Neo-monophysitism

December 13th, 2015 at 11:21:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I wonder where you got that quote. I suggest you look to the Catechism to discover the true reality of Original Sin.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2015 at 12:14:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I wonder where you got that quote. I suggest you look to the Catechism to discover the true reality of Original Sin.

"Original sin is a moral and spiritual corruption. It could be compared to the Reformed Doctrine of Total Depravity which states that sin has touched all parts of what a person is: heart, mind, soul, will, thoughts, desires."

Lets break it down. 'moral and spiritual corruption'. We're
'broken', you say it constantly. Because of OS, humanity is
broken.

Doctrine of Total Depravity

"Total depravity (also called radical corruption, or pervasive depravity) is a theological doctrine derived from the Augustinian concept of original sin. It is the teaching that, as a consequence of the Fall of Man, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin."

Augustine is a Catholic saint, is he not? Original sin
does indeed make humanity filthy in the eyes of god.

Do you dent that?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2015 at 6:22:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
We can't control the earth and make plants grow

Have you ever seen a farm?

Have you ever seen a farm on reclaimed desert land?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 14th, 2015 at 7:01:33 AM permalink
FrGamble
Oh come on, I meant without effort as before the fall.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2015 at 7:04:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Oh come on, I meant without effort as before the fall.

I can prove the existence of farms, and gardens, and parks, and even potted plants.

Can you prove "the fall"? Is there any indication crops grew in profusion somewhere in Africa without any human tending? Are these rhetorical questions?
December 14th, 2015 at 11:12:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
So god says "one of us" - us who? The other gods? The other creators? The other aliens?

The other gods, of course.

Remember two things: 1) thee are the myths of primitive desert tribes and 2) they're derived from oral traditions, which are particularly prone to distortions, and influenced by their neighbors and the great powers of the day.

Polytheism being the order of the day, it's likely the ancient Hebrews had a pantheon like everyone else. How they drifted onto monotheism isn't clear. perhaps due to influences from Akhenaton's short-lived heretical reign in Egypt, though that seems unlikely. In any case, it must have been shortly before the myths were set down on "paper" (vellum, perhaps papyrus?). Some errors crept in, like Jehovah saying "us," rather than "me." I think the first commandment, which forbids the tribes of Israel from having "other gods," supports this interpretation.

Quote:
We also learn from genesis that man is to lord over all things on earth, including women.
[..]

It looks like god did not oppose multiple wives.

These two are related, and it's a feature rather than a bug. It's also rather very, very misogynistic.
December 14th, 2015 at 4:43:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
The other gods, of course.

Remember two things: 1) thee are the myths of primitive desert tribes and 2) they're derived from oral traditions, which are particularly prone to distortions, and influenced by their neighbors and the great powers of the day.

Polytheism being the order of the day, it's likely the ancient Hebrews had a pantheon like everyone else. How they drifted onto monotheism isn't clear. perhaps due to influences from Akhenaton's short-lived heretical reign in Egypt, though that seems unlikely. In any case, it must have been shortly before the myths were set down on "paper" (vellum, perhaps papyrus?). Some errors crept in, like Jehovah saying "us," rather than "me." I think the first commandment, which forbids the tribes of Israel from having "other gods," supports this interpretation.

Come on, are you saying that polytheism is at the heart of the foundations of Judaism? In regards to the commandment why wouldn't the one true God use the language that the culture would recognize by saying, "have no other gods"?
December 14th, 2015 at 4:45:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Do you dent that?

The fact that Augustine is a saint is the only think I don't deny in your entire post. Where are you getting your misinformation?
December 14th, 2015 at 5:02:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The fact that Augustine is a saint is the only think I don't deny in your entire post. Where are you getting your misinformation?

Different places, what's the difference. It's
all wrong to you, which actually means it's 100%
right info.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2015 at 5:30:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Interesting theory. Forgive me if I don't trust your sources until you reveal where they are from. Why not try the Catechism of the Catholic Church?