Spoiler Dicussion of The Force Awakens

Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »
December 23rd, 2015 at 7:16:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Daisy is a real find, and the character is very appealing. She is only 23 years old and has almost no credits (6 guest appearances on TV shows in UK, and 1 voice acting in low budget animated film).

As far as I can tell, that's par for the course in SW. For the first movie the only actor with big name recognition was Sir Alec. Ford had a decent career to that point, but he wasn't well-known. I'm less certain about the prequels, but Natalie Portman wasn't known before them.

John Boyega isn't bad at all, either. If it was him in the opening sequence on Jakku (hard to tell when he's wearing a mask), he did an amazing job showing self-doubt while his face was hidden, and without using his voice at all. Watch when Phasma gives the order to fire. He doesn't just hold back from pulling the trigger. That's the no-question best acting of the whole film.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 23rd, 2015 at 7:22:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
And that explains why Mark Hamill just appears in two scenes and doesn't speak at all.

Oh, no question Ford is by far the most popular actor in this movie.

$307 million Star Wars (#1 in 1977) 43m tickets in 11 weeks
$209 million Empire Strikes Back (#1 in 1980) 50m tickets in 11 weeks
$253 million Return of the Jedi (#1 in 1983) 68m tickets in 11 weeks

Another one of those inevitable questions is in the 1970s sequels were not expected to do as well in box office as the original, although Star Wars showed in theaters for over a year to sell that many tickets.

Today, studios hope that sequels will continually do better than the originals.

So if the next Star Wars film doesn't do as well as the first one, do you accept it as inevitable, or do you resurrect Han Solo?

FUN FACTOID (It took the original Star Wars about 6 weeks from Memorial Day to Independence Day to sell as many tickets as "Star War, The Force Awakens" sold in 29 hours). Star Wars had made it's network television premiere in the USA on February 26th 1984 that CBS (6.5 years after movie theater premier).

Maybe that is why movies used to became part of the culture, instead of just a shooting star.
December 23rd, 2015 at 8:41:30 AM permalink
Nareed
So if the next Star Wars film doesn't do as well as the first one, do you accept it as inevitable, or do you resurrect Han Solo?

That would be a very hard sell. he was skewered by a light sabre, his body then fell down a very long way, and the planet it was on blew up.

Spock got lucky they didn't cremate him.
December 23rd, 2015 at 8:54:58 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think "force ghost" would be out of character for Han Solo. There is a way, though - what if the force ghost appearance was a function of the force power of the person who sees/summons it, rather than of the force power of the deceased? I wouldn't like it, but it is a way.

He could definitely appear in flashbacks, though - with his son when they were younger, or with Leia.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 23rd, 2015 at 9:55:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
There is a way, though - what if the force ghost appearance was a function of the force power of the person who sees/summons it, rather than of the force power of the deceased? I wouldn't like it, but it is a way.

Could force ghosts do anything other than communicate?

Maybe Kenobi guided Solo to Luke on Hoth, but other than that all Kenobi did was tell Luke things. If that's all, then what value is there in Rey (who else) making Solo appear in force-ghostly form?

Oh, the obvious is to sway Kylo Ren in some way. But he's familiar with the force and would know Rey was projecting his dad like a hologram.
December 23rd, 2015 at 11:04:33 AM permalink
Nareed
<blush> Rookie mistake.

Kilo Ren could project Solo to sway Rey, given Rey is less experienced, Luke did not get really the full Jedi training, and they may not be aware of this limitation. Not to mention Rey would have much stronger feelings of affection for Han than Ren would.

It could make for quite poignant scene, too, if Ren can be subtle about it.
December 23rd, 2015 at 12:31:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
It could make for quite poignant scene, too, if Ren can be subtle about it.

I don't know if he should be called by his first or full name "Kylo Ren". Adam Driver is age 32, so nearly a decade older than the other two new stars. His vita is not quite as barren, but almost. His acting didn't quite have the same impact, but he was wearing a mask for much of the movie.
December 23rd, 2015 at 1:30:04 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't know if he should be called by his first or full name "Kylo Ren".

He's the villain. he can be demeaned however we please :)

Quote:
Adam Driver is age 32, so nearly a decade older than the other two new stars. His vita is not quite as barren, but almost. His acting didn't quite have the same impact, but he was wearing a mask for much of the movie.

I found his performance ok. The synthesized voice lends him more authority. When he tries to defend his action regarding the map, Rey and the missing droid, he seems like a scared child claiming it's not his fault.

Unlike his grandfather, he throws tantrums and destroys equipment when he's angry. But at least he doesn't casually dispose of underlings who displease him, again unlike his grandfather.

I hope they don't rethread the redemption story as they did with Vader. I have to ignore a lot of prequels (namely all three) to give Vader a smidgen of goodwill for throwing the emperor down the shaft and saving his son. I do a lot better with the whole trilogy by pretending the prequels never happened.
December 23rd, 2015 at 2:33:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I really disliked Titanic, I never understood
it's appeal. Way too long, dumb story,
really silly in parts. They had the love
starved duo roaming about this super
over crowded ship, all alone in some
scenes. I had a lot of complaints like
that, but have forgotten all of them.
A friend of mine saw it 3 times in a
theater. I'll never see it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 23rd, 2015 at 3:29:49 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
He doesn't have anyone to teach him how to control/harness his anger. In other words, discipline. Even the dark side has discipline.

I also found him to be really non-threatening when he didn't have the mask on. I think that was probably the point.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »