1 million refugees in Germany

December 9th, 2015 at 5:03:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Dalex64
Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, is Time Magazine person of the year.

Congratulations to Angela. Glad I didn't bet on it -- as I would have bet on Trump.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 9th, 2015 at 5:12:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
That doesn't make them right handed.

It makes them ambidextrous. The Bible vilifies
the left hand in many places, and because
everything in the Bible is direct from the mouth
of god, left handers had to be persecuted.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2015 at 5:23:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
It makes them ambidextrous.

I disagree. It just means they learned to use their left hand better but the brain is still wired to prefer the right side. If I lost my right hand in an accident and learned to cope with my left hand, I would still be right handed.
December 9th, 2015 at 5:29:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I disagree. It just means they learned to use their left hand better but the brain is still wired to prefer the right side. If I lost my right hand in an accident and learned to cope with my left hand, I would still be right handed.

I know somebody who was lefthanded and
forced to be righthanded and considers
himself ambi. He plays with left handed
gold clubs and throws a baseball with his
right. He writes with either hand. He pounds
nails with either hand.

I was an artist in HS. I had my arm in a cast
for six weeks and taught myself to draw with
my left, and it was better than usual because
I was more careful.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2015 at 6:40:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Well, I don't know what else to say on this topic. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
December 9th, 2015 at 11:11:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
He plays with left handed gold clubs and throws a baseball with his right. He writes with either hand. He pounds nails with either hand.

Cross-dominance is not as unusual as many people think, roughly 1 in 3 people favor different hands for different activities. True ambidexterity where any and all activities can be done equally well with either hand is, as you can imagine, very rare.

Bob Dole, who injured his right hand in WWII, is considered "naturally right handed" even though he has done most things with his left hand for decades.

dexterity (n.) 1520s, from Middle French dexterité (16c.), from Latin dexteritatem "readiness, skillfulness, prosperity," from dexter "skillful," also "right (hand)"
December 10th, 2015 at 6:18:15 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Isn't your dominance to use one hand over another skill-based?

I'm left-handed writing. I have to use scissors from my right hand. I can catch either-handed, can throw either handed. I golf, play hockey, and bat right. I hammer left.
December 10th, 2015 at 9:01:26 AM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: Dalex64
Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, is Time Magazine person of the year.

Oh well, I don't know what to think.

I never liked her as Chancellor, she is repsonsible for some terrible policies and decisions. Also, the role Germany played in the Greek debt crisis is certainly not commendable imho.

But now she is managing the refugee wave well. She really put herself out there and was ready to accept a lot of political damage to herself from the right fringe of her party. Something she never used to do.

So, for the refugee part, congrats Angela. Greece, hell no.
December 10th, 2015 at 9:02:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
Isn't your dominance to use one hand over another skill-based?

That is what I called "cross-dominance" where you prefer different hands for different skills. About 1 in 3 people are cross dominant. Truly ambidextrous people who can do anything equally with either hand is very rare.

Studied of fetuses in utero have determined that handedness in the womb was a very accurate predictor of handedness after birth.

In most people verbal/handiwork processing is done in one hemisphere and visuospatial processing is done in the opposite hemisphere. For most people the verbal/handiwork hemisphere is the left one which controls the right side of the body.
December 10th, 2015 at 11:26:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Canyonero
Also, the role Germany played in the Greek debt crisis is certainly not commendable imho.

Can you expand on that? Seems to me that Greece needed some tough love to live within their means.