Prayer=Magical Thinking

Page 3 of 3<123
December 12th, 2015 at 2:16:18 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I have best friends who I've known all of my life, good friends who I hang around with often, friends, and acquaintances. I don't have a category between acquaintances and friends. Are there additional categories that I should adhere to. Is there a more stringent definition that I should follow? Please, oh internet scribes, tell me.

Quote: Evenbob
But I do have common sense.

Yep, you do. Just like when you swore that Romney would win the 2012 election, or that reincarnation is a fact, or that your betting system wins on an unwinnable game of 00 roulette and its 5.26% house advantage. The common sense to marry the daughter of a baptist minister even though you're an athiest yet believes there is some magical way a soul can transfer into another body years after death. Common sense to press return on your keyboard every forty characters to make your texts seem more thoughtful and longer than they are. Common sense to believe anecdotal evidence over statistics. Common sense to watch FoxNews all day and declare it as the truth even though its entire news programming follows the editorial belief of one man.

You can attack religion all you want. FrGamble lives for this crap and it is his mission and duty to evangelize. As for me, I understand that any belief in anything unscientific is by definition delusional. I understand that my belief is one of faith only and it makes absolutely no sense to some people. I cannot defend it in any scientific way. I know this.

You don't know what my role at my church is, but I am not just an "attendee". Perhaps I am more attuned to the spiritual life of the membership at my church than you think. That said, our team teaches the congregation (and has taught for many years) not just to pray (because prayers also require action) but to take action. Hence my comment. I don't know the intense spiritual life of 200 friends. I know that they believe what they are taught which is that prayer is the first step. I have never heard any one of them equating their prayer life as "expecting magic".

I will admit however, that prayer does give hope to people and hope that God will intervene through pushing others into action. God really cannot work in any other way, after all. I don't think there is anyone who has seen the laws of physics be broken before their eyes. Of course people who believe in a deity also believe that they have a personal relationship with God. If you want to call that "magic", fine.
December 12th, 2015 at 3:06:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
RIP John Trudell, "“John Trudell passed away today, December 8, 2015, at his home, surrounded by his family and friends. He entered this dimensional reality on February 15, 1946, and now he has left this dimensional reality." A.I.M activist

John Trudell on the Christian world view https://youtu.be/GhpYEvZ-Oz4 The church's changed the perception of earth from mother, to property that needed to be possessed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 12th, 2015 at 3:14:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
also believe that they have a personal relationship with God. If you want to call that "magic", fine.

It's not magic, it's not anything. It's
self delusion, wishful thinking. You
believe as you do because you have
no choice. You were brought up that
way and don't know any better, or
have trapped yourself into having to
remain where you are.

It doesn't matter, it's something to do
while you're here, and then you can
come back and probably do it all over
again.

Boring..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 3<123