Play Clue!

Page 1 of 231234>Last »
December 26th, 2015 at 5:28:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
Who wants to play this classic boardgame?

We can play it here at DT. If you want to be a player, I'd say you just need the ability to come here once most days. You wouldn't need to show up every day, as the game will have a mechanism to perform your "disprove a suggestion" function without you. But obviously if you think you'd play only a few days a week that's probably not going to work. The game will also have a mechanism to move on without a player, should someone break their laptop or whatever.

Without going into more detail just now, please respond if you would like to play. It'll be fun!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2015 at 7:29:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Can we play naturally, with our own board, or do we need to download software? I don't see why we couldn't play naturally, other than the potential to cheat. We would also need somebody to facilitate with the distribution of cards and well as those for the murder.

Also, I have had arguments over whether Clue is played with one or two dice. As a kid, I always used one, but the new games come with two.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 26th, 2015 at 8:05:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
You are hereby warned that discussion will create an irresistible need to play LOL. But I am confident we can play without constant attendance, which only a few could do.

Quote: Wizard
Can we play naturally, with our own board, or do we need to download software?

I have tried pbem* for other games where each uses his own board. The problem becomes that you wind up with boards that aren't the same. I have tried playing at work by simplifying moving and not getting out the game and setting it up at all. It works, but there will still instances of confusion about where a player was on the board. Diligence by all players helps avoid this.

I tried to find on the internet software to play this game. There are hints it exists, but I couldn't find it. Hasbro may be shutting down some stuff.

Quote:
I don't see why we couldn't play naturally, other than the potential to cheat. We would also need somebody to facilitate with the distribution of cards and well as those for the murder.

It seems essential that someone sit out and handle all that as a non-player. I am volunteering to be that first person. If this non-player can devote some time to it, it allows people to play who can't be at the keyboard all the time, as he can take over the duty of disproving suggestions when a player is absent.

Quote:
Also, I have had arguments over whether Clue is played with one or two dice. As a kid, I always used one, but the new games come with two.

It will continue to be argued. IMO we should eliminate the dice! Players just move with equal speed. Blocking gets eliminated. If you like an element of luck, and I do, it definitely still exists. IMO the element of luck added by the dice is not necessary although if you play at home, why not. For us, the added need to identify where everybody is all the time would be undesirable. Trust me on this.

*play by email, idea comes from play by mail for chess. Trust me, you get to respect those chess players who can do it (thing of the past I think)
December 26th, 2015 at 12:06:09 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'm definitely interested in playing. What a fun idea!

I really wish, since we're talking interactive, the board had a function for a chat room. I would run a trivia and word games hour several times a week if we had one, and I think it would be a great group for it, with the collective knowledge. The chat room could provide a lot of functionality for games like this as well.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 26th, 2015 at 12:27:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Does it matter if I can't remember how to play Clue? I think I played it only a few times ever and that was a long time ago. Never owned the game.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2015 at 12:28:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
BTW, this is something, once you get it up an going, you could always mention it on the other board if you still need recruits.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2015 at 12:29:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Does it matter if I can't remember how to play Clue? I think I played it only a few times ever and that was a long time ago. Never owned the game.

Never played it, I remember a dopey
movie called Clue that was about a
board game. Monopoly was all I
remember playing, and chess.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2015 at 12:33:45 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine

Clue is definitely a game that can be played for the first time and you can play just fine. Probably you will catch on to strategies to try and mistakes to avoid by the 2nd or 3rd game better though.

Clearly, the idea is "process of elimination" ... however, there are other elements to the game.
December 26th, 2015 at 2:32:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Never played it, I remember a dopey
movie called Clue that was about a
board game. Monopoly was all I
remember playing, and chess.

Never saw the movie, but it had three endings for use at different theaters so you did not know who did it.
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2015 at 2:38:37 PM permalink
odiousgambit
We have 4 who will play including me, some indicated by private message ... plus the Wizard is showing interest ... but he has not committed

I will post soon how it will work with no dice ... I suggest in the meantime you should let me know if you are playing
Page 1 of 231234>Last »