difference in the terms.
The President is a fink.
December 12th, 2015 at 10:20:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
December 13th, 2015 at 12:49:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One line caught my eye in some of the commentary.

Quote:
The new rules men are expected to live by are never clearly explained

That concept is older than I am. (I also came across a few random odd or interesting quotes which I included)

"Women are made to be loved not understood" - Oscar Wilde

"I'm supposed to have a Ph.D. on the subject of women. But the truth is I've flunked more often than not. I'm very fond of women; I admire them. But, like all men, I don't understand them." -Frank Sinatra

"Women, can't live with them, can't live without them." Desiderius Erasmus

"No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree." W. C. Fields

"The only really happy folk are married women and single men." H. L. Mencken

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Men should only believe half of what women say. But which half?" -Jean Giraudoux

"With women, I've got a long bamboo pole with a leather loop on the end. I slip the loop around their necks so they can't get away or come too close. Like catching snakes." - Marlon Brando

"While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve. I'm no better than anyone else at understanding what makes people tick, particularly women." --Stephen Hawking

"Women priests. Great, great. Now there's priests of both sexes I don't listen to." -Bill Hicks

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, and the women come out to cut up what remains, jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your gawd like a soldier." -Rudyard Kipling

"Women now have choices. They can be married, not married, have a job, not have a job, be married with children, unmarried with children. Men have the same choice we've always had: work, or prison." -Tim Allen

"You know, men and women are a lot alike in certain situations. Like when they're both on fire - they're exactly alike." -Dave Attell
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 13th, 2015 at 1:10:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
One line caught my eye in some of the commentary.
That concept is older than I am. (I also came across a few random odd or interesting quotes which I included)

Stunningly good quotes, I loved all of them.
You forgot the most famous. Freud said at
the end of his life, after studying women
for decades, "What does a woman really
want."

That's the real question. What they want
can change almost daily. So the answer
is, we can't take them seriously. Any man
who has lived with a woman for decades
knows this. They live by their emotions,
they are off their rocker logically, live
with it. Trying to figure them out is a
waste of time. So don't bother.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 13th, 2015 at 8:22:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
"What does a woman really
want."

I've never been accused of knowing a damn thing about women. That said, I've come to the opinion that what women want is pretty much the opposite of what women say women want. They will say that women want a man who will listen to them, go shopping with them, cook for them, make them tea, clean, cuddle, and leave the toilet seat down. However, if they encounter such a guy they will walk all over him for three to six months and then dump him for a tattooed drummer. If you can get a woman to answer the question honesty about what she really wants, it is almost always powerful alpha male types. The name Tony Soprano seems to come up a lot.

Hopefully BBB won't read this -- who know how many push-ups I'll owe.
December 13th, 2015 at 9:06:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
That said, I've come to the opinion that what women want is pretty much the opposite of what women say women want.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/men-battle_of_the_sexes-gender_battles-relationship_book-book_title-gender_difference-rmon2578_low.jpg
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »