Other Than Mars Thread

Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »
February 22nd, 2016 at 12:03:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Music" on the dark side of the moon?

Apollo 10 astronauts discussed whether or not to report a "whistling" song heard on their 1 hour pass of the dark side of the moon.

Criminy... Pink Floyd were aliens!
February 22nd, 2016 at 12:33:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Remarkable that an entire article could be written without saying that there is no sound in space. Yeah, I know, and you know, that they heard something strange apparently being transmitted on their frequency. Still, pretty bad for the article not to explain that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 19th, 2016 at 12:21:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It's a planet the size of Jupiter 100 light years away. Notice how much closer it comes to its sun compared to our Mercury. Talk about a weenie roast or clam bake.

http://www.astrobio.net/topic/deep-space/new-planets/eccentric-planet-known-flashes-astronomers-reflected-light/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 19th, 2016 at 1:00:27 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
It's a planet the size of Jupiter 100 light years away. Notice how much closer it comes to its sun compared to our Mercury. Talk about a weenie roast or clam bake.

http://www.astrobio.net/topic/deep-space/new-planets/eccentric-planet-known-flashes-astronomers-reflected-light/

The scientists finding planets in other solar systems are finding a lot of these. They must be the easiest to find by the only method available, which is to note the dimming of the star as the planet passes -unless they are looking also for these flashes mentioned in the article. There seems to be no claim that "easier to find" is why they are finding so many, however, at least that's my impression. Such a planet screws everything up for possible planet in the goldilocks zone, I believe.
March 20th, 2016 at 9:44:16 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: odiousgambit

The scientists finding planets in other solar systems are finding a lot of these. They must be the easiest to find by the only method available, which is to note the dimming of the star as the planet passes -unless they are looking also for these flashes mentioned in the article. There seems to be no claim that "easier to find" is why they are finding so many, however, at least that's my impression. Such a planet screws everything up for possible planet in the goldilocks zone, I believe.

Go, Hubble, Go! I still get goosebumps looking at their images.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 6th, 2016 at 4:34:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: wsj article
Moon Express illustrates how dramatically costs to build and launch small spacecraft are falling. When the company was formed around the beginning of the decade, it projected a moon mission would cost roughly $50 million. Today, company officials project a price tag of around half that amount.

If they eventually send tourists, they may be the first US manned venture to leave low earth orbit after 4 decades - 5 probably by then, unless this Mars thing finally gets off the ground.

http://www.moonexpress.com/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3627058/Feds-approve-private-moon-mission-Historic-pave-way-send-tourists-lunar-surface.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-set-to-approve-moon-mission-by-commercial-space-venture-1465166277?cb=logged0.7285645983231793
June 6th, 2016 at 10:17:44 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
I know that it is illegal for private individuals to own moon rocks brought back by the Apollo missions, and I think there was some U.N. legislation preventing signatories from commercially exploiting it's resources. Does this mean that if I go to the Moon, I can't bring back "souvenirs"? It would be cool to have the Moon buggy, or the flag Neil Armstrong left there in my backyard.

June 6th, 2016 at 12:39:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
They'll let you have some new rocks. Don't think they'll let people run off with historical artifacts. Probably erect a bubble over it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2016 at 12:56:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
Does this mean that if I go to the Moon, I can't bring back "souvenirs"? It would be cool to have the Moon buggy, or the flag Neil Armstrong left there in my backyard.

There's a very good case to be made that you'd be stealing US government property.

You may have better luck stealing the commemorative plaque left at the Apollo XI site. It states the astronauts came in peace for all mankind. Presumably, that's the collective property of the entire world :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 6th, 2016 at 1:19:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
They'll let you have some new rocks. Don't think they'll let people run off with historical artifacts. Probably erect a bubble over it.

It could be considered "abandoned" property available for salvage. I think about it like "finding" a sunken Spanish galleon. It's not like Spain still has a claim to the gold coins in the hold....

I seem to recall a TV series or made for TV movie based on this premise with Andy Griffith as a "junkman" who builds a rocket in his backyard to salvage stuff from space.
Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »