What's hard to imagine is a world where
there is the god people pray to. A god
that lets kids in Africa die by the hundreds
daily, with their parents praying fervently
for their survival. That's a sick god, a
horrible god, a perverted god. I'm glad
he only exists in twisted minds and not
for real.

You know what I think is twisted - to think for a even a second that these starving children won't experience eternal joy and happiness. It sickens me to the point of nausea that someone can condemn such faithful good people who suffer in this world to meaningless suffering with no hope. I know atheism is bereft of any logic or truth, but I shudder at its heartless failure. What is just as bad is Evenbob doesn't recognize this starving and sickness is often caused by the sin of greed. We have the food to feed everyone and we in the US have medicine that could help. However, Bob would rather blame God and ignore the obvious reality of sin so he can shirk his duty to truly care and help his fellow man. So damn sad!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 28th, 2018 at 5:38:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
even a second that these starving children won't experience eternal joy and happiness.

Lets you and your god conveniently
off the hook, doesn't it. Oh well,
Xtions say, but look, there's a
bright and shiny ending we hope
is there, too bad we can't prove it.

Quote:
starving and sickness is often caused by the sin of greed.

What does that have to do with
your god not saving dying kids.
You people always have a dozen
excuses why god does nothing,
it's an amazing thing to watch.

Quote:
However, Bob would rather blame God !

I can't blame god, there is no god
to blame. I blame the stupidity of
people who waste their time praying
when they should be taking affirmative
action to radically change their lives.
Praying does as much good as doing
nothing at all, as the results so
obviously show us.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2018 at 7:34:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Lets you and your god conveniently
off the hook, doesn't it.

Actually it is what puts Jesus on the cross as He suffers with and for those who suffer in this life. He also was raised from the dead to give us the certain hope in eternal life. You can say that He actually did not rise from the dead but then you are just left dumb and speechless trying to explain Jesus' impact on the world, the fervent zeal of His early followers that changed the world, and the establishment of the Church that continues today, he becomes the founder of the largest religion in the world, still today billions of people claim their life has been forever changed for the better by Him.

Jesus also puts us on the cross and commands us to sacrificially love our neighbor as ourselves and to serve those who are in need and recognize the dignity of every human person no matter what. This is why the Catholic Church is still the largest charitable organization in the world.

The fact of the matter is you are trying to get yourself off the hook. You point out this children as a sick punchline to criticize a God whom you don't even believe in. The only time you probably think of these starving kids is when you bring out this tired argument. Your messed up Atheisitic view of life not only absolves you from having to care about the children but it allows you to just watch them die without so much as shedding a tear. It's not my problem you would say. That is not an option for a follower of Christ.

Quote:
Praying does as much good as doing
nothing at all, as the results so
obviously show us.

Again your hubris and audacity astound me! How dare you say that prayer does nothing. Prayer and my relationship with God is what inspires, guides, and animates me to do all that I do. It does the same thing to more people than you can possibly count. The results are so obvious that prayer is essential to all the help that happens all over the globe that you must be blind not to see it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 28th, 2018 at 7:53:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Just because you say I am wrong,
doesn't mean I am,

Bob you are saying things that are incorrect about Christianity and Catholicism. I am not just saying you are wrong because I think you are wrong or I want you to be wrong. You are factually incorrect about so many things and I have tried to point those out to you. You are also almost always wrong about theology. Surely you realize that this is because you are coming from a place of hatred and attack?!? How could you possibly be right about anything if all you want to do is ridicule and embarrass? It is a very weak and soft argument to say that the only reason you are wrong is because FrG said so. No, you are wrong because you are ignorant of and prejudiced against Christians, Catholics, and all believers of God (not to mention democrats, gays, women, immigrants, and Uber drivers).

Quote:
oh mighty
one who thinks he's right about
everything to the point of being
ridiculous about it.

I am wrong about a great many things but usually not when it comes to Catholicism.

Quote:
You can't prove me wrong on any
of these points,

What I can do and have done is show to you a couple of things:
- proving something only happens in the theoretical level and usually in regards to math. Almost every decision you make in your life every day has an element of faith involved.
- faith is a reasonable decision based on evidence such as experience both in the past and present, history, science, logic, philosophy, testimony, etc. The accumulation of evidence leads to an act of faith. Blind faith is acting without any evidence or against evidence.
- religious faith is a reasonable decision based on the accumulation of lots of the above evidence.
- In particular we have talked a lot about the argument about contingency and that if something is in motion it must have had something act upon it, since this process cannot lead to an actual infinite regress their logically must be an unmoved mover. The same is true about contingency and creation.
- I have shown you that by taking the radical stance you do that there is absolutely no God you are in the exact some position of me in having to support your statement. You try to hide behind, "you can't prove a negative." However, you are doing exactly that - you are claiming to prove there is no God or else you would not have a reasonable leg to stand on to say the outrageous things you do. It goes without saying that you have not and cannot provide any evidence proving there is no God.
- I have shown you many times the amazing person of Jesus Christ and that the only explanation to His life and lasting impact on the world is that He is who He says He is: God.
November 28th, 2018 at 8:11:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Actually it is what puts Jesus on the cross

The scapegoating continues. Jesus will
handle it, that's what he died for.
Anything to get out of being proactive.

Quote:
left dumb and speechless trying to explain Jesus' impact on the world,

This is the 20th time you've brought
this up, have you no memory at all?
The impact comes from relentlessly
making themselves the only game in
town for 1500 years. By ruthlessly
wiping out all traces of the pagan
religions, by converting by force
the Jews, who they couldn't wipe
out by force, by punishing with
arrest and death anybody who spoke
out against the Church. You can
have quite an impact when you have
brute force behind you. Jesus had
nothing to do with it, he was just
the excuse they used to do whatever
they liked.

Quote:
The only time you probably think of these starving kids

So you know the humanitarian charities I
support, then, What are they again, you
know so much about how I think.

Quote:
How dare you say that prayer does nothing. .

Just going by observation and studies done
since the late 19th century. In fact, those
studies show that not only doesn't prayer
work, often those that knew they were
being prayed for fared worse because they
believed the prayer would work and they
stopped being proactive about their illness.
Prayer is a joke, it makes the person praying
feel good, that's all it does. Like they say,
prayer and a dollar will get you something
off the dollar menu at McD's. Or just forget
the prayer, a dollar will work.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2018 at 8:18:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Bob you are saying things that are incorrect about Christianity and Catholicism.

I usually have sources, which you ignore
or say are wrong. In fact, you're the
most wrong source I have on the religion.
Quite a feat. It's because you believe every
lie the Vatican spits out, you live in a bubble.

Quote:
I have shown you many times the amazing person of Jesus Christ .

That has the same weight as saying
you've showed me the greatness
of Santa. Myths are only as great
as you're belief in them. Jesus is
dead and Santa never existed, end
of story. You need to read more Bart
Ehrman and less crap vomited up
by the Vatican.
November 29th, 2018 at 11:06:29 AM permalink
FrGamble
Jesus will
handle it, that's what he died for.
Anything to get out of being proactive.

What are you talking about?!? Jesus is the one who calls us to proactive and commands us to love others like He has loved us. To sacrifice and pour ourselves out in service to others. It is you who are getting out of being proactive and at the same time depriving people of hope.

Quote:
This is the 20th time you've brought
this up, have you no memory at all?

And this is the 20th time you continue to respond with untruths. For the beginning of the Church's history it was a small collection of simple men and women who were persecuted and killed by everyone from their own religious leaders to the most powerful empire at the time. When you say it was because of the Church's power you are simply factually and historically not speaking the truth. You are also not factually and historically telling the truth when you say that people were consistently and systematically converted by force. This didn't happen and it is not just me saying all of this, this is history that you conveniently ignore because it doesn't fit with your fake narrative.

Quote:
So you know the humanitarian charities I
support, then, What are they again, you
know so much about how I think.

Yes, I do. You have consistently called me stupid and invasive for wanting to help the homeless and others who are in need. You have said over and over that helping someone is none of your business.
November 29th, 2018 at 11:11:18 AM permalink
FrGamble
I usually have sources, which you ignore
or say are wrong. In fact, you're the
most wrong source I have on the religion.
Quite a feat. It's because you believe every
lie the Vatican spits out, you live in a bubble.

You rarely quote your sources and even you have to admit that some of them are simply crazy. There are exceptions and those are when you quote sources about Catholicism that actually come from Catholic websites. I'm amazed that you would call me a "wrong source" for what Catholics believe. This is just more clear evidence that you just don't like what the Church really teaches because it doesn't fit with your twisted view. Instead of just writing me off why don't you just recognize that perhaps and just maybe I might know more about what Catholics actually believe than you - I know that is a shocker!

Quote:
That has the same weight as saying
you've showed me the greatness
of Santa. Myths are only as great
as you're belief in them. Jesus is
dead and Santa never existed, end
of story.

You never seem to get how ridiculous and inane these comparisons are.
November 29th, 2018 at 12:09:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Jesus is the one who calls us to proactive and commands us

Jesus died 2000 years ago, he calls
nobody to do anything. That voice
you hear is your own.

Quote:
When you say it was because of the Church's power you are simply factually and historically not speaking the truth.

If you think I'm going to look up
all those links again proving my
point, think again. Talking to you
about Church history is like trying
to talk a dog out of the juicy bone
he's got. You'll hang onto all those
Vatican lies till your dying breath,
good luck with that.

Quote:
You have consistently called me stupid and invasive for wanting to help the homeless.

Wait a minute, I'm the one who said
I give a homeless guy money to help
him when he asks, and you said I was
wrong to help him. You have that
backwards, try again..
November 29th, 2018 at 12:21:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm amazed

You're always amazed, or shocked or
dumbfounded, at my sources. You're
my worst source for Church info
because it's so easy to find 10 other
sources that prove you wrong. The
Vatican lies to you and you eat it up
because that's your job. Better you
than me..

Quote:
You never seem to get how ridiculous and inane these comparisons are.

I get it completely, why do you think
I do it. Compare one ridiculous myth,
Jesus, with an equally ridiculous myth,
Santa. Jesus did what? Walked on water,
raised the dead, pulled food and wine
out of his magic top hat? Santa does
what? Has elves making toys at the N
Pole and he delivers them on a sleigh
pulled by flying reindeer and comes down
your chimney every Xmas Eve?

Two equally ridiculous myths that serve
a purpose and are not meant to be taken
literally. You'll get a lot more out of the
Jesus story if you realize most of it never
happened. No son of a god, no dying for
sin, no miracles, no rising from the dead,
no whispering stock tips in your ear.