Tom Watson

December 14th, 2012 at 6:31:01 AM permalink
midwestgb
Threads: 2
Tom Watson was just appointed this week to a second term as Ryder Cup Captain. Tom is flat out a hero to us Kansas Citians. Probably our most famous native pro athlete.

If you are a golfer, you likely recall Tom's success at the British Open in 2009. One shot away from being the oldest Major champ in modern history!
December 14th, 2012 at 8:15:30 AM permalink
DocZZZ
Threads: 0
Quote: midwestgb
Tom Watson was just appointed this week to a second term as Ryder Cup Captain. Tom is flat out a hero to us Kansas Citians. Probably our most famous native pro athlete.

If you are a golfer, you likely recall Tom's success at the British Open in 2009. One shot away from being the oldest Major champ in modern history!

I watched that event. I thought that had he won that event at age 60, it would have been the most remarkable sporting accomplishment of ALL TIME.
December 14th, 2012 at 8:54:43 AM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
Watson- might be the best ball striker to ever pick up a golf club.

The '09 British Open (final round) is one of those events where you remember
where you were when it happened. Wish he would have won the damn thing!
December 14th, 2012 at 2:46:40 PM permalink
midwestgb
Threads: 2
Funny thing about the '09 British Open. I later on had the thought that IF TOM HAD WON the thing after all, it might have diminished the game of pro golf for some casual fans.... after all, to have had a fellow that age win a major tour event would have inevitably lead some to criticize the game as being too easy, too simple, etc etc.

Not true of course. His feat that weekend was astounding. Here is a neat further tidbit on Tom that my son just sent along to me today btw...

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2012/12/captain-watson.html