Simple question?

Thread Rating:

April 6th, 2017 at 11:29:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Pacomartin
I think that people forget one of the most basic rules of logic. "No one can prove a negative." It doesn't matter what the subject is about.

Don't tell me. I made my sig just for FrGamble as he likes to claim it matters that we can't prove a negative.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 7th, 2017 at 12:56:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
But faith is how we live our lives in making reasonable decisions based on the information we have.

I agree. I believe my car will stop when I
apply the brakes because I've tested it
and seen the math. I believe the plane
my son flies will get where it's going
safely for the same reasons. Show me
real evidence for a god existing and
I will believe it. You have hearsay and
speculation, just like all superstitious
beliefs. If you had real evidence this
world would be a far different place
than it is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2017 at 1:01:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
If I believed there was real evidence for a god, I'd certainly admit it.

But I'm not sure FrGamble will admit what he takes for evidence is not enough for evidence. That's why religion is what it is, and not geology, or biology, or physics or some other discipline.

I'll easily admit that religion and theology are not biology or physics and that the requirement for evidence to make a conclusion are different. Philosophy and the higher sciences that are not based solely on observable phenomenon, but also on logical argument and personal experience are very different than the natural sciences.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 7th, 2017 at 1:05:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Don't tell me. I made my sig just for FrGamble as he likes to claim it matters that we can't prove a negative.

You signature line is fine and I agree with it. No one has ever proven that you are not God, true. No one actually believes you are God, also true. You can't claim something just by the absence of evidence. You can't say there is a God without some reason to say that nor can you say there is no God without some reason to believe it. If all you have is nothing you can't make a positive statement either way.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 7th, 2017 at 1:11:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I agree. I believe my car will stop when I
apply the brakes because I've tested it
and seen the math. I believe the plane
my son flies will get where it's going
safely for the same reasons. Show me
real evidence for a god existing and
I will believe it. You have hearsay and
speculation, just like all superstitious
beliefs. If you had real evidence this
world would be a far different place
than it is.

I bet when you rent a car you have faith that the brakes work not because you've tested them but because you have faith in the person or company renting you the car. I wouldn't call that superstition.
April 7th, 2017 at 2:11:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Philosophy and the higher sciences

But philosophy is not a science, far
from it.

"Philosophy is not science. For it employs the rational tools of logical analysis and conceptual clarification in lieu of empirical measurement." Philosophy Is Not a Science
By Julian Friedland

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/philosophy-is-not-a-science/?_r=0
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2017 at 2:18:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
I bet when you rent a car you have faith that the brakes work not because you've tested them .

Oh but I do test them. In fact in one
car, a Honda, I never made it out of
the parking garage because the brakes
were bad. They were spongy and no
way was I taking that car anywhere.

You believe in god with no evidence
other than others testimony and
what you call 'personal experience'.
There are plenty of people who claim
they have been abducted by aliens.
Should we take them all at their word
just because there are a bunch of them
telling similar stories? I don't think so.
April 7th, 2017 at 9:06:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Oh but I do test them. In fact in one
car, a Honda, I never made it out of
the parking garage because the brakes
were bad. They were spongy and no
way was I taking that car anywhere.

What if the guys response was that your personal experience of the brakes being spongy was wrong and insisted that there was nothing wrong with the brakes?

Quote:
You believe in god with no evidence
other than others testimony and
what you call 'personal experience'.
There are plenty of people who claim
they have been abducted by aliens.
Should we take them all at their word
just because there are a bunch of them
telling similar stories? I don't think so.

What if more than 90% of the world said they were abducted by aliens? I still don't think we should just take them at their word but would you still say that there was no evidence and that their personal experience was a bunch of baloney? What if they had evidence of their abduction like a cloth with an imprint of the aliens that no one could reproduce or explain how the image got there?
April 7th, 2017 at 9:43:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
What if more than 90% of the world said they were abducted by aliens? I still don't think we should just take them at their word but would you still say that there was no evidence and that their personal experience was a bunch of baloney? What if they had evidence of their abduction like a cloth with an imprint of the aliens that no one could reproduce or explain how the image got there?

I actually think the numbers of people who believe in various false things is pretty high. We often call them "old wives tales" as well as superstition.

Chinese have helped decimate rhino populations for the magic of beliefs in its virility of rhino horns, for instance.

Yes, some things do end up having some truth to them -- like some properties of chicken soup.

Americans are suppose to be a first world sophisticated country but too often we have large groups of people doing the same things.

So, I wouldn't say it's unusual to have large groups of people who believe some nonsense.

Heck, on top of that when money is to made all kinds of false claims are made and promoted. A good portion of those infomercial products don't work nearly as well as the hype suggests. People must be buying them still.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 8th, 2017 at 7:50:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think you would agree that if so many people believe something it should be seriously looked at, explored, and studied.