Simple question?

Thread Rating:

July 11th, 2018 at 11:52:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
You are confused. Believing in God will obviously effect how you think and live. Not believing in God certainly does. It is not religion that tries to control how we think it is our ideas.

Lots and lots of people believe
in god and it has almost no
impact on their lives at all.
Prisons world wide are packed
with god believers. The average
person on the street will say sure,
they believe in god. That's the last
time that day they will think about it.

The god religions, Xtionity, Mormonism,
Islam, Judaism, are all about control,
physical control and mind control. My
ex priest friend said most of what he
heard in confession were things people
had done in their thoughts, not in
reality. He eventually felt like the mind
police.

God religions are started because they want
to control what people say and do. That's
the whole point. It's why god people get so
upset with atheists. They think, my gosh, that
person has no control in his life, he can do
whatever he wants. We must stop him.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 11th, 2018 at 12:12:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
You are confused. Believing in God will obviously effect how you think and live. Not believing in God certainly does. It is not religion that tries to control how we think it is our ideas.
If people actually believed in God instead of just claiming they believe, there would be zero need for confession.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 11th, 2018 at 12:43:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph
If people actually believed in God instead of just claiming they believe, there would be zero need for confession.

Ah, from your lips to God's ears. However, we both know human nature enough to realize believing in something doesn't mean we will or can live out that belief perfectly. This isn't just religion. None of us can even live up to our own personal standards perfectly. I believe in God and need confession a lot.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 11th, 2018 at 12:58:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
believing in something doesn't mean we will or can live out that belief perfectly.

Or at all. Like I said, prisons are
chock full of god believers. And
most people don't obey what
god wants, they obey what society
wants, because the punishments
for not obeying are real.

Look what happens during a blackout.
People who otherwise would never
think of stealing are all of a sudden
looting stores and carrying off TV's.
And laughing about it. It's been shown
again and again that if people think
they can get away with something, they'll
try, god watching and all.

Quote:
I believe in God and need confession a lot.

No doubt, that's how you were raised
and indoctrinated. I have never confessed
and feel zero need to. Just thinking about
it is ludicrous and a major invasion of my
space and privacy. That you would do it
willingly is frightening to me, because it
means you think you can do really bad
things and it will be fine if you just confess
it to another priest. I live under no such
delusion. Look at pedophile priests, you
just know some of their incentive is they
think god will forgive them. This is what's
so insidious about organized religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 11th, 2018 at 2:57:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
... However, we both know human nature enough to realize believing in something doesn't mean we will or can live out that belief perfectly.
One or both things can be questioned. If you are doing something you don't believe, both can't be true at the same time.

Quote:
This isn't just religion. None of us can even live up to our own personal standards perfectly.
I disagree. We can live up to our personal standards, at that time. Standards for non xtians are fungible , the difference is we know the voices in our heads are our own. Does the voice in your head make you feel bad because you broke some agreement or expectation with a super entity that hangs out in your head? When the thoughts finally settle down, is it your voice in your head forgiving you, or is it some other voice? What does it sound like, you or God?

Quote:
I believe in God and need confession a lot.
I'm assuming that you are needing confession for committing sin? Why would you sin if you accepted that it were a sin in the first place? I do think if I believed what you profess to believe, I wouldn't commit what is said to be sins? Is that the devil making you sin?

It doesn't sound like you get much peace from religion with all that going on in your head all the time.

Do your thoughts keep you awake at night?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 11th, 2018 at 3:08:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Ah, from your lips to God's ears. However, we both know human nature enough to realize believing in something doesn't mean we will or can live out that belief perfectly. This isn't just religion. None of us can even live up to our own personal standards perfectly. I believe in God and need confession a lot.

Oops, now you've drawn me in to ask about original sin again. So Human nature was doomed to fail even before it failed? Sounds like a set up. You were made with a weakness and designed to fall into the trap of original sin.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 11th, 2018 at 3:24:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph

It doesn't sound like you get much peace from religion with all that going on in your head all the time.

Atheists are much more at peace
than god people. They're always
worried about something, it drives
me nuts.

There's a great old zen story. Two
monks are walking along a road and
they come to a stream. There is a
young lady there in fine clothes that
will ruin them if she wades across.
The order the monks are in forbids
them to touch or talk to women.

Without thinking, the bigger monk
picks up the lady and carries her
across and the monks go on their
way. Later, the one who didn't pick
up the lady is clearly agitated. He
reminds the bigger monk that he
broke a major rule by carrying the
lady across the stream. The bigger
monk says: "I put her down hours
ago, why are you still carrying her."

That what Xtions do, they fret and
they stew, they're always fidgeting
about something. Atheists for the
most part have a clear mind about
things.
July 12th, 2018 at 11:58:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob
No doubt, that's how you were raised
and indoctrinated. I have never confessed
and feel zero need to. Just thinking about
it is ludicrous and a major invasion of my
space and privacy. That you would do it
willingly is frightening to me, because it
means you think you can do really bad
things and it will be fine if you just confess
it to another priest. .

Atheists are much more at peace
than god people. They're always
worried about something, it drives
me nuts..

Wow, I feel somewhat vindicated. FrG did
not respond to either post, which means
he agrees with me and has no response.
Looks I got through to him, finally..
July 12th, 2018 at 12:36:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Sorry, I am traveling and if I can't handle writing something quick with my phone I have to wait to get to a place with a computer.

Lots and lots of people believe
in god and it has almost no
impact on their lives at all.

Simply not true. Imagine for a second if you believed your life was not a cosmic accident and that you were created thoughtfully and lovingly, wouldn't that fundamentally change your life? What if you believed that your life was of infinite dignity, as was the life of every person you ever met, wouldn't that change your life? Imagine what impact it would have if you believed that you were created with purpose and with a goal to get to Heaven and help as many people as possible to get there as well? Imagine what impact it would have on your life to know you were going to be judged at the end of your life, that you will be held accountable for your life?

I do hope that someone who is an atheist does not let their beliefs impact their lives at all, because that would be scary.

Quote:
God religions are started because they want
to control what people say and do. That's
the whole point. It's why god people get so
upset with atheists. They think, my gosh, that
person has no control in his life, he can do
whatever he wants. We must stop him.

Religions started because people believe God has revealed Himself and/or some truth that is important for mankind to know. It starts because others found something that is a gift from God and they want to share it. An atheist who thinks they are not under control is ludacrious. You are controlled by the unholy Trinity of Me, Myself, and I. Your God is your stomach and your other passions. You've said it before - you are controlled by whatever you want to do. If you don't want to do it, you don't. A simplistic and childish way to live, but it is what controls you. I would much rather base my life on something time tested and proven and that doesn't totally depend on me and my whims and wishes.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 12th, 2018 at 12:39:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
It's been shown
again and again that if people think
they can get away with something, they'll
try, god watching and all.

While I appreciate your support for the dogma of Original Sin, it is not that bad. You speak so often in absolutes and without any nuance that I can hardly take you seriously.

Quote:
I have never confessed
and feel zero need to.

That is not true. I am sure you have apologized and said you are sorry many times in your life. I also know that you have felt the need and desire for forgiveness in your life.