Simple question?

Thread Rating:

June 7th, 2017 at 11:55:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
It's puzzling that an omnipotent being can't manage to appear before more than handful of people, isn't it?

Jesus is just like UFO abductions, seen by few,
believed by many for no apparent reason.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2017 at 4:04:50 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
It's puzzling that an omnipotent being can't manage to appear before more than handful of people, isn't it? You'd think the Jesus episode would have played not only in Europe, but also in Africa, Asia, the Americas and Oceanía, all at the same time.
We all crucified Him, so in a way He has appeared before us all.
June 7th, 2017 at 6:38:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
We all crucified Him, so in a way He has appeared before us all.

You crucified him? No you didn't, the Romans did,
along with 100K other poor souls. Don't take credit
for something you had nothing to do with just so
you can be a martyr..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2017 at 10:38:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Should the different splinters of Christianity qualify as variants of one religion, or as separate religions?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 5th, 2017 at 11:11:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Should the different splinters of Christianity qualify as variants of one religion, or as separate religions?

Separate religions, nobody knows what they're
doing in that crazy thing. The more I get into it,
the more convoluted it becomes. There are 2500
offshoots because nobody can figure the stupid
out. Yet they all think they're correct, LOL.
July 5th, 2017 at 1:13:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

It's all under one umbrella, unless one says another one is so wrong it's not. So??? Yeah.

One of the answers I found to are Mormons Christian is "; Are Mormons Christians? ... Do we not worship Christ" So there, I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 5th, 2017 at 1:30:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
It's all under one umbrella, unless one says another one is so wrong it's not. So??? Yeah.

Consider three splinters: Catholicism, Lutheranism and Calvinism.

All three have an objective: the ever-elusive salvation. But all three have radical different means for achieving it.

All three agree that sin happens, or that people sin (whatever). Catholicism claims the antidote to sin comes in parts: 1) faith (in Jesús or Jehovah, or the Invisible Deity or all three, or something), 2) confession, 3) absolution and 4) penance (I may not be using the right technical terms). the last includes "good" works, and used to be available for purchase in the form of indulgences.

Lutheranism says their God is inscrutable, or beyond mere human means, so the only antidote is faith (see above), and I suppose to trust in this God person. As you cannot possibly know whether anything you can do in the realm of "good" works would help or hurt your chances of salvation.

Calvinism says their God already created you either saved or not, so there's nothing you can do anyway that would help, and one assumes hurt, your chances of going to hell or spending the rest of eternity attending church 24/7.

they seem radically different to me.

And that's before we even delve into the matter of authorities.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 5th, 2017 at 4:32:42 PM permalink
pew
Consider three splinters: Catholicism, Lutheranism and Calvinism.

All three have an objective: the ever-elusive salvation. But all three have radical different means for achieving it.

All three agree that sin happens, or that people sin (whatever). Catholicism claims the antidote to sin comes in parts: 1) faith (in Jesús or Jehovah, or the Invisible Deity or all three, or something), 2) confession, 3) absolution and 4) penance (I may not be using the right technical terms). the last includes "good" works, and used to be available for purchase in the form of indulgences.

Lutheranism says their God is inscrutable, or beyond mere human means, so the only antidote is faith (see above), and I suppose to trust in this God person. As you cannot possibly know whether anything you can do in the realm of "good" works would help or hurt your chances of salvation.

Calvinism says their God already created you either saved or not, so there's nothing you can do anyway that would help, and one assumes hurt, your chances of going to hell or spending the rest of eternity attending church 24/7.

they seem radically different to me.

And that's before we even delve into the matter of authorities.
It's called soteriology or how a person comes to be born again. All three examples would agree that a person is saved by grace alone. by faith alone, through Christ alone. That makes them all the same. The methodology (the how) is what they differ on.
July 5th, 2017 at 5:44:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
All three examples would agree that a person is saved by grace alone. by faith alone, through Christ alone. That makes them all the same.

Baloney, and you know it. Ever hear an argument
between a works Xtion and a grace Xtion? They
almost come to blows, they agree so much.
July 5th, 2017 at 8:01:57 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Evenbob
Baloney, and you know it. Ever hear an argument
between a works Xtion and a grace Xtion? They
almost come to blows, they agree so much.
Correct! they disagree on the how, not the what.