People accepted it immediately because
everyone in a big city, where most of
the TV's were, knew people married to
other races. I Love Lucy is still shown
around the world every day. I wonder
if CBS even knows how much money
they've made from it in the last 70 or
so years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2019 at 3:37:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

People accepted it immediately because
everyone in a big city, where most of
the TV's were, knew people married to
other races.

I don't buy that. This was a huge thing in the 1950s. Back then you rarely married outside your religion or ethnicity. Some of that was stronger than others, Italians kept closer than Germans for example. In some cities you dated a girl of a different race at considerable peril.
The President is a fink.
February 9th, 2019 at 7:41:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Pacomartin
EB pointed out that there are now over 400 scripted shows on TV.

In the 3+ years since this thread started, there are now roughly 500 scripted shows if you count streaming channels like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Obviously, some are 10 or 12 episodes instead of 20-24 episodes.

Actors like Patrick Warburton who turned the voice that made him famous in 10 episodes of Seinfeld into a career, can almost work as much as they want.

February 9th, 2019 at 9:40:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
In the 3+ years since this thread started, there are now roughly 500 scripted shows]

And 476 of them are crap.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2019 at 2:35:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
And 476 of them are crap.

A lot of people think we are in the golden age of television viewing. TV shows have supplanted movies for the most part for thoughtful story telling. Maybe 400 are crap, but there are probably 100 good ones.

Alienist, The
Americans The
Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, The
Atlanta
Barry

Bodyguard
Dirty John
Escape at Dannemora
Genius: Picasso
GLOW

Good Place, The
Handmaid's Tale, The
Homecoming
Kidding
Killing Eve

Kominsky Method, The
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The
Murphy Brown
Outlander
Ozark

Pose
Patrick Melrose
Seven Seconds
Sharp Objects
Succession

Tale, The
Very English Scandal, A
Will & Grace
Who is America?
Westworld

Killing Eve is a top notch thriller.
February 10th, 2019 at 4:06:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Killing Eve is a top notch thriller.

I've had my eye on this show for awhile
Been planning to switch services.
You just convinced me to end Netflix and start Hulu so I can watch this show
Thanks
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 10th, 2019 at 4:47:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin

The show specializes in snappy dialogue.

These snippets are not spoilers as they reveal nothing about the plot

Villanelle: You should never call a psychopath a psychopath. It upsets them.
Villanelle: You intimidating, by the way. It’s just rude.
Villanelle: It’s going to be hard to trust me again, but I will prove myself to you. I promise.
Villanelle: You should really ask before you touch a person.
Villanelle: People think that your soul or personality or whatever leaves the body when you die. I swear it just goes further in.
Villanelle: I’m going to kill you nicely. But then I’m going to make a mess of your body afterward so it looks worse than it is.
Villanelle: Letting yourself into my apartment and drinking from a tiny cup doesn’t make you intimidating, by the way. It’s just rude.
Villanelle: Can we get one thing clear before we go one with this? Is that a sweater attached to a shirt? Is it two separate pieces? How does it work?
Villanelle: Okay, we can fight. But you will get tired, and I will get bored, and you don’t like it when I’m bored. If I kill you, they will just send me another one.

Eve Polastri : I believe there is a female assassin operating internationally and she’s targeted a number of influential people. She doesn’t have a signature, but she certainly has style and I don’t know who or what is behind her, but I don’t think she’s slowing down and just that interested me, I guess. But also apparently makes me a fantasist and a crackpot and completely on my own. And, you know, frankly, I don’t give a shit anymore. She is outsmarting the smartest of us, and for that, she deserves to do or kill whoever the hell she wants. I mean, if she’s not killing me, then, frankly, it’s not my job to care anymore.
Eve Polastri : I am going to find the thing you care about the most, and I am going to kill it.
Eve Polastri : My tits are about to drop off.
Eve Polastri : Because part of me’s still in love with you. It’s pathetic, I know. I mean, we were forever ago, but I guess I’m just stuck. Yes, I’ve been with plenty of other women, buried myself in work, but You show up again in my life, Annalise, and I’m just done. You still have me, and I hate it. I don’t hate you, but I I hate how you make me feel. Because I can’t have you.
Eve Polastri : I think about you all the time. I think about what you’re wearing and what you’re doing and who you’re doing it with. I think about what friends you have. I think about what you eat before you work and what shampoo you use and what happened in your family. I think about your eyes and your mouth and what you feel when you kill someone. I think about what you had for breakfast. I just want to know everything.
Eve Polastri : ‘There are no trails. If they are random, then fine, they’re random.’
Eve Polastri : If you sleep with more than 2 pillows you’re a psychopath. Villanelle: A comfortable psychopath.
Eve Polastri : God, it’s amazing how efficient things are when you’re a dick to people?

Carolyn: Thirty seven years in British intelligence and I just can’t bring myself to book a good hotel. I rather like the grubby ones.
Carolyn: It is disappointing that the mole is the one who looks the most like a rodent.
Carolyn: I once saw a rat drink from a can of Coke there. Both hands. Extraordinary.

As you may have guessed the four major characters are all played by women
Jodie Comer ... Villanelle (psychopathic assassin)
Sandra Oh ... Eve Polastri (Mi6 agent)
Fiona Shaw ... Carolyn Martens (team leader)
Kirby Howell-Baptiste ... Elena Felton ( technical analyst for Eve)

Supporting roles played
Kim Bodnia ... Konstantin Vasiliev (mysterious operative of Villanelle )
Sean Delaney ... Kenny Stowton (technical analyst for Eve)
Owen McDonnell ... Niko Polastri (Eve's husband)
February 18th, 2019 at 5:37:15 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

The show specializes in snappy dialogue.

I bailed after 5 1/2 episodes
A dangerous killer goes in a nightclub and an old man investigator follows with no weapon or back up. A dangerous killer is shooting at Eve's car and she gets out to confront the killer unarmed. A dangerous killer breaks into Eve's place while she is there and they decide to have dinner together. WTF
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 19th, 2019 at 7:31:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
I bailed after 5 1/2 episodes

Bailed at 5.5 out of 8 episodes. Usually, people that get that far in a series finish it.

I will admit that it does have an air of unreality.

February 19th, 2019 at 10:27:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bailed at 5.5 out of 8 episodes. Usually, people that get that far in a series finish it.

I lasted 37 seconds of the trailer.
I can only imagine how disjointed
and weird the actual show is. It's
like one of those terrible shows
Nflix makes. Any show that has
that many women in it is going
to be awful.

I used to be a big fan of Sex in the
City. I tried watching the SINTC
movie the other night and made
it thru the first 30 min. They're
all so whiny and self centered, how
did I ever like the show.
Page 2 of 3<123>