Other Than Mars Thread

Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>
December 17th, 2021 at 9:55:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
James Webb telescope will launch into space in just 5 days.

I think it's one of the most significant science events of a decade. If the rocket blows up or telescope fails to operate, it will be one of the biggest science disappointments of the decade..

Or the mirror is out of focus!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 17th, 2021 at 11:31:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
Or the mirror is out of focus!

That would never happen. LOL
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 1st, 2022 at 12:56:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some groundbreaking discovery to be announced May 12 about the Milky Way from the Event Horizon Telescope operation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 1st, 2022 at 10:31:24 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Some groundbreaking discovery to be announced May 12 about the Milky Way from the Event Horizon Telescope operation.

I read about that: the telescope detected something unusual.

Looks like hundreds of round objects, under power, heading toward earth at great speed.

Nothing to fear however: truth social reports they're the final chapter of MAGA.
August 16th, 2023 at 5:07:19 AM permalink
rxwine
article from -New Scientist

Quote:
idea put forward by researchers in a new paper, suggesting life on low-oxygen exoplanets would not be able to generate combustion – a vital step in the development of technology.

‘You may have enough oxygen in the atmosphere of an exoplanet to have complex multicellular life, but you may not have enough oxygen to start combustion,’ said co-author Professor Amedeo Blabi, speaking to New Scientist.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 16th, 2023 at 10:47:45 AM permalink
DRich
article from -New Scientist

Ridiculous. Just because we only know how to create combustion with oxygen doesn't mean that there are not other ways.
August 16th, 2023 at 10:57:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
Ridiculous. Just because we only know how to create combustion with oxygen doesn't mean that there are not other ways.

Drich, that's a terribly overused and far too universal objection. Just because we can't find a god, doesn't mean he doesn't exist somewhere. You can apply it to anything to create an argument for Leprechauns or why we don't see Drich's private jet anywhere. Because it's always wherever we're not looking.

(of course Leprechauns do exist, or how would I have this pot of gold)
August 16th, 2023 at 11:18:57 AM permalink
DRich
Drich, that's a terribly overused and far too universal objection. Just because we can't find a god, doesn't mean he doesn't exist somewhere. You can apply it to anything to create an argument for Leprechauns or why we don't see Drich's private jet anywhere. Because it's always wherever we're not looking.

(of course Leprechauns do exist, or how would I have this pot of gold)

My point is that we tend to think that we know everything when in reality I doubt if we know 1%. Besides, you can't see my private jet because it is stealth.
October 16th, 2023 at 12:24:08 PM permalink
rxwine
NASA is visiting an asteroid in our solar system worth more than the entire world economy,
October 16th, 2023 at 2:09:05 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
NASA is visiting an asteroid in our solar system worth more than the entire world economy,

Hmm...

Must be filled with metals.

I know: put a bunch of retro rockets on it and change its course to earth; prior to impact use the rockets to slow its speed down drastically, and let it land out in the middle of Wyoming or someplace where we can mine it easily.

Ka-ching.
Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>