If you ask me what you're holding in
your hand and your hand is empty,
and I say 'you're holding nothing',
you can't tell me to quit pretending I
see nothing in your hand. I'm not
pretending. Just because you think
you see something doesn't mean
it's really there.

Wouldn't there be evidence that you could show me that my hand is indeed empty? You could for example point to everyone else around me who also do not see anything in my hand. You could shake my hand and show me there was nothing there or put something else in my hand to show me that there is nothing there. There is lots of reasonable evidence one could point to in order to show that there was nothing in your hand.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2015 at 10:22:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Wouldn't there be evidence that you could show me that my hand is indeed empty?

Not if you thought it was supernatural. If
it's supernatural to you, there's no way
for me to convince you it's not there. And
there's no way for you to prove it's real
to me.

If there was a god, it's for him to show himself
to me, not for you to be the middleman.
That's not very godlike, it's very chickenshit.
You think he showed himself to you, what
am I, chopped liver?

I'm not holding my breath, there is no god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2015 at 10:52:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Wouldn't there be evidence that you could show me that my hand is indeed empty?
But we know your hand is not empty, and science can prove it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 15th, 2015 at 6:37:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Come on, are you saying that polytheism is at the heart of the foundations of Judaism?

Of course.

Quote:
In regards to the commandment why wouldn't the one true God use the language that the culture would recognize by saying, "have no other gods"?

Why not bring up "false gods"?

In that same book, Pharaoh's magicians perform miracles just like Jehovah, only the Hebrew chief deity does them better. The ritual practices of prayer and animal sacrifices were pretty much the same as for other religions at the time. Ancient synagogues have been found to contain depictions of other gods.

I said all of Western civilization arises from the pagan civilizations that preceded the rise of Christianity. This applies to the entirety of Western civilization, which definitively includes religion. Why would you expect it to be any different?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 15th, 2015 at 8:20:08 AM permalink
Nareed
In all things which evolve or develop, there's a tendency to look at the various stages and point to where it was always heading inexorably to a definitive, "correct" destination. Usually this involves major logic-chopping and the twisting of facts into tortured shapes. All to "prove" that "it was always so."

One valuable facet of science, is that we get to see the blind alleys, wrong paths and mistaken assumptions exactly for what they are. While the Michelson-Morley experiment was very valuable, we can also see it would never be able to detect what it was meant to detect, for example. That's because no amount of rationalization or twisting of facts can alter demonstrable evidence.

Unlike science, philosophy, ethics and in particular religion have no hard and fast, "right" answers.
December 15th, 2015 at 8:51:37 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Not if you thought it was supernatural. If
it's supernatural to you, there's no way
for me to convince you it's not there. And
there's no way for you to prove it's real
to me.

Sure there is, it is called reason. If your hand is empty and you claim there is some invisible supernatural reality there then we can ask why is it there and can its effects be noticed or in some way? If not than we can conclude it is not really there or even if it was it is of no consequence and can be ignored.

Quote:
If there was a god, it's for him to show himself
to me, not for you to be the middleman.

You think he showed himself to you, what
am I, chopped liver?

God knows that we often need middlemen, people to make Him know in ways we can easier understand and recognize. Hence the incarnation of Jesus Christ. Believe me when I tell you that He is CONSTANTLY trying to show Himself to you, CONSTANTLY loving you, and wants DESPERATELY to be a part of your life. You are infinitely important to Him as He has uniquely created you. Open your mind and heart to Him instead of closing it off with the ridiculous belief there is no God and I can guarantee you that He will show Himself to you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 15th, 2015 at 8:53:29 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
But we know your hand is not empty, and science can prove it.

Exactly, science can prove there is nothing physically present and reason, logic, and experience can show us there is nothing spiritually present.
December 15th, 2015 at 9:14:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Believe me when I tell you that He is CONSTANTLY trying to show Himself to you, CONSTANTLY loving you, and wants DESPERATELY to be a part of your life.

That sounds more like a needy, passive-aggressive person(*) than an all-powerful, all-knowing deity.

(*) Not the term I really want to use.
December 15th, 2015 at 10:43:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
It is amazing that the all-powerful God of the universe loves us so very much.
December 15th, 2015 at 10:47:14 AM permalink
Nareed
It is amazing that the all-powerful God of the universe loves us so very much.

If Job is any indication, you're better off escaping his notice.

If Job's wife and children are any indication, it's kill or be killed.